Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Corkscrew or Phillips SD (VOTE)

Poll

What do people prefer corkscrew or Phillips

Corkscrew
Phillips Screwdriver
No back tools

Offline mansedan

Re: Corkscrew or Phillips SD (VOTE)
Reply #30 on: August 28, 2022, 05:31:05 PM
The single biggest detractor to the Philips on SAKs is that they don’t fit into the recessed slots that are for kids toys battery compartments.

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #31 on: August 28, 2022, 05:51:28 PM
I’d have to go Philips, I have absolutely no use for wine, and I’d rather have a screwdriver on hand even if not in the best of locations, I customized a compact which I think is just about perfect, heck I drew one that I think makes total sense and would be perfect!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: August 28, 2022, 07:18:42 PM
Very cool drawing and design MP! :salute:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 07:30:10 PM by Explorer »

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: August 28, 2022, 08:25:48 PM
Very cool drawing and design MP! :salute:

:like: :iagree: :tu:
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: August 28, 2022, 10:44:43 PM
I’d have to go Philips, I have absolutely no use for wine, and I’d rather have a screwdriver on hand even if not in the best of locations, I customized a compact which I think is just about perfect, heck I drew one that I think makes total sense and would be perfect!
JR

Is that specifically the old school square Phillips, or just drawn that way?

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #35 on: August 28, 2022, 11:11:41 PM
The single biggest detractor to the Philips on SAKs is that they don’t fit into the recessed slots that are for kids toys battery compartments.

That is the case way too often! It's also the reason why, no matter which 84mm or 91mm SAK is in my pocket on a particular day, the Rambler is always with me. The 58mm combo tool is one of the best tools in all of SAK history IMHO.

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: August 29, 2022, 12:12:50 AM
Is that specifically the old school square Phillips, or just drawn that way?
That was drawn freehand, I'm not the best, drafting with a tee and squares, then we’re talking!
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: August 29, 2022, 02:26:40 AM
I drew one that I think makes total sense and would be perfect!

I might be missing something here, but it looks to me like you’ve drawn up the currently manufactured Vic Fieldmaster.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: August 29, 2022, 02:50:48 AM
P.S.  I can’t see the poll in Tapatalk, but I’m a corkscrew man all the way.  I do use it for opening wine from time to time, but it’s good for so much more than that.  Obviously it holds the mini-screwdriver, but it is also a fantastic little marlin spike for untying knots in just about any cordage whose diameter is less than the distance between the turns (e.g. shoelaces).  In addition, it’s good for digging things out of small spaces, like a broken piece of plastic out of a USB port or rice out of the charging port of an iPod (both true stories).

The BSP, meanwhile, really only has one function.  And, as others have noted, it isn’t even great at that one function due to it’s awkward position in the middle of the knife, and the fact that it is too big to fit most of the now-ubiquitous battery compartment Phillips screws.

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: August 29, 2022, 03:31:32 AM
I might be missing something here, but it looks to me like you’ve drawn up the currently manufactured Vic Fieldmaster.
Pretty much, no small blade and the scales are alox, I had a fieldmaster but someone stole it, if it had the file on the hook or the small blade was replaced with a nail file I think that would be pretty much perfect, I mean wenger made the handyman / evolution 18, which has the nail file but no hook, and is only 85mm, and I hate the openers,
JR

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: August 29, 2022, 11:29:12 AM
Yes - put the tip under the lid and rotate gently until the seal goes “pop” - the lid can then be unscrewed with relative ease.  :tu:

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #41 on: August 29, 2022, 02:57:20 PM
Alright, I finally voted.... corkscrew.

Despite recent (personal) events, I've used the corkscrew for all kinds of things that it's not designed for, just like I have the can opener. Those two are my most frequently used tools on a SAK, period.

I do wish that Victorinox would make more models with the in-line Phillips though. Also, that it was a little slimmer so it could reach more recessed screws...

Oh well. Guess recessed screws keeps the Rambler employed!

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #42 on: August 29, 2022, 08:02:35 PM
The corkscrew.  I have only opened wine with my SAK a couple of times in my entire life but I can't tell you how many times the corkscrew has been deployed to help untie a knot in my shoelaces or in tangled bundles of tent lines.  Most of mine also carry the eyeglass screwdrivers which I have used quite a few times.
 :cheers:

gb Offline CEO

Reply #43 on: August 29, 2022, 09:03:02 PM
Both

* IMG_20220829_200049.jpg (Filesize: 285.79 KB)

us Offline BladeFreak

Reply #44 on: August 30, 2022, 07:20:23 PM
Corkscrew all day for me. I've tried the back side Phillips driver carrying a Super Tinker and a Deluxe Tinker and the driver just wasn't applicable in most of the situations I found the need for it. I now carry an Explorer and don't think I'll ever be able to go with anything else. Plus, I've had a need for the corkscrew on a few occasions.

:iagree:
BladeFreak - Collector & User.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: August 30, 2022, 10:52:30 PM
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #46 on: August 31, 2022, 01:16:53 AM
I’ve been carrying my Evolution S557 the past several days. It has the in-line Phillip AND the corkscrew.

Another best of both worlds SAK just like the Explorer!

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #47 on: September 01, 2022, 04:55:31 AM
I seldom use the philips on the back.  I sometimes use the little flat driver on the can opener on philips screws.  If it's something deeply recessed I just go and find a proper philips screwdriver.  I use the corkscrew but basically I just use one old Climber for that, so the rest of them are mostly for the tiny screwdrivers etc.  I actually prefer the feeling in hand of no back tools, like a Recruit or 93mm knives.  So it's kind of hard to say.  I prefer corkscrew or no back tools.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #48 on: September 01, 2022, 05:10:32 AM
Corkscrew for me…..simply coz I use it as a holster for the micro tools, whether it be the standard flat driver or the philips and SIM card pusher of the extra kit, or fire ant fire starter kit, it’s a secure place for an extra tool depending on the knife.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #49 on: September 05, 2022, 03:58:20 AM
  :iagree:
The corkscrew is way better in my opinion. Backside phillips is awkward to use and only has one use. Corkscrew has a lot of uses. Plus, the can opener is a pretty good phillips driver.
Barry

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #50 on: September 05, 2022, 03:09:50 PM
I mean, I would rather a Philips over a corkscrew, but the Phillips should be on the front with the main set of tools, which leaves the spot open again for the corkscrew,, kinda wish they came up with something else,,
JR

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #51 on: September 05, 2022, 03:53:39 PM
I've been using, collecting, hoarding and sniffing Swiss Army Knives for 30 years, and have never used the corkscrew.  For me, its just a waste of space.  As for a phillips, it should be inline like God intended.

I have spoken.   :ahhh

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #52 on: September 05, 2022, 04:10:13 PM
Like powernoodle, I have never used a corkscrew, wait I take that back, I screwed it into a tree back when I first got my first sak and ended up snapping the screw part off, thus why I never bought anything with a corkscrew again besides a champion+ for the kids and their 12bday, and well, I kinda got one :whistle: but other then that I’ve staid clear and kinda fell for alox, thus no tools on the back side, plus cool scales, but no Phillips of corkscrew, but I kinda had something made up which took care of that problem,,
JR

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #53 on: September 05, 2022, 05:59:52 PM
I was lucky enough to win the Urban X in the recent fundraiser giveaway. It has the in-line Phillips and bottle opener/can opener in the same configuration as yours.

That in-line Phillips is REALLY hard to open! Maybe because it’s opening against two springs?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%