Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The October 2022 EDC Fixed Blade Challenge

Alan K. · 873 · 16680

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: The October 2022 EDC Fixed Blade Challenge
Reply #840 on: November 01, 2022, 03:14:35 AM
Wow, a birthday gift!
Totally unexpected to receive that baby blue cutter.

Thank you!
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

au Offline Echotech

Reply #841 on: November 01, 2022, 04:22:50 AM
Congratulations LC :like: awesome prize Alan  :hatsoff:

You're quite correct about me liking the Sharpfinger, I like it a lot. It's a good size for me, why I like the Mora Eldris too, although agree about it needing two hands
 :cheers:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #842 on: November 01, 2022, 05:00:58 AM
Congrats LoopCutter.  Awesome gift Alan.

za Offline Humayd A R Mahomedy

Reply #843 on: November 01, 2022, 05:06:06 AM
Day 31

I've enjoyed occasionally carrying a fixed blade knife for many years and have tried many knives over that time.  My ideal EDC fixie is a knife that does everything for me that I would otherwise do with a folding pocket knife including being easy to carry on the belt, in a pocket, or around the neck, but in a sturdier, non-folding, format.  Sadly, I still have not found the answer to the question about which knife is "the best" EDC fixed blade.  I liked most of the knives in the challenge.  My takeaway from this challenge is this, that different people have different needs and what is ideal for one of us may not suit everyone else.  I bought the Bradford Guardian 3.5S for the challenge and found that it is a good user, but I didn't really like carrying it.  I did enjoy carrying and using the old Schrade Sharpfingers in my collection, but Loopcutter didn't care for his Sharpfingers.  Echotech also got the bug and purchased a new Sharpfinger and seemed to like it and Cody seemed fairly happy with his off brand copy.  I liked the novelty of the Bow Legged Joe but I would probably never buy one.  The Bark River Essential was a fantastic knife that seems to be just about right for an every day carry, and the knife HARM's dad made years ago was just awesome, although I had some concerns about it prying open paint cans.  I both liked and disliked the Mora Eldris because it was easy to carry just stuffed in a pocket, or belt carried in a flashlight pouch, but it took 2 hands to deploy it which defeats some of the utility or usefulness of an EDC fixed blade knife.  I did not try out the Gerber Vertebrae because that is for the lucky recipient to use and review, in this thread, as soon as possible after they receive it.  And with that I shall commence with the drawing without further delay.

Revising the list of participants by removing myself, and those who dropped out of the challenge for their own reasons, resulted in the following 9 members who finished.

01 Sos24
02 comis
03 Nix
04 cody6268
05 GearedForwards
06 old Lefty
07 harm
08 LoopCutter
09 Echotech

Starting with 1 and ending with 9 the random number generator delivered a result of 8.  Congratulations LoopCutter!   Gordon, please PM your address to me.   I will get your prize out as soon as possible, unfortunately it will be at least a couple of weeks before I can get to a post office.   :cheers:

very cool,thank you Alan.
congrats LC

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #844 on: November 01, 2022, 09:31:56 AM
Congrats LC and very generous of you Alan!
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #845 on: November 01, 2022, 10:19:42 PM
Congratulations to LoopCutter, and thanks to Alan for a great challenge and giveaway! Was good to hear feedback on the Eldris, too.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #846 on: November 01, 2022, 11:32:11 PM
Congratulations, LC!   :clap: :clap: :clap:

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #847 on: November 02, 2022, 06:05:03 PM
Thank you Alan for your generosity and congrats LC!
Also thanks for everyone who participated and commented!
Fun month it was!

Lähetetty minun SM-T515 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

by this axe I rule

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #848 on: November 03, 2022, 02:41:00 AM
I appreciate your participating with us old Lefty. I would have liked to have seen more of the TOPS Micro Hawk.  :hatsoff:

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
Reply #849 on: November 03, 2022, 02:25:42 PM
I appreciate your participating with us old Lefty. I would have liked to have seen more of the TOPS Micro Hawk.  :hatsoff:
Thanks!
Yup, frankly I was thinking that I would use the Micro Hawk more. As stated early on, it is the best carry "fixie" in my book. Small, light and compact.
A challenge is a challenge and in quest to allow all my fixies their turn there were few days when normally the Micro Hawk would've gotten a nod over any traditional blade

Lähetetty minun SM-T515 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

by this axe I rule

us Offline cody6268

Reply #850 on: November 03, 2022, 06:49:05 PM
Based on my findings in this challenge, I bought an Izula today at New Graham Knives.

Why I didn't buy this thing years ago when I was first getting into fixed blades is beyond me. It's perfect! I screwed on the clip plate, and it fits into my back left pocket very securely.

The clerk handed me scales to a Candiru, which I didn't realize until I got home. Not sure if I should return them, or stash them in case I buy a Candiru. The Candiru is a little smaller and more appropriate for "in town" EDC than the Izula; and should actually fit in my sweatpants/shorts pocket around the house. Unlike the Izula, i can probably carry it in the chest pocket of my coat.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #851 on: November 03, 2022, 07:35:57 PM
 :tu: on the Izula.  It my only Esee and its fabulous.  I would love to conceal carry this knife for no other reason that its a great size for that.  I carry mine canted horizontally with handle facing inward at 1ish o'clock. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #852 on: November 03, 2022, 08:13:35 PM
Cody - congrats on the Izula.  If the store was giving you scales then yes return to get the proper ones.  I would doubt you would step down in size to a Candiru.

I used mine for a few years with paracord wrap on the handle, with sheath attached to life vest for canoe trips and fishing, and even kayak fishing on some small lakes. 

As I have aged I seemed a longer handle and acquired a II, same blade and same sheath. Difference is handle length. Then discovered Knife Connection, he has G10 scales that fit the Izula and provide the same length as a II model.  The Tiger orange is what I am waiting for restock.

The red on the right is the Izula!

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #853 on: November 04, 2022, 02:05:48 AM
Frankly I was thinking that I would use the Micro Hawk more. As stated early on, it is the best carry "fixie" in my book.
Sounds like you're pretty happy with TOPS, eh? I've been wondering how good they are.

Based on my findings in this challenge, I bought an Izula today.
:like:

The red on the right is the Izula!
A nice group! :tu:
USN 2000-2006

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #854 on: November 04, 2022, 03:29:46 AM
And per Cody’s tip, I found a 3” blade Ozark drop point at a Rural WalMart today for under $6. Pictures tomorrow after sharpening.
The other fix blade was a TANTO style with partial serrated edge and tactical style sheath.

The skinner style I picked has a nylon sheath, but it actually fits better in the Fast Finger sheath my USA model arrived with.

Cody knows where the bargains are to be found. 👍

Hope yours is as good!

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
Reply #855 on: November 04, 2022, 09:42:40 AM
Sounds like you're pretty happy with TOPS, eh? I've been wondering how good they are.
 :like:

Yup. I have two TOPS knives, the MicroHawk and Tom Brown Tracker. I think both do what it says in the tin quite well. Also the sheaths are intelligent and good to use
by this axe I rule

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #856 on: November 04, 2022, 02:57:20 PM
I have a TOPS Fieldcraft in 154CM.  It’s a really solid knife, well made and confidence-inspiring.  The sheath is also nice, which is noteworthy because many companies that make decent knives seem to end up treating the sheath as a cheap afterthought.

The only real negative in my view is the weight; at 14 ounces including the sheath, it certainly isn’t a lightweight option.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #857 on: November 04, 2022, 03:43:48 PM
Thanks for the feedback on TOPS! :cheers:
USN 2000-2006

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #858 on: November 04, 2022, 08:31:18 PM
And per Cody’s tip, I found a 3” blade Ozark drop point at a Rural WalMart today for under $6.
Cody knows where the bargains are to be found. 👍

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Sos24

Reply #859 on: November 05, 2022, 03:54:49 AM
Based on my findings in this challenge, I bought an Izula today at New Graham Knives.

Why I didn't buy this thing years ago when I was first getting into fixed blades is beyond me. It's perfect! I screwed on the clip plate, and it fits into my back left pocket very securely.

(Image removed from quote.)

The clerk handed me scales to a Candiru, which I didn't realize until I got home. Not sure if I should return them, or stash them in case I buy a Candiru. The Candiru is a little smaller and more appropriate for "in town" EDC than the Izula; and should actually fit in my sweatpants/shorts pocket around the house. Unlike the Izula, i can probably carry it in the chest pocket of my coat.
Congrats on the Izula.  I felt the same way when I first got mine.  It is a great all around small knife at a nice price point. 

Unfortunately, I lost mine.  I’ve been meaning to replace it, but have other similarly sized knives so it does not seem to make much sense at this time.

au Offline Echotech

The October 2022 EDC Fixed Blade Challenge
Reply #860 on: November 05, 2022, 04:15:33 AM
Decided against trying with the minichamp :think:

CRKT Catchall makes for a good food prep knife

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #861 on: November 05, 2022, 05:39:07 PM
 :iagree:  Love seeing fixed blade built for other purposes doing all kinds of tasks. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #862 on: December 08, 2022, 08:25:30 PM
My apologies to the members of this challenge as I had been tardy posting the pictures of gift received from AlanK

I received his package with the Vertabrae around Thanksgiving.  When pulled from mail box I just knew he had either misled on the size of the knife or fill the box with some real dense packing.

He included several surprises, 2 Tactcal stockings, a Gerber Mullet keychain tool, a Buck 875 folder, and the Vertabrae.

The Buck 875 was a new knife I had no knowledge of. It is a sturdy liner lock, sharp as any Buck I have handled prior.  After a little searching I learned it was part of a Buck gift pack that also included a Fix Blade model 876.  Likely sold via a Sporting Goods store in the Central Southern States, West Mississippi, Louisiana, and Eastern Texas. 
It feels good in the hand, with no edges, and the blade has a swedge on the blades back side starting just before the B, to the tip.

Thank you Alan, for hosting the challenge, selecting a gift knife, conducting the drawing and then including the additional goodies👍🤪

I will post my experiences with Vertabrae (blue fixie) in a day or two, as I am still fiddling with it!

Hope yours is as good!

au Offline Echotech

Reply #863 on: December 09, 2022, 01:46:31 AM
Thanks for the update LC, the Vertabrae looks a very practical size and shape with a comfortable handle  :like:

Great work Alan  :hatsoff: :salute:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #864 on: December 09, 2022, 09:55:53 AM
Sweet looking gift pack.

Very generous AlanK

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #865 on: December 09, 2022, 07:58:33 PM
I'm glad you found everything to your liking LC.  The Vertebrae is about the same size as the Mora Eldris so it should be very easy to carry.  I'm looking forward to learning from you how good (or bad) it is in use.
  :hatsoff: :cheers:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #866 on: December 11, 2022, 09:40:10 PM
 The Vertabrae -

This knife was selected by Alan K as a gift to be awarded to a selected member who completed the OCTOBER EDC FIXED BLADE CHALLENGE.

I was selected the  recipient of this knife!

I knife is a very familiar size, the blade is short, drop point, ideal of cutting many standard materials encountered on an adventure around camp or on a hike, and even doing tasks around the homestead.

The handle, is large, provides a round forgiving  material that is comfortable and without hotspots that other smaller edc knives do provide 😉

The sheath, or more correctly identified as blade protector is imho is the Vertabrae’s downfall. 
A long metal clip
Is connected to the cover and extends up the back side along the knife’s handle, preventing you from gripping the handle easily and release the cover from the locking latch.

I did file the covers internal latch, reducing the bump and did improve my ability to release and remove the cover, when not attached to my belt or pocket.

I used the knife frequently these past several days instead of either my Buck or Izula II, cutting paper outlines, preparing supper by trimming meat and even cutting chicken quarters to have a leg and a thigh.

The handle is comfortable and blade indexing was natural.

Here are some comparison pictures with other two users.

Continued…

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #867 on: December 11, 2022, 09:51:59 PM
Part 2, pictures of the release and blade indentation…

Image of the inscription

In summary, as a result of my old fingers releasing the latch whil the knife is riding of my belt more importantly the inscription, I will not carry this knife, or will I leave and use for tasks.
In honor of my fellow members who completed the challenge and those that attempted (my MTo family), I am displaying the knife on my family room fire place mantel along with pictures of family , grandkids and other momentous friends have sent to be these past couple years.

Thank you Alan K and thank you friends!  :hatsoff: :salute:  :cheers:

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #868 on: December 12, 2022, 05:59:50 AM
Thanks for the write-up! I guess I'd consider a Vertebrae despite the lackluster sheath/blade guard.
USN 2000-2006

au Offline Echotech

Reply #869 on: December 12, 2022, 06:05:37 AM
 :iagree: thanks LC  :tu:
I'm a big fan of the Mora Eldris and this sized fixie in general, always good to know about the options
 :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD