Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Matt’s Modified SAK Challenge

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Matt’s Modified SAK Challenge
on: September 01, 2022, 03:03:59 PM
Day 1 - Going to show one feature a day for a month on one of my favorite modified SAKs- this is a Victorinox CyberSwissChamp AVT.

Large Blade - 2.7 inches long (6.8 cm), X55CrMo14 Steel, 56 HRC. Like to use it for food prep, emergency blade or as mirror on occasion. Easy to sharpen and extremely stain resistant. One of the many reasons I like Victorinox so much.
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Matt’s Modified SAK Challenge
Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 04:24:15 PM
Day 1 - Going to show one feature a day for a month on one of my favorite modified SAKs- this is a Victorinox CyberSwissChamp AVT.

Large Blade - 2.7 inches long (6.8 cm), X55CrMo14 Steel, 56 HRC. Like to use it for food prep, emergency blade or as mirror on occasion. Easy to sharpen and extremely stain resistant. One of the many reasons I like Victorinox so much.

Nice!

:popcorn: :popcorn:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 02:52:13 AM
This will be interesting!
 :popcorn:
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Cavalier, Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
84mm: Bantam
85mm: Evolution S557, Serrated Commander, Traveler, Evolution 18
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Climber, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Spartan, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 02:54:05 PM
Day 2 - Small Blade -  1 & 5/8” (3.8 cm), same steel and HRC as main blade. I use this blade about 80% of the time and the large blade 20% of the time. Originally designated as a “ink eraser”  and earning name “pen blade.” Way underrated, as it has a thinner spine, less width, providing better control when you carve or make precision cuts. This blade even provides less risk of damaging contents when you open packages.
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #4 on: September 03, 2022, 08:23:44 PM
Day 3 - File - HRC in 60 range, great as a nail cleaner/file, and works really well as a file on soft metals, wood, plastic, etc.. or as a metal saw. Have take care if you use it as a long #1 Phillips driver or to pry since it is hardened and can break or warp.

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 05:46:34 AM
Day 3 - File - HRC in 60 range, great as a nail cleaner/file, and works really well as a file on soft metals, wood, plastic, etc.. or as a metal saw. Have to take care if you use it as a long #1 Phillips driver or to pry since it is hardened and can break or warp.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022, 04:34:32 PM
Day 2 - Small Blade -  1 & 5/8” (3.8 cm), same steel and HRC as main blade. I use this blade about 80% of the time and the large blade 20% of the time. Originally designated as a “ink eraser”  and earning name “pen blade.” Way underrated, as it has a thinner spine, less width, providing better control when you carve or make precision cuts. This blade even provides less risk of damaging contents when you open packages.
I am totally in the same boat as you, love the small blade and I too use it 80% of time.  What I like most about the small blade is regardless which part of the world I am in, hardly anyone will rise an eyebrow if I use it in public.  :tu:

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #7 on: September 04, 2022, 05:11:25 PM
If you think the small blade is under appreciated, then the next tool is the most unappreciated on the SwissChamp. All tools from now till the end of this challenge are X39Cr13 steel with HRC 53. Springs are X20Cr13 HRC 45. Day 4 - Fish Scaler - excellent to remove fish hooks (pliers work as well), not so good for fish scales, great imperial or metric ruler, range finder - hold tool open at arms length, average man is 6 foot (1.8 meters)  in height, count number of serrations compared to man as target in distance, divide 300m or 1000ft by number serrations covering target  to determine distance. Also may help playing golf, just get a buddy to stand by flag. Interrupted slot head driver, place match in end to extend length to light something and protect fingers, emergency fork for finger foods, great to push strings or wire through tight spaces and even a “can key” if you remember how one of those works. I look at it as a handy tool in tight spaces when I don’t want to bugger up another tool.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 06:24:29 PM by pa_strunk »

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #8 on: September 05, 2022, 05:11:36 PM
Day 5 - Wood Saw - has bidirectional teeth so it cuts on push and pull stroke, great for wood, PVC (plastic), sheetrock, rope, or fibrous materials that will dull knife blades. Can use the spine of saw to strike a fero-rod to make sparks for a fire. Also use saw to expand a 5 mm hole created by awl in wood to a 10 mm hole. Just a great multipurpose blade for a variety of tough materials.

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #9 on: September 06, 2022, 02:51:52 PM
Day 6 - Scissors - whether your self grooming or making precision cuts. Nothing beats Victorinox scissors in my humble opinion.

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #10 on: September 07, 2022, 02:40:52 PM
Day 7 - Pliers - Needle nose pliers that work as heavy duty tweezers. Great for getting into confined areas. Try them the next time you have to check or replace a fuse in an automobile. Regular pliers that can either get into tight spaces or expand up to 2 cm. Wire cutters that often people make fun of, but work in a pinch.  After all,  who says you have to cut a wire with one snip. Last an electrical crimper.

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #11 on: September 08, 2022, 02:41:09 PM
Day 8 - CyberTool - Female Hex Drive 4 mm for bits, Female Hex Drive 5 mm for D-Sub connectors for you computer guys. Standard double ended bits - Slotted 4 mm/Phillips #2, Phillips #0/#1, Hex 4 mm/Torx #8 & Torx #10/#15. In my humble opinion the best single tool on my mod. I put a 1x4 mm magnetic in my bit holder, which still works with standard double sided bits that comes with a cybertool and makes it a universal 4mm driver.  Works great as a precision driver or for my 8 year-old boy’s zillion and one toys.

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #12 on: September 09, 2022, 02:58:46 PM
Day 9 - LED Light -  Not the brightest by any means,  but slightly improved with 91 mm models made after 2019, powered by 2 CR 1225 3V button batteries. Can toggle button on or press button back for continuous use. Works really well in conjunction with cybertool hex driver to illuminate dark and tough places to reach. Only the cybertool Hex bit driver, can opener and primary blade open on the side of the LED light. Imagine if Victorinox had oriented so you could use all the tools on the opposite side and the cybertool Hex bit driver. Anyway, I still like it a lot on this mod.

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #13 on: September 10, 2022, 03:57:00 PM
Day 10 - Magnifying Glass - This is the 6 power newer version. I chose this over the older 8 power version since you have a great viewing field. Getting older. Need it to see the small print sometimes. Could use to start a fire in desperate circumstances I guess, but more handy for finding wood splinters in my humble opinion.

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #14 on: September 11, 2022, 06:35:10 PM
Day 11 - Can Opener - Has 3 mm Flathead Driver,  in-line #2 2D Phillips Driver, open square valves,  great for scraping, removing SAK scales, light duty prying when you need a sharp edge to access, handy to remove wire handled or open cans off of a camp fire, or even pulling or pushing closed hot oven grates at home.

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #15 on: September 11, 2022, 06:35:56 PM
Day 11 - Can Opener - Has 3 mm Flathead Driver,  in-line #2 2D Phillips Driver, open square valves,  great for scraping, removing SAK scales, light duty prying when you need a sharp edge to access, handy to remove wire handled or open cans off of a camp fire, or even pulling or pushing closed hot oven grates at home.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: September 11, 2022, 08:51:44 PM
Looking great with all the pics, pa :salute: :like: :like:

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #17 on: September 13, 2022, 03:08:48 AM
Thanks Poncho, Day 12 - Bottle Opener - 6 mm Flathead Screwdriver, Cap Lifter, Wire Stripper/Bender/Fire Fly Striker, Mini Pry Bar (Use in 90 degree position and turn counter clockwise if concerned about damaging tool), Can use a 6.5 mm 1/4” socket to make an improvised 1/4” bit driver, Works as a wedge to hold a door open, Score cardboard for bending or folding, Pull out nails or staples. Probably the most versatile tool on most SAKs.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 04:50:23 AM by pa_strunk »

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #18 on: September 13, 2022, 02:44:06 PM
Day 13 - Corkscrew - open wine bottles, scraper, loosen knots or laces on gear, drill into wood to make a tubular cavity, remove drywall inserts, remove broken light bulbs out of sockets, corn on the cob holder,  and store Victorinox mini tools &/or Fireant Starter and Tender System.

ca Offline Jazz

Reply #19 on: September 14, 2022, 02:44:28 AM
Fun, interesting, and useful thread.

:climber:

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #20 on: September 14, 2022, 02:48:10 PM
Thanks Jazz, hope a few members like this thread as well. Day 14 Chisel - I like chisels for scraping and wood work. I am glad it is on the tool. Think it would be much more effective if it was an inline tool vs a T-handle back tool. Also wish it was about twice as wide, however it does come in handy on occasion. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 02:56:59 PM by pa_strunk »

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #21 on: September 14, 2022, 09:49:56 PM
I don't believe I've checked in yet, but I have been following. Good stuff! Next time I remove a set of scales I don't intend to reuse, I'll try the can opener's tip. And I do like the chisel as well!
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #22 on: September 15, 2022, 02:37:41 PM
Thanks Farmer X, Day 15 - 2.5 mm Flathead Screwdriver - T-handle small driver, good for electronics, recessed screws, even works in place of phillips driver for some screws, also handy to untie knots in paracord.

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #23 on: September 16, 2022, 02:50:23 PM
Day 16 - Multipurpose Hook - Anybody raised on a farm knows what a “slop bucket” is like to carry when watering or feeding animals. Plastic handgrips on these never last and make the SAK hook the best tool ever for this chore. Weight limit is 90 Kg or 200 lbs. Open drawers missing handles, screw in hanging hooks for stockings, pull open hot oven grate, tighten laces or paracord, install springs, twist wire to tighten around an object, remove staples, pull tabs on bottles or cans, work with a bicycle chain, tighten spokes on bicycle wheels, or if nothing else use in conjunction with Victorinox ink pen on a SAK. Million and one uses.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #24 on: September 16, 2022, 07:23:50 PM
Multipurpose Hook...million and one uses.
:iagree: The multi-purpose hook is a very useful and underappreciated tool.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #25 on: September 17, 2022, 03:33:01 PM
Day 17 - Awl, Reamer, Sewing Eye - Punch holes in materials such as leather, canvas, plastic, wood or soft metals. Drill holes into materials to create up to 5 mm holes. Sewing of cloth or leather. Create shavings or strike fire steel. Ice Pick (watch your fingers). Self defense (hopefully not necessary).

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #26 on: September 18, 2022, 03:28:17 PM
Day 18 - Victorinox Digital Clock - uses 1 CR 1225 3V Button Battery, Press and hold Victorinox emblem (button) 2 seconds to illuminate digits, 4 seconds to change time, 8 seconds to switch between 24h or 12h time.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #27 on: September 18, 2022, 11:16:52 PM
Good explanation on how one works the clock. My one SAK with electronics lacks the clock feature.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #28 on: September 19, 2022, 02:31:34 PM
Thanks Farmer X, Day 19, Victorinox Altimeter - toggle Victorinox emblem (button) 1 time past time screen and the altitude screen is displayed. Press and hold button 4 seconds to change altitude. Also can choose either standard, cold or hot  weather environments.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 02:37:29 PM by pa_strunk »

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #29 on: September 20, 2022, 04:01:01 PM
Day 20 - Victorinox Barometer - toggle Victorinox emblem (button) 2 times past time screen and barometer screen is displayed. Bar level on far right of screen represents now, each to the left represents 1 hour earlier, each single bar on screen represents 3hPa. Press and hold button 4 seconds to reset. Barometer bars increasing means weather is clearing or improving. Barometer bars decreasing indicates worse weather or precipitation.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 04:16:30 PM by pa_strunk »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%