Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My new fixed blade knife review: Grand Way (model: 148109)

us Offline Old Happy Tiger

Somewhere in South Eastern, U.S.A., a man gets done from some minor inside house repairs to find a package on his front stairs and says: “Now that’s a knife…

This is a review on the Grand Way Fixed blade knife (model: 148109) that I got off of Amazon for $12.99. It is a fixed blade knife and I was looking to see how low I could go and get something other than a MoraKniv, so here we go…

This knife is AWESOME, after the fact I found that this is more or less a clone of the Buck Vanguard. The steel on this knife is supposedly 440C stainless steel. I’m not sure if that is the case, but I can tell you it came with a GREAT edge! Really surprising that a knife this inexpensive would have that sort of edge on the blade.. Really nice to see.

8.8 inches total the blade length is about 4.4 inches and the handle length about the same 4.4 inches.
Where I live, there is no real knife length laws, and yes I feel lucky every day that I can carry this open OR concealed carry if I want. Only prohibited in building where signed as such. Not sure about the weight but the pommel has a nice weighted feel to the handle.

20220913_132605 - Copy.jpg
* 20220913_132605 - Copy.jpg (Filesize: 313.18 KB)

This also has a rat tail tang, meaning the handle has a thinner strip or rod of metal from the hilt of the knife to end of the knife pommel of the handle. A full tang would be the thickest part of the knife continuing down to the end or pommel of the handle. The rat tail is more of a traditional knife build in large fix blade hunting and combat knives. So while it MAY be able to do some light batoning and processing of wood, I would recommend using this knife more for cutting tasks. I also feel this knife could handle being a combat knife if needed for self-defense purposes.

The handle has a really nice non-slip rubber grip and I test it even when wet and you can really maintain a solid grip/purchase of the knife. There was just a little bit of packing grease on the blade that I washed of with dawn dish soap and some warm water. Then I took a few drops of REM Oil (which is a gun oil) and paper towel and I was able to really protect and shine the blade to almost a mirror finish.

The sheath is nylon and it works well, but there is one slight negative that I’ll add to the CONS list below.

The PROs:
- You get a lot of knife for a low price, and very hard to match or beat other then a MoraKniv.

- Wicked sharp! You think the knife was way more money than it is.

- Nice grip and weight to the knife, it’s got some heft and a good feel in the hand with no hot spots.

The CONs:
- Inside the sheath there is a plastic insert so the blade does not cut the nylon sheath.. That is ok, however I need to take care when I put the knife back in as it is easy NOT to get the blade in-between those pieces of plastic.

- Rat tail tang, is not a deal breaker but I recommend staying a way from heavy batoning/processing wood.

- Packing grease on the blade, a bit too much.. Takes a bit to clean and polish the steel.

Conclusion: For the low price this one great knife to have. - OHT
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 08:26:28 PM by Old Happy Tiger »
"One day as a tiger is worth a thousand as a sheep."

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: My new fixed blade knife review: Grand Way (model: 148109)
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 09:08:45 PM
It really does look like a Buck Vanguard.  It would be an interesting knife to carry for a month and put through its paces, if you wanted to do the October EDC fixed blade challenge.  https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,89794.0.html
 :pok:

Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 09:53:23 PM
It really does look like a Buck Vanguard.  It would be an interesting knife to carry for a month and put through its paces, if you wanted to do the October EDC fixed blade challenge.  https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,89794.0.html
 :pok:

Hello.. Thanks I'm kind of new here. I carry a lot gear with me when I travel from site to site assisting clients in certain security fields. Depending on what states I'm going to some times i include a fixed blade knife as I've actually gotten stuck half way between points in blizzards, hurricanes, floods I've seen a lot in the past years... Carrying a lot of gear is useful, and I rather have it than not have it with me. I may have some down time coming up soon in a few weeks.. So we'll see.  :)  - OHT

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 10:28:11 PM
Not a bad looking knife, OHT.
Not a bad price, either.

Tried to find out more about Grand Way... One answered question said that the company was based in Ukraine, IDK , but their knives are produced in China.  Not a big issue with me, one way or another.
Looking at the GW store on Amazon it looks like they sell a lot of different knives, both fixed and folders;  multitools, paracord and even beads.

I may need to check some of them out, later, I just placed a sizeable order with SMKW.

Keep the reviews coming.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 10:55:14 PM
Not a bad looking knife, OHT.
Not a bad price, either.

Tried to find out more about Grand Way... One answered question said that the company was based in Ukraine, IDK , but their knives are produced in China.  Not a big issue with me, one way or another.
Looking at the GW store on Amazon it looks like they sell a lot of different knives, both fixed and folders;  multitools, paracord and even beads.

I may need to check some of them out, later, I just placed a sizeable order with SMKW.

Keep the reviews coming.

Thanks PC. based from my searching in open source, they are most likely China. At some point, I may try one of there folding knives... we'll see. -OHT

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #5 on: September 14, 2022, 10:03:50 PM
 It looks pretty good, and it's offered at a decent price. Hopefully it will hold up well with long-term use.

I will add that you're fortunate with your knife laws. Here in Michigan, concealed carry of a fixed blade (except "a hunting knife adapted and carried as such") is a big no-no. Since what constitutes concealed carry is incredibly vague, I don't carry a fixie unless I'm on my property or out in the bush.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

Reply #6 on: September 16, 2022, 12:10:57 AM
It looks pretty good, and it's offered at a decent price. Hopefully it will hold up well with long-term use.

I will add that you're fortunate with your knife laws. Here in Michigan, concealed carry of a fixed blade (except "a hunting knife adapted and carried as such") is a big no-no. Since what constitutes concealed carry is incredibly vague, I don't carry a fixie unless I'm on my property or out in the bush.

Oh I know it all too well.. I've lived up and down the east coast and for work related travel I also know that the knife laws are like gun laws. When I travel to other states, I also research the state law because I carry a lot gear when going to certain stakeholder sites. For a quick vacation a few months back, I went up into New England area, and Massachusetts is one of the worst for knives (and firearms for that matter)... only 2.5 inch non-locking blade like a slip joint knife or better.. like a swiss army SD-Classic is ok. Or a 1.5 or less if it is a locking blade. I carried a Kershaw Cinder that has a manual 1.5 inch blade for a few states I was cutting through before Massachusetts.... Like Maryland and Delaware viewed small manual pocket knives / pen knives ok if concealed like slip joint knives... I think Delaware has a length restriction of 3 inches or less for the blade length. Can't be too careful out and about.

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2022, 12:45:37 AM
Can't be too careful out and about.
That's very true. Reducing my present blade length limit by even half an inch would render many of my favorite carriers illegal.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%