Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My new "$5.59 USD Special of the Day" - Tac-Force model TF-800

us Offline Old Happy Tiger

*Somewhere, a man in South Eastern, U.S.A. literally flies… through the air... and picks up the 2nd new knife of the day left out on the front steps of his house and says out loud: “The very BEST bargain knives are the ones, that not a lot of people know about..”

Yep, 2nd knife in one day is always great. This is my review on the Tac-Force model TF-800 spring assisted pocket knife. I bought this off of Amazon on sale for $5.59 USD. A happy value meal price of a knife!  :hatsoff:

Specs:
3.5-inch drop point fine edge blade
4.5-inch handle
8-inch overall length.

The knife is partially serrated and I like that, as I can saw through rope and other material leaving the fine straight edge sharp. The  partially serrated is also a negative which I have below in the CONs list.

The steel is 3cr13 is close to 420J2 stainless steel, so it is more corrosive resistant as it has more chromium than carbon. Yes, it will dull faster however it is easy to re-hone the blade if I am out in the field or on a client/stakeholders site.

The handle slab material is not plastic, but nylon and it does have a nice grip and small checker pattern. The other thing that is nice is there is a lot of jimping on the top of the handle as well on the beginning top of the blade as shown in the pictures below:

1.jpg
* 1.jpg (Filesize: 366.89 KB)

2.jpg
* 2.jpg (Filesize: 276.02 KB)

There was no packing grease on the blade, but as always I washed it in dawn dish soap, dried it off, used some compressed air to make sure all the water was out. Then I used REM oil (which is a gun oil) on the pivot point and blade. The pivot point uses two white teflon washers, not metal but again no issues with blade deployment, which is spring assisted. The pivot point uses a T-8 Star / Torx bit, the pocket clip (tip down carry only) uses T-7 Star / Torx bit and the nylon handle slabs uses T-6 size Star / Torx bit. There is no hole for a lanyard however, you may be able to use the back slab support post and loop one around that. Also before I forget, in SOME areas spring assisted knives are not legal. Where I live, everything is legal no matter of method of blade deployment or blade lengths.

A lot of times, these folding pocket knives get a huge negative bashing because the are made in China and because of the very low price price. Tac-Force, is a brand of Master Cutlery and also make knives under the brand names of Mtech, Elk Ridge, Survior and MasterUSA. SOME, repeat SOME (not all) are worth buying just like the fixed blades they have (under the Mtech brand name) and there is again some of their folding knives that are worth buying for the low price points that they are at. To note, the TAC-Force brand is more spring assisted blades than manual folders. Many of the folding knives are more novelty.. like they have skulls, or dragons and that sort of thing… And I usually stay away from those as they seem like they have plastic handle slabs. Others, like the one I’m showing here for a every day carry is good and if you lose it, your not out of your xyz $100.00+ high end knife. I owned for years Tac-Force and Mtech folding knives and the models I have are still holding up. Anytime I’m going out and about and I’m not working per se.. I always have a knife on me, and for an every day carry knife, this is a decent one especially for the very low price point that it is.

The PROs:
- Price is awesome! And the knife that I have works as intended.

- Nylon handle feel nice and has a good grip.

- Clean edge on blade, had to re-hone a little bit but razor sharp now.

The CONs:
- I really like serrated edge, but the issue is that they painted over the serrations and that also dull them. I have very small rounded diamond files that I will use and correct that issue quickly.

- Pocket clip is strong but is a bit thin.. Need to watch that.

- Pivot point seems ok for right NOW.. however I have seen one or two over the years need thread locker, for example Loc-Tite (the blue stuff). If see it loosening up I’ll use that thread locker.

Conclusion: Again, if you see one and it at a very low price AND it has nylon or metal handle slabs GET IT... you may have found a nice new EDC. -OHT
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 10:29:07 PM by Old Happy Tiger »
"One day as a tiger is worth a thousand as a sheep."

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Re: My new "$5.59 USD Special of the Day" - Tac-Force model TF-800
Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 08:03:19 AM
Another excellent detailed review! :tu: One thing has me curious, though: if there's a lock, it's not readily apparent in the photos. Does it have a lock?
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

Reply #2 on: September 15, 2022, 11:59:53 AM
Another excellent detailed review! :tu: One thing has me curious, though: if there's a lock, it's not readily apparent in the photos. Does it have a lock?

Thanks, and sorry I forgot about adding that part to the review. Yes, it has a liner lock that is inside the handle not a frame, axis or a lockback.
The knife that I have, locks solid into place. The flat part of the back of the blade is milled ok.. Sometimes with liner locks and frame locks that part of the back of the blade is not milled enough.

Examples from open source findings:

linerlock knife mechanism:

https://www.google.com/search?q=linerlock+knife+mechanism&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjbwsmqwpb6AhXSs3IEHdrcBIQQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=linerlock+knife+mechanism&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzoECAAQQzoFCAAQgAQ6BggAEB4QBzoICAAQHhAHEAU6CAgAEB4QCBAHUJy9BliZ1AZg2dUGaANwAHgAgAFCiAHqBZIBAjEymAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWfAAQE&sclient=img&ei=5fQiY5u8HNLnytMP2rmToAg&bih=676&biw=1536&client=firefox-b-1-d50822121I

lockback knife mechanism:

https://www.google.com/search?q=lockback+knife+mechanism&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwia6Yqhwpb6AhVNn3IEHT9iA0oQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=lockback+knife+mechanism&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzIFCAAQgAQ6BggAEB4QBzoICAAQHhAHEAU6CAgAEB4QCBAHOgYIABAeEAVQ9A1Y-hlg6yloAHAAeACAAdoCiAGoB5IBBTkuMy0xmAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWfAAQE&sclient=img&ei=0fQiY9q8Is2-ytMPv8SN0AQ&bih=676&biw=1536&client=firefox-b-1-d

axislock knife mechanism
https://www.google.com/search?q=axislock+knife+mechanism&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwijuMTqwpb6AhXVsXIEHcJMCIMQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=axislock+knife+mechanism&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQDDoGCAAQHhAHOggIABAeEAcQBToICAAQHhAIEAdQ6N8ZWJaVGmC5rRpoAXAAeACAAZABiAGuBZIBAzkuMZgBAKABAaoBC2d3cy13aXotaW1nwAEB&sclient=img&ei=a_UiY-PWJNXjytMPwpmhmAg&bih=676&biw=1536&client=firefox-b-1-d

framelock knife mechanism
https://www.google.com/search?q=framelock+knife+mechanism&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwij-aDAxJb6AhXHGFkFHfotBeUQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=framelock+knife+mechanism&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzoGCAAQHhAHOggIABAeEAcQBVCymgJYt7ECYKC0AmgBcAB4AIABRYgBuQWSAQIxMZgBAKABAaoBC2d3cy13aXotaW1nwAEB&sclient=img&ei=K_ciY-O3Mcex5NoP-tuUqA4&bih=676&biw=1536&client=firefox-b-1-d

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2022, 12:25:23 AM
Thanks for those links; I learned something new. I'll be interested to see how the TF-800 holds up over time.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

Reply #4 on: September 18, 2022, 06:26:26 PM
Thanks for those links; I learned something new. I'll be interested to see how the TF-800 holds up over time.

No problem. The single point of failure would be the spring assist mechanism at the pivot point and stress over time.

One test that I sometimes do (and I have done it with this knife) is flicking the blade out 500 times just to see if there is any movement with the centering of the blade when back in a folding position. Any un-centering of the blade in a closed position after doing that many flicks there would also be a loosening of the blade which would indicate the pivot point screw "walking-out". I HAVE seen that happen with knives like this one, which blue Loc-Tite which is a tread locker, fixes that.

But after 500 times flicking this knife out and folding the blade back into the hand no issues so for.. But I 100% agree with you, that time tells all. I have other TAC-Force and some manual folding M-Tech knives that still have no issue at all over like the past 7 years or more.... I think I might post on a M-Tech knife that I have. -OHT
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 07:14:04 PM by Old Happy Tiger »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69