Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hit the jackpot today!!!

us Offline bren10man

Hit the jackpot today!!!
on: January 31, 2009, 11:19:55 AM
Folks:

Went on a stroll today into the Namdameun Market area of Seoul.  Intent was to go to the store where I bought the Swiss Flame, 100-year Spartan, 100-year Victorinox Champion and Classic set, and the Deluxe Fisherman I have bought in the past two months.  I didn't make it there.

I turned a corner in the market.  My eyeballs popped out.  I found the Victorinox Korea store!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I wished I had my camera.  It looked kinda run down...no Swiss Army brands logos like in the USA, but the international type of markings.

Inside I spotted the following RARE things:

- 100 year Victorinox 1897-1997 Swiss Champ (bought one, NIB collectors tin)  He has 2 more that I know of left!!!  ALL NIB!!

- 100 year Victorinox 1897-1997 Spartan (like what I bought a month or so ago).  NIB

- RIVET HOLE Soldier!!!!!!

- RED Alox scales Pioneer series with white cross!!!

- Swiss Champs of ALL types!!!! (1980's first run vintage, 1990's vintage, no hook, with hook, stag, mother of pearl, hardwood, etc...red, black, blue, white, ruby transparent, blue transparent, SOS kit, Deluxe SOS kit, XAVT, XXL, etc)

- Cyber Tools of all kinds!!!

- OLD and NEW GAK!!! (new GAK with the older oval on the blade, he had a newer one with round hole on display, but none in stock, or he doesn't know he had so many!!!)

- MAUSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Have I got your attention yet?!?!?!?!)

- Solos (old AND new, to include Safari series)

- OD Green handle lock blade Hunter!!!

- Grand Prix with Hook and Key Ring!!!!

- Swiss Tools and Spirits, all types!!!!

And

- SWISS FLAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  BUT, not for sale, display model only!!!! I asked!!!

-And MUCHO MORE!!!

Good lord!!!  I hit the comstock lode!!!!!

I also went to the place that had the new GAK with the newer round OH opening blade.  I bought that!!!!

So, I spent $33 for the GAK with new OH opening blade at one store.
The "Comstock Lode" Victorinox store I bought the 1897-1997 Swiss Champ commemorative to go with the Spartan 1897-1997 I have.  Paid $65 for it and a spare corkscrew screw driver for the Deluxe Fisherman I have.

I will post  pics later!!!   :climber:

-
MOLON LABE!

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Hit the jackpot today!!!
Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 11:48:21 AM
Wow  :o

Did they have the SwissChamp XXLT, silly big fat wide one with the lighter in the middle?

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 12:05:13 PM

Did they have the SwissChamp XXLT, silly big fat wide one with the lighter in the middle?

Neil

After reading about half the post I just knew Neil was going to ask that.  :D

Great finds, we just don't have anything like that around here.   :cry: .  I know for a fact that a shop like that would cost me a fortune, the temptation would be just to much.  >:D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 01:23:30 PM
Damn fine line up that.  :)
I'm back!!

us Offline bren10man

Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 01:45:14 PM

Neil

No, I looked ESPECIALLY for that one!!!  If I had of found one, I would be the proud owner!!!  I was also looking to see if he had a Space Shuttle Master Craftsman, I did not see one.  I will ask next time I go back.  I wouldn't be suprised if he did, or just a Master Craftsman w/o the Space Shuttle log.

Let me see, what else they had:

- Complete Silver Tech series

- Rescue Tool

- Kitchen Cutlery

- pouches, fobs, chains, a bag full of corkscrew screwdrivers, etc.  I asked if they sold the SOS and Deluxe SOS kits, minus Swiss Champ, he said no.

- Champion: pre 1986 and post 1986 designs.  One I saw was black.  It seems Korea has alot of used Champions, pre-1986, floating around

- Current Pioneer series

- Time Keeper (like the compact with the analog watch on it) and Super Timer (Swiss Champ with analog watch)

- Name the SAK with the flashlite, they have it: Spartan Lite, Huntsman Lite, Expedition Set, etc.

- This was cool: Workchamp XL.  LORD, that thing is huge!!

- They call the OHT the OH Trailmaster over here, still.  I guess it is a USA thing due to the Cold Steel Trailmaster Bowie knife

- The display cases, not the official Victorinox display cases he had, had all the GOOD, rare stuff in it.  It seemed to be piled upon top of each other (that is the way they do things here in Korea it seems).  Lord only knows what else he has.  Looking hard, that is when I spied the Mauser NIB with the box opened up.

- SAK watches of all kinds, both in those official display cases and the piled-up ones

- Classics of ALL kinds from ALL over with ALL kinds of logos, colors, Alox scales, etc.  I saw SEVERAL 1884-1984 Classics there.

- Classic Whistle

- Older ones in card-bubble packaging from at least the 1970's and earlier.  They had what appered to be Campers with the different shield and cross logo and no tooth pick/tweezers in the handles.

- The display posters, flags, logos, etc. are non SAK Brands like they use in Switzerland.  Heck, the Victorinox shopping bag I got is marked Printed in Switzerland.  All the brochures were printed in Switzerland, too.  They had a large cylinder sales pitch thing that had the 1970's or early 1980's SAK line up printed on it.  Imagine a say 1985 or earlier catalog printed on a cylinder, with pics of the knives and a description of tools and features.  It was printed in that wierd green color (like a dollar bill collar) that Victorinox used at that time.  I want to get one of those flags he had posted in the window and hanging from the overhang outside, attached via suction cups.  Heck, the place was so crowed and small, he had display cases out on the street with Victorninox kitchen knives and stuff.

- Compases of all kinds made by Victorinox, the Recta ones.  Some were red, others black I think.

- They had one Pioneer that had what appered to be a "needle" blade.  Similar to the current Marlin spike, but no shakle opener.  The end of the "blade" had the needle eye in it.  I think it also had a saw, can and bottle openers, etc.  Scales are red with white cross on it.

If you can think of it, ask.  I will try to remember more.  Just jog my brain.  Believe me, I am going back to that place, and buy more, at prices that beat SMKW in Tennessee.  If you are a collector, THIS was the place to find it!!!!  Like a good Mexican restaurant, it looks like a dump, but the selections on the "menu" are delicious!!!

-   
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 01:51:00 PM by bren10man »
MOLON LABE!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 01:59:12 PM
That's it, I'm moving to Korea :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 02:10:11 PM
See ya!  :D
I'm back!!

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 02:29:44 PM
I'm sure I've had dreams about that place  :gimme:

Neil

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 02:37:56 PM
Thats a great find , I know what you mean about the stuff being printed in Switzerland . I look apon SAK U.S branding as not quite the real McCoy . Why do the Americans have to be different , even the boxes are different  ::)
   On the otherhand Leatherman obviously has to come from the U.S and I would prefer U'S packaging etc. for them . Its not I'm against Americans in anyway as you guys know  :D

Dunc

us Offline bren10man

Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 02:41:13 PM
FYI: round trip ticket from Atlanta to Seoul and back to Atlanta (Delta flights 91 and 92) is currently around $1000.....cheap.  Last summer, it was $1500 per person for me, my wife, and my daughter to go home for 3-5 weeks. 

Come on over and shop until you drop!!!!!

FYI: that GAK I bought will be the companion knife to go with my Heckler and Koch HK-91 (semi-auto G3 assault rifle) I bought last summer when I was home in the States; and the HK USP Tactical .45 ACP pistol that I bought 2 weeks ago (it is still at the gunshope, held for me until I get home for good).  I decided when I was home last summer, to buy as much as I could on my firearms "wish list" in case one Barry Hussein Obamination gets elected, which sadly he did.  He wants to ban everything, so do the Democraps in the house and senate, with WORSE restrictions that expired 4 years ago.  My gun collection back home in storage has already gone up several thousand dollars in value since 5 NOV 2008.

Me thinks I need to go back and get the older GAK from the 1980's and that Mauser, too.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 02:49:52 PM by bren10man »
MOLON LABE!

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 04:15:30 PM
Bren did you happen to spot a Vic Sportsratchet , I would love to grab one of those odd balls  :D :D.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline bren10man

Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 04:21:26 PM
No.  I did not see that, nor the infamous AutoTool.
MOLON LABE!

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 04:24:56 PM
No.  I did not see that, nor the infamous AutoTool.

My AutoTool is currently in transit  ::) :D :D :D

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 04:41:44 PM
- Older ones in card-bubble packaging from at least the 1970's and earlier.  They had what appered to be Campers with the different shield and cross logo and no tooth pick/tweezers in the handles.

- They had one Pioneer that had what appered to be a "needle" blade.  Similar to the current Marlin spike, but no shakle opener.  The end of the "blade" had the needle eye in it.  I think it also had a saw, can and bottle openers, etc.  Scales are red with white cross on it.-   
The different shield might be some "Elinox" marked SAK's. You should check those out as they are harder to find here. Also that Pioneer has what's called a "Sacking Needle" used in the agriculture field. They are harder to find and you should definitely pick one up. :tu:

us Offline bren10man

Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 04:49:09 PM

- They had one Pioneer that had what appered to be a "needle" blade.  Similar to the current Marlin spike, but no shakle opener.  The end of the "blade" had the needle eye in it.  I think it also had a saw, can and bottle openers, etc.  Scales are red with white cross on it.-   
The different shield might be some "Elinox" marked SAK's. You should check those out as they are harder to find here. Also that Pioneer has what's called a "Sacking Needle" used in the agriculture field. They are harder to find and you should definitely pick one up. :tu:

Thanks for the heads up.  I will check it out. 

To add: this dude has boxes stacked all over the place and in the back.  I bet he has more than 2 of those 1897-1997 Swiss Champs (he had 3 that I know of, one of which now belongs to me!!) and more of those Spartans, too.  I now have the complet set (see thread about commemoratives).  Too bad the SN's are not matching!!!  It appears his store is part of some import-export company in Seoul.  They had those SAK's representing the import-export company floating around there.  I do not think they are for sale.  They say "Complements of (Korean name), LTD" on the tweezers side.
MOLON LABE!

Offline Ninjaz

Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 05:31:25 PM
That's it, I'm moving to Korea :tu:
I am with you :)

- RED Alox scales Pioneer series with white cross!!!
I want one of those - red alox scales with white cross (old style).

Neil: There is one XXLT on ebay but they want 600$  ::) (ebay item 170297558881). Last month there was one that sold on buy it now for about 250 Euro but until I decided to buy it someone else bought it :(
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 05:33:05 PM by ninjaz »
[

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 05:45:34 PM
Neil: There is one XXLT on ebay but they want 600$  ::) (ebay item 170297558881). Last month there was one that sold on buy it now for about 250 Euro but until I decided to buy it someone else bought it :(

$600 is a bit steep for me :)  But thanks for the link, I got to look at some nice XXLT pictures which is about as close as I'm ever going to get to one :D

Neil

Offline Ninjaz

Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 05:48:52 PM

$600 is a bit steep for me :)  But thanks for the link, I got to look at some nice XXLT pictures which is about as close as I'm ever going to get to one :D

Neil
yeah 600$ is pretty high. I think up to 350$ is reasonable price. I tracked XXLT bids for quite some times now on ebay and every few months you can find one sold in the range of the 300$. Just need to wait.
[

us Offline bren10man

Here are the pics of 31 JAN 09 purchase
Reply #18 on: January 31, 2009, 05:51:21 PM
Here is what I got today:

I noticed this after he opened the 100-year Swiss Champ: the commemorative Swiss Champs do not have a straight pin, nor do they have a ball-point pen.  Other words, no "plus" scales.  The cross, as you can see, is on the reverse side like the 100-year Spartan knife.  My guess is Victorinox made the limited run of scales to fit all the models, to include the Swiss Champ.  BTW, this Swiss Champ is CHERRY.  He had to break the seal of the silver box to show it to me (seal was regular scotch tape).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 05:54:49 PM by bren10man »
MOLON LABE!

Offline Ninjaz

Re: Here are the pics of 31 JAN 09 purchase
Reply #19 on: January 31, 2009, 06:08:38 PM
I noticed this after he opened the 100-year Swiss Champ: the commemorative Swiss Champs do not have a straight pin, nor do they have a ball-point pen.  Other words, no "plus" scales.  The cross, as you can see, is on the reverse side like the 100-year Spartan knife.  My guess is Victorinox made the limited run of scales to fit all the models, to include the Swiss Champ.  BTW, this Swiss Champ is CHERRY.  He had to break the seal of the silver box to show it to me (seal was regular scotch tape).

True. It doesn't have ball pen or pin but that becuase they use a scale with the shield - the shield usually on the other side but because the 100th logo it had to be moved to the other side so they use different scale.
It took me years to get the SwissChamp version of the 100th anniversary and I pay much more then you for it... I guess I need to move to Korea (or at least do a trip there) because all the models I want you can find there lol
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 06:10:32 PM by ninjaz »
[

Offline tanker

Reply #20 on: January 31, 2009, 06:31:02 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Ok that´s it! let´s see how much is it a ticket Caracas - Seoul...
T

us Offline bren10man

Reply #21 on: January 31, 2009, 06:55:33 PM

This is the one they had with the "needle": the Midshipman:

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Midshipman+Victorinox
MOLON LABE!

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #22 on: January 31, 2009, 07:04:58 PM
I can't help seeing an influx of cash in bren10man's paypal account, followed by an outburst of SAKs shipped all over the globe... :D

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: January 31, 2009, 07:05:23 PM
I need to get one of those.   :drool:

Neil

Offline Ninjaz

Reply #24 on: January 31, 2009, 07:16:15 PM

:drool:  :drool:  :drool: Buy Buy Buy Buy :) if you don't like it sell it to me  :D
[

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #25 on: January 31, 2009, 07:28:44 PM
Bren did you happen to spot a Vic Sportsratchet , I would love to grab one of those odd balls  :D :D.

I used to have one , they are a very interesting tool .

Dunc

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: January 31, 2009, 09:41:16 PM

Dunc

:think: That's a polite way of putting it.  They're certainly different.

Neil

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #27 on: February 01, 2009, 03:05:34 AM

What I didn't mention in the sakwiki article is that the Midshipman is the rarest of all the 93mm alox SAKs.
I got mine from the Cat Man a few years ago when he still had lots of red alox.   He only had one, even then.
I have seen a total of 2 on ebay since then,  not in new condition, and they didn't go cheap.

You probably want to grab that one while you can.

R

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #28 on: February 01, 2009, 04:26:00 AM

Dunc

Dunc do you regret trading it away . When I did a search of Sportsratchets on the forum , I think you let yours go for a fairly cheap trade  :think:.

us Offline bren10man

Reply #29 on: February 01, 2009, 01:02:24 PM
The place was closed today/Sunday.

I am going back on Monday.

Send me your wants/needs and I will be able to check e-mail Monday morning (Sunday nite in the EST of the USA) and go take a stroll and get down to bidness with this dude.

The business card I posted has his e-mail address on it. 

GPS coordinates are as follows:

MGRS = 52S CG 21411 58872

N 37 degrees, 33', 34.5"
E 126 degrees, 58', 40.9"

Gotta run!!!!!  WI FI place is closing.

PS: I get first pick!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 01:26:46 PM by bren10man »
MOLON LABE!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!