Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I Almost bought a Free P4!

Offline mikekoz

I Almost bought a Free P4!
on: September 16, 2022, 10:20:45 AM
   Yesterday I was throwing a few things on the Amazon shopping cart for an order, and I decided to get a Free P4. I have been wanting one since they came out but felt that $149.99 was too much money. Well, I have come to the conclusion that the price is not going to go down, and out of impulse, put it in the shopping cart to get ready to check out. It would have been delivered last night! Right before I added it, poof, it was gone!  :ahhh  I guess they ran out stock right then and there. The moment was gone and I just ordered what I already had gathered up! This was a major impulse buy, so now, what do I do? Should I wait until they get them back in and order it again? Any Free P4 owners out there than can help convince me one way or the other??  >:D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: I Almost bought a Free P4!
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2022, 02:22:33 PM
It is one I still don't have myself :ahhh

I have two P2s though :facepalm: :rofl:

Got both for a good price at different time and I do like them and just haven't found a P4 for a better price yet, so I may have to take the plunge before long as well :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 05:08:13 PM
When that happens something kicks in hard.  Now we've got to have one. 

Good luck.  I don't have any Free series tools. 
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2022, 05:11:46 PM
I got my P4 as a company gift in December 2019. My immediate impression was the new magnets, and I thought it was never going to last. Almost 3 years later, nobody in our company has had any problems with it. Cudos to Leatherman for trying something different. I also think it is the most esthetically pleasing tool they have made in a while, and the textured grips has a really great feel.

The P4 trumps all the tools in my collection in one aspect. Everything is accessible without opening the tool, and everything can be done with one hand (including opening the pliers). There are some nice notches on the end, just push down with one thumb and pick whatever tool you need. I will say one thing about the main blades though. Unlike the Wave and Surge, the Free thumb tabs (in lack of a better word) are slimmer and slightly further back. This means it is noticeable harder to open. This might be a matter of habit, but there are 3D printed thumb tabs around if needed.

The reason I don't carry this tool for work anymore is the lack of accessories. I have grown dependent of the ratchet driver and T-shank adapter on my Surge. But for what toolset you might need, the P4 could be the perfect choice for you. In my case I use it as an around the house tool, and I bring it out at least weekly. Brilliant for that purpose, and not too long ago I had to pull it out because it has the smallest flat head driver of all my tools. I also love the package opener (or chisel/scraper/pry bar).

Living across the Atlantic, Leathermans are usually more expensive. At launch the P4 cost $260, and now it's avaliable for around $160. Still, I would definitely want this tool for my collection.

I don't know if any of this made sense, it might even have confused you more. I'm just throwing my thoughts out there. ::)

« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 05:41:43 PM by nakken »
Bantam, BantamAlox, HikerWood, Huntsman, Soldier, RescueTool, SwissTool, Surge, Charge, Wave, Raptor, Rebar, Signal, Pulse, Skeletool, SkeletoolRX, ST300, PST, PS4, P4

Offline mikekoz

Reply #4 on: September 16, 2022, 06:38:29 PM
   I actually ended up ordering it from Walmart. They have been doing a great job of delivering our groceries the last few years, but half of the knives and multitools I order to get shipped to us I never see.  :dunno: The orders seem to go into the twilight zone and I end up cancelling them! We will see! I own a T2, T4, and a K2, so I am looking forward to this one! Thanks everybody!

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 16, 2022, 07:11:51 PM
Awesome, congrats! :woohoo:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 07:17:55 PM by nakken »
Bantam, BantamAlox, HikerWood, Huntsman, Soldier, RescueTool, SwissTool, Surge, Charge, Wave, Raptor, Rebar, Signal, Pulse, Skeletool, SkeletoolRX, ST300, PST, PS4, P4

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: September 16, 2022, 07:34:01 PM
 :popcorn:

Yay. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: September 16, 2022, 11:07:45 PM
Congratulations  :woohoo: :woohoo: :like:

Offline mikekoz

Reply #8 on: September 18, 2022, 12:28:19 AM
 Well, I went from having no Leatherman P4's to having two!  >:D  Last night, Amazon got them back in stock and I took advantage and ordered it. It came in early this morn! I knew if I ordered it there, I would get it.  It figures that this would be the one of the few times Walmart delivers on a tool order! It came via Fedex this afternoon!  ::).  Oh well, I have 90 days to return it to Walmart! My first impressions are that the Free P4 is top quality just like all other Leatherman tools I have, and I have many! The P4 seems more "high end" than most just from handling it. Maybe it is worth $150.00, maybe not, but I am glad I am finally an owner of one!  :climber:

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 18, 2022, 01:39:09 AM
It does have premium feel to it, indeed. I would definitely say it is worth $150. Glad it worked out for you! :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: September 18, 2022, 03:33:38 AM
Congrats on getting them both in the mail and in record time :o :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: September 18, 2022, 04:02:32 PM
 :like:

That is exactly how it works sometimes  ;)
Esse Quam Videri

Offline cnlson

Reply #12 on: September 19, 2022, 08:20:07 AM
I guess I'm the only person with criticism of the p4. I hanhave a P2 and have seen a p4 and to me they seem closely related to the bolster, Rev, sidekick, wingman tools. The individual tools seem crude in comparison to Leatherman's other tools in the $130-150 range. If the prices were closer to. $79 for the P2 and $89-99 for the p4 I'd accept it, but $150 and no premium steel blade? No modularity for bits, in fact, no bits at all? Nope not deserving of that much money.. On CL and eBay I've seen p4s around $100 and my P2 was 60 something. At that price it wasn't bad, but the tool just hasn't excited me to take it out of the box for any extended time. I'm just unimpressed compared to a charge or surge with premium tools and materials ( the combo saw and file, titanium, g10, aluminum scales, s30v or 154cm blades) , and are the same prices as the P2 and p4.

If you keep one of these look into zap wizard's mods and decide how much you want to correct Leathermans design.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 08:26:17 AM by cnlson »

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 19, 2022, 09:59:32 AM
I agree that they can be expensive in comparison to other tools out there, but so are many other Leathermans. Take the Signal, that one costs $200 over here. The tool/dollar ratio isn't really good there either, but I think it's a matter of preference and usage. I have seen several users on this forum that prefer fixed drivers to exchangeable bits. I find the P4 to be a brilliant off work EDC, and a worthy part of my collection with its unique magnets. :tu:

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 19, 2022, 05:29:21 PM
The obvious answer is to get both  :pok:  I prefer the P2 only because it's a little thinner than the P4, but both are outstanding tools and are definitely worth the premium price. 

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: September 19, 2022, 06:10:05 PM
Well, I went from having no Leatherman P4's to having two!  >:D  Last night, Amazon got them back in stock and I took advantage and ordered it. It came in early this morn! I knew if I ordered it there, I would get it.  It figures that this would be the one of the few times Walmart delivers on a tool order! It came via Fedex this afternoon!  ::).  Oh well, I have 90 days to return it to Walmart! My first impressions are that the Free P4 is top quality just like all other Leatherman tools I have, and I have many! The P4 seems more "high end" than most just from handling it. Maybe it is worth $150.00, maybe not, but I am glad I am finally an owner of one!  :climber:

How very classic MTo    :D    .... going from " I almost bought a Free P4"  to buying two in short order   :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: September 19, 2022, 06:34:15 PM
 :D
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
January Goal: $300.00