Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

B/buri 19 in 1 Multi-tool.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
B/buri 19 in 1 Multi-tool.
on: August 22, 2022, 04:00:56 AM
I finally decided to get one of these Bibury tools ordered from Amazon.ca. I got it for a 30% discount coupon, which sweetened the deal. I have been curious to see how it compares to a Leatherman Wave, which this Bibury is copying in a bad way. It came inside of 2 days, which is a record around these parts for delivery.

The box is a nice step up from what one usually gets. The first impression is a good one.

20220821_061149A by Chako, on Flickr

20220821_061204A by Chako, on Flickr

Opening the packaging continues the good first impression vibes. The included sheath was the first thing I noticed. I was expecting one of those cheap badly made sheaths. This is definitely a cut above those.

20220821_061231A by Chako, on Flickr

This tool is most definitely a Wave clone for the most part. There are a few differences which we will get into later. I must say, the design on the handles is eye catching. There is a front elastic pouch that holds a 3 double sided bit carrier. Not sure how long the elastic will last, but it does make accessing the bits a fairly easy proposition.

20220821_061300A by Chako, on Flickr

Looking on the backside, this sheath features a plastic belt loop system. I like these types as they are fairly easy to put on and off of the belt, but will hold the sheath to the belt in a secure fashion. A pocket clip is found on the tool, a nice bonus.

20220821_061314A by Chako, on Flickr

A button fastener is used. I prefer these to Velcro...possibly because I do leather work, repairing a broken one is not a big deal.

20220821_061342A by Chako, on Flickr

Yes, the Bibury 19 in 1 tool looks so much like a Wave, that the design is just as apparent with the pliers deployed. if the tool did not have those Bibury markings and designs on the handle, it could easily be mistaken for a Leatherman.

20220821_061442A by Chako, on Flickr

I like that this tool uses regular driver bits. To me, that is a big advantage over the Leatherman flat drivers. Mind you, I was never a big fan of the Leatherman bits.

20220821_061635A by Chako, on Flickr

So far, I have seen two improvements to the Leatherman Wave, and those are a pocket clip and a regular sized bit driver. Time to take a closer look between the Bibury and the Wave. The Bibury goes to great length to copying the Wave. So much so that the functionality is almost on par with the Wave.

saw - check
plain edge knife - check
serrated knife - check
multi functional file with one side diamond coated - check
bit driver - check
large flat driver - check
smaller flat driver - check (The Leatherman has a double bit driver here that is removable)
scissors - check
can opener and wire stripper - check

As can be seen, the Bibury copies the second generation Wave very closely.

20220821_061901A by Chako, on Flickr

Some minor differences, but a fairly deep homage overall.

20220821_062055A by Chako, on Flickr

Looking at the front of the tool, the Leatherman still has those cam wedges for the pliers. The Bibury does not have any of these.

20220821_062144A by Chako, on Flickr

As mentioned before, you do get a pocket clip included with the Bibury.

20220821_062204A by Chako, on Flickr

Final thoughts:

The Bibury is a clone of the Wave in many ways. I found out this tool is sold under many different names. My first impressions of the Bibury is fairly good. One thing I did notice is that Bibury has the tool locking safety feature but it does not work like the Leatherman does (Where you can't open the outer blades unless the pliers are closed). I know that the Bibury is not up to Leatherman standards, however, at the price point, this is one tool that might be tough to beat. I paid 41 Canadian for it with the discount. That is less than half the price of the Leatherman. The Leatherman is the better tool, but for that price, it is hard not to buy a Bibury and take one out for a spin. That is of course as long as you don't mind a company ripping off a Leatherman design.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline mikekoz

Re: B/buri 19 in 1 Multi-tool.
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 10:24:36 AM
   I also just bought one of these Wave inspired tools, and mine has a bonus that I did not notice when I ordered it. It actually has replaceable wire cutters! The brand on mine is Aflissa and it also came from Amazon. I guess this one was inspired by the Wave Gen 3!  I already own 2 of the Walmart Multiforce multitools and have been very impressed with them, so I had to try this one. Amazon made this an offer I could not refuse! It was only $29.99 and there was a 10% off deal, plus I had a $15.00 promo coupon! It did not have a pocket clip but came with a nice button shut case. The case did not have a place for extra bits, but the Aflissa did not come with any anyhow.  I stuck a small button magnet in the base of the driver and like my Multiforce's, will now accept regular bits. I also like the bit driver on these tools better than Leatherman's. I think we are going to see many more Wave -like multitools on the market moving forward.  The most "copied" multitool design I have ever seen is the ones from the Gerber Suspension, but these may bypass them!

Offline mikekoz

Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 01:48:30 PM
   I also just bought one of these Wave inspired tools, and mine has a bonus that I did not notice when I ordered it. It actually has replaceable wire cutters! The brand on mine is Aflissa and it also came from Amazon. I guess this one was inspired by the Wave Gen 3!  I already own 2 of the Walmart Multiforce multitools and have been very impressed with them, so I had to try this one. Amazon made this an offer I could not refuse! It was only $29.99 and there was a 10% off deal, plus I had a $15.00 promo coupon! It did not have a pocket clip but came with a nice button shut case. The case did not have a place for extra bits, but the Aflissa did not come with any anyhow.  I stuck a small button magnet in the base of the driver and like my Multiforce's, will now accept regular bits. I also like the bit driver on these tools better than Leatherman's. I think we are going to see many more Wave -like multitools on the market moving forward.  The most "copied" multitool design I have ever seen is the ones from the Gerber Suspension, but these may bypass them!

The brand is actually "Flissa", not "Aflissa."   For some reason I cannot edit my own post!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: August 22, 2022, 06:33:25 PM
For the longest time, it was the PST that was the most copied multi-tool. Times change.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #4 on: August 22, 2022, 07:10:37 PM
For the longest time, it was the PST that was the most copied multi-tool. Times change.

I do not see a whole lot of PST inspired tools these days. I have 3 or 4, but only one was purchased over the last year or so, and it was not too great! The others I have are all over 10 years old.

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #5 on: August 23, 2022, 01:05:43 AM

The brand is actually "Flissa", not "Aflissa."   For some reason I cannot edit my own post!

I read this thread this morning and found the hex bit driver interesting, so I ordered one, and it just arrived (eight hours later).  So far it looks pretty good.

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #6 on: October 15, 2022, 01:37:49 AM
I'm not sure why, but I love that bit storage pocket on the front of the sheath.

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 15, 2022, 08:59:32 AM
I'm not sure why, but I love that bit storage pocket on the front of the sheath.
Me too. And I wouldn't mind the regular sized bit driver either. Great write-up and pictures, Chako :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: October 19, 2022, 02:18:14 AM
 :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41