Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox warranty question

us Offline Kraken

Victorinox warranty question
on: September 25, 2022, 04:40:30 AM
   I've read enough posts and watched enough videos to know how good the Victorinox warranty is, but I'm wondering if I should take advantage of it. I have a pre-85 Camper that I carried with me every where when I was a kid. At some point I made the mistake of trying to pry something with the tip of the main blade and broke the tip off. After I rediscovered the knife again a few years ago, I decided to reprofile the blade and carry it again. Now it looks more like a sheepsfoot instead of the usual spear point.
   I'm toying with the idea of sending it in to have the main blade replaced, but I'm not sure if I should. I like the idea of having the Camper restored to it's former glory and fully functional. But seeing it as it is now reminds me of all the good times from the past, all the adventures I had with it. Also, if I had never broken the blade, I never would've searched for how to reprofile the blade and probably never would've found this forum. (Probably wouldn't have bought so many additional SAKs either).
   What would you do? Keep it with all of it's scratches, modified blade & faded Camping stamp on the scales? Or send it back for repair/refurbishment, restored to a near original state?  :think: :popcorn:
Semper Fortis

fr Offline rvlulu

Re: Victorinox warranty question
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 08:53:19 AM
Let it remain as it is.  8)

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 09:41:16 AM
Let it remain as it is.  8)

:iagree: sounds like it has too many memories to me

00 Offline XAVT

Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 09:41:27 AM
If it was me I would keep it as it is, every mark, scratch, blemish and knock is a memory for its use and maybe sometimes abuse :)

Everyone is different but for me I like to have knives that I use and don't mind if they get scratched and worn and even beat up from use then have other knives that are collectible, or collectible to me anyway and kept mint in their little houses (boxes)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 09:48:28 AM by XAVT »

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 10:20:46 AM
I have to agree with the comments above.  Keep it as is.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 10:36:47 AM
:iagree: sounds like it has too many memories to me
:iagree: :tu:

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: September 25, 2022, 03:30:55 PM
Leave it as it is and let it wear its scars with pride  :tu:
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline dimledger

• Kilroy Was Here
Reply #7 on: September 25, 2022, 03:39:07 PM
I think I'd just keep it as is, but I'm one of those sentimental types.

If you want a pre-85 Camper to use, you can probably find one for a decent price on eBay.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: September 25, 2022, 03:46:59 PM
 :iagree:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #9 on: September 25, 2022, 10:59:52 PM
I'd leave it as it is and make it an occasional carrier. Sending it in for a new blade would take away a significant part of its history (even though you'd get the original blade back). A little patience and luck could indeed get you a good user Camper for a small amount of money.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 26, 2022, 05:13:53 PM
I bet Vx wouldn’t repair it and instead would just send you a brand new replacement.  So I’d either keep it as is, or if the blade bothered me I’d send it to a skilled modder and have just the blade replaced.   

Hey, I once flush-filed the key ring tab on a Scientist, so I know the feeling.  I still have that knife and even though it’s retired it reminds me of a certain chapter of my life. 

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 26, 2022, 05:47:36 PM
Well that seems pretty unanimous - Keep as is ..... and I 100% agree.

It has history and memories - If the blade is replaced you kinda wipe them out
Also it sounds like it is still 100% usable - and you can look with pride on your restoration mod job.

On a separate topic - I really do not like people takng advantage of Victorinox's and Leatherman's warranty.
If you have abused a multitool ......  For me - That should not be subject to warranty!     >:(

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #12 on: September 27, 2022, 12:52:49 AM
 :iagree: I was surprised that I was not charged for repairs to one that was obviously abused (not by me). Maybe they're willing to give everybody one free pass? :dunno:
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Kraken

Reply #13 on: September 28, 2022, 07:46:29 PM
Thank you to everyone who gave their opinion. I agree with everyone that I should keep the knife as is, scars and all. Each scratch, dent and Nick has it's own story to go along with it and who am I to deny them being told or remembered. I can use them as teachable moments for my son and maybe someday, my grandchildren. I don't think I'll risk carrying it again, but it will surely have a place of honor in my display box.
 :hatsoff:
Semper Fortis

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #14 on: September 28, 2022, 10:51:53 PM
I regard pocket knives as tools that wear down, and finally meet their destination: a piece of metal junk. I have no emotional attachment to my tools, be it a hammer, a screwdriver, a saw or a pocket knife.
However I can fully understand your emotions towards this piece of iron and plastic because it reminds you of your youth, your past and your father (who probably gave it to  you).
So my advice is: Keep the old one, and buy a new one!

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #15 on: September 29, 2022, 07:44:46 PM
When I was still ignorant about how to sharpen my knives, I went through probably half a dozen Tinkers and Small Tinkers by over-sharpening the main blades. Now these knives are a source of parts for my SAK mods. 
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline Kraken

Reply #16 on: September 29, 2022, 09:56:22 PM
When I was still ignorant about how to sharpen my knives, I went through probably half a dozen Tinkers and Small Tinkers by over-sharpening the main blades. Now these knives are a source of parts for my SAK mods.
I've got a couple that I use to practice free hand sharpening and trying out different mods on certain tools so I don't worry about screwing up my normal carry SAKs.
Semper Fortis

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD