Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Time for a change

Kraken · 12 · 1073

us Offline Kraken

Time for a change
on: September 21, 2022, 01:52:46 AM
   For the last four years I’ve been carrying and Explorer as my EDC knife. I had bounced down the road of SAK self-discovery, trying out different models, looking for that sweet spot of carry- ability and functionality. And for the majority of those four years, the Explorer didn’t let me down. But each time I used it, it seemed that the other layers got more use than the magnifying glass or the inline Philips driver. And, truth be told, I can only recall a few instances where I wouldn’t have been able to use the driver on the end of the can opener instead.
   I used to be a big fan of ‘I’ll bring it, just in case I need it’. Now I’m a fan of ‘Why bring it if I’m not going to need it’. Such is the case with this particular layer of tools. I think it’s time to relieve the Explorer of its duty and let another model take over for a while.
   So I bought a new Climber, added the micro driver to the CS and a straight pin, swapped my lanyard from the Explorer over. Now it rides shotgun in my right hip pocket, ready to answer the call when necessary, willing and able, like the previous models that have served me so well.
   There’s a noticeable difference in bulk in my pocket and time will tell if there is a noticeable difference in functionality. I think those three layers are the sweet spot for me these days. I only wish the Climber came with the Naval Camouflage scales
Semper Fortis

ca Offline Canuckdad

Re: Time for a change
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 02:03:24 AM
   For the last four years I’ve been carrying and Explorer as my EDC knife. I had bounced down the road of SAK self-discovery, trying out different models, looking for that sweet spot of carry- ability and functionality. And for the majority of those four years, the Explorer didn’t let me down. But each time I used it, it seemed that the other layers got more use than the magnifying glass or the inline Philips driver. And, truth be told, I can only recall a few instances where I wouldn’t have been able to use the driver on the end of the can opener instead.
   I used to be a big fan of ‘I’ll bring it, just in case I need it’. Now I’m a fan of ‘Why bring it if I’m not going to need it’. Such is the case with this particular layer of tools. I think it’s time to relieve the Explorer of its duty and let another model take over for a while.
   So I bought a new Climber, added the micro driver to the CS and a straight pin, swapped my lanyard from the Explorer over. Now it rides shotgun in my right hip pocket, ready to answer the call when necessary, willing and able, like the previous models that have served me so well.
   There’s a noticeable difference in bulk in my pocket and time will tell if there is a noticeable difference in functionality. I think those three layers are the sweet spot for me these days. I only wish the Climber came with the Naval Camouflage scales

The Climber is a great EDC.  Its has lots of functionality but not the bulk. I wish you all the best on your SAK endeavors
Carry a Victorinox SAK folks,  because you dont know what life is about to throw at you.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 06:23:55 AM
 :iagree:. I don't think you'll find yourself wanting for anything with the Climber.  It's a first class multi tool.  I spent a week camping with just the Climber several years ago and didn't need anything else. 

Actually, you got me thinking about carrying mine again...
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 07:07:30 AM
I also moved away from my beloved Explorer.  Its no doubt a great SAK and never let me down.  It wasn't even a matter of letting me down.  I did pretty much as you, realized the mag glass just wasn't used as often as it once was.  I got a jewelers loop and a pocket magnifying glass.  Those changed everything for me. 

Good luck with the Climber not that it'll need it. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 08:29:21 AM
I've been through the same journey with the Explorer - it was my first SAK and I've just bought a brand new one. But I'm not sure I'll actually carry it much.

For one thing, I'm enjoying experimenting with other models, sizes, and tool sets. I'm still kind of dialing in what my daily-ish needs really are.

That said, the Climber is a great choice! I'm also a big fan of it's cousin the Super Tinker.

:climber:

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 21, 2022, 01:59:30 PM

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 21, 2022, 04:20:53 PM
^^^^   Ahhhhh     :'(   

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 04:30:40 PM
Well after years of carrying the .... errrrm ..... Huntsman

My beloved Hunstman was stolen - So I wanted to buy a new model and decided on the Ranger as it's such an awesome SAK

Well yes ..... But wrong for my urban EDC - Way too fat/heavy especially for office work trousers and as you say ....  ‘Why bring it if I’m not going to need it’.

So had a rethink and decided that the Climber really was the model for me -
And also kinda independently started collecting a few Climbers (story for another day!! )

Weird thing is: Having made that decision - I have never regularly carried the Climber as an EDC !!!   :o
I started off with a Wenger Patagonia S18 - Which I loved .....
Then switched to a Compact for a while .....
And now I am usually carrying ......
Yes you guessed it  ...... the Explorer - I like the inline Phillips and the mag glass is great for my long-sightedness   :tu:

us Offline Kraken

Reply #8 on: September 22, 2022, 08:37:49 PM
@Explorer, don't be sad; I didn't say this change was permanent. Maybe as I get old and my eyesight declined, that mag lay will prove invaluable.
Semper Fortis

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #9 on: September 24, 2022, 06:48:49 PM
I made the same change from Explorer to Climber this year. I originally bought the Explorer thinking that the mag glass would be useful for examining engineering drawings at work, but in reality I just use the zoom function in Adobe Acrobat. 

The Climber has everything I really need for an EDC SAK.  :climber:

So after discovering this, of course I bought myself a new SwissChamp.  :facepalm:
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #10 on: September 24, 2022, 07:17:19 PM
 :like:. My son introduced me to the same thing, and the field of view is a lot better!  As long as the battery holds out, that is  :rofl:
Barry

us Offline Kraken

Reply #11 on: September 24, 2022, 11:47:35 PM
I made the same change from Explorer to Climber this year. I originally bought the Explorer thinking that the mag glass would be useful for examining engineering drawings at work, but in reality I just use the zoom function in Adobe Acrobat. 

The Climber has everything I really need for an EDC SAK.  :climber:

So after discovering this, of course I bought myself a new SwissChamp.  :facepalm:
:cheers:
Semper Fortis

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88