Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

✬ 2022 Chuck Yeager Memorial Challenge ✬

Nix · 750 · 16381

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
✬ 2022 Chuck Yeager Memorial Challenge ✬
on: October 08, 2022, 11:04:07 PM

Welcome to the 2022 Chuck Yeager memorial challenge!

Last year we had a good time with this challenge, and I believe there are a few people who would like to participate this year. I can't resist a repeat.....

“Unfortunately, many people do not consider fun an important item on their daily agenda.
For me, that was always a high priority in whatever I was doing.”  -- Chuck Yeager

Born 23 February 1923 in West Virginia, Charles E. Yeager went on to lead a remarkable career as an aviator. He started flying in the Second World War, becoming an ace while flying the impressive P-51.

He was shot down over France, but managed to escape and evade with the help of French resistance, the "Maquis". Despite a ban on having downed pilots fly combat missions again, Yeager was able to talk his way back into combat duty. He subsequently shot down a bomber headed for England….

After the war, Yeager went on to become a test pilot and was the first pilot to break the sound barrier on 14 October 1947, in the X-1 "Glamorous Glennis", going Mach 1.05 at 45,000 ft (13,700 m). He truly had “the right stuff.”  :salute:

In addition to being a pilot and leader, Yeager was an avid outdoorsman. He honed his skills as a boy growing up in West Virginia where he helped put food on the family table.

Yeager appears to have favored a small pocket knife, a tool he put to regular use either while hunting or while escaping back to friendly lines. During one interview at Shot Show in 1992, Yeager reported that he was a fan of the Victorinox Executive. Apparently the Vic Exec was all the knife he needed for two week backpacking trips into the Sierras to go fishing.

General Yeager passed away, surely headed for further adventures, on 7 December 2020.

The general's history with the Executive is the reason we did the first Chuck Yeager Challenge several years ago. It was a fun challenge then, as were subsequent repeat challenges.  When the Executive’s most renowned advocate died in 2020, a number of us thought it would be befitting to run a memorial CYC challenge in December. Let's do it again this December!  :tu:

If you don’t have an Executive already, you might consider using this challenge as the perfect excuse to obtain one and test it out, as well as a great way to honor a legendary man and his famous knife! They can be hard to find, but some are available on the secondary market.  :tu:

Rules:

➢  Carry and use the Victorinox Executive exclusively during the month of December.
➢  Post a photo daily of your Executive daily. Bonus points for using the Exec to clean a Golden trout and photograph it.
➢  If you have to use a tool other than the Executive, stand at attention and explain yourself.
➢  On 7 December, please post a shot of your Executive along with a “parting glass”. ( Does not have to be alcohol, but it shouldn’t be empty. )
➢  Participants who compete the challenge can apply for the 30 Yeager badge.

Off we go….

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: ✬ 2022 Chuck Yeager Memorial Challenge ✬
Reply #1 on: October 08, 2022, 11:07:03 PM
2022 CYC Participants:

01: Nix

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 08, 2022, 11:22:51 PM
An Executive has been my trusty keychain "back up" through most of the challenges I did this year, and I'm looking forward to giving it a chance to shine.

I also may have gone a little overboard on grabbing spares when they were discontinued, so if anyone is having trouble getting their hands on one, drop me a PM and we can figure something out.

2022 CYC Participants:

02: BPRoberts

no Offline aicolainen

Reply #3 on: October 08, 2022, 11:41:49 PM
I’m new to this model and new to this forum, so my apologies for asking stupid questions.
Both the OP an the first reply suggests these are discontinued, but Victorinox.com show a model named “Executive” as in stock, and nothing to indicate it’s disco’ed. Am I misunderstanding something?
I don’t think it looks like a particularly useful model, but the challenge sounds fun, and worst case I might be able to mod it into something more useful afterwards. Just have to make sure I’m buying the right one.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: October 08, 2022, 11:55:15 PM

I also may have gone a little overboard on grabbing spares when they were discontinued, so if anyone is having trouble getting their hands on one, drop me a PM and we can figure something out.

:like:   :MTO:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: October 09, 2022, 12:00:12 AM
I’m new to this model and new to this forum, so my apologies for asking stupid questions.
Both the OP an the first reply suggests these are discontinued, but Victorinox.com show a model named “Executive” as in stock, and nothing to indicate it’s disco’ed. Am I misunderstanding something?
I don’t think it looks like a particularly useful model, but the challenge sounds fun, and worst case I might be able to mod it into something more useful afterwards. Just have to make sure I’m buying the right one.

There may be an "Executive 81" available. That is not the same knife and is not suitable for this challenge.

When I go to the Victorinox.com english website, the old (now discontinued) Executive isn't available online.   :dunno:

As to your concern that they don't seem useful....well....that's what the challenge is awl about!   :D  :ahhh  Try one for 30-days and see if they aren't more useful than you might think.  ;)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: October 09, 2022, 12:00:50 AM
The original Executive:

no Offline aicolainen

Reply #7 on: October 09, 2022, 12:14:53 AM
There may be an "Executive 81" available. That is not the same knife and is not suitable for this challenge.

When I go to the Victorinox.com english website, the old (now discontinued) Executive isn't available online.   :dunno:

As to your concern that they don't seem useful....well....that's what the challenge is awl about!   :D  :ahhh  Try one for 30-days and see if they aren't more useful than you might think.  ;)

Strange..

I guess I’ll just have to try to order one and see what happens :)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #8 on: October 09, 2022, 04:42:20 AM
The 81 is the Victorinox'ed Wenger Esquire, a completely different animal.  Count me in!

03: Barry Rowland
Barry

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #9 on: October 09, 2022, 05:40:02 AM
I'm in!

04: Farmer X

I don’t think it looks like a particularly useful model...
The challenge will certainly show how well it works for you. I've found it to be very useful, but of course, your results may vary.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #10 on: October 09, 2022, 07:15:22 AM
Strange..

(Image removed from quote.)
They may still be selling their last remaining stock.  It appears to already be out of stock in black but available in red.  On this side of the pond any new Executives disappeared a couple of years ago, after Vic announced they would stop making them.   :cheers:

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #11 on: October 09, 2022, 04:36:44 PM
Welcome to the 2022 Chuck Yeager memorial challenge!

If you don’t have an Executive already, you might consider using this challenge as the perfect excuse to obtain one and test it out...

Not having one until late last year,
I picked up several executives, off of the eBay, during last year's challenge and was quite impressed with the knife.
So if you'll allow me to once more participate, the list will fill out a bit more.

05: PitCarver
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline CM Yo

Reply #12 on: October 09, 2022, 06:15:15 PM
I too am an Executive fan and carry one daily on my keychain. Have enjoyed my Executive so much I have a backup.

I am in.

Sent from the Dusty Desert

Living and Loving

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #13 on: October 09, 2022, 06:40:36 PM
I have an Executive now, sign me up!

Mine needs a clean and sharpen so I’ve got plenty of time to rehab it.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: October 10, 2022, 01:21:43 AM

:ahhh   :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: October 10, 2022, 01:22:59 AM
CYC 2022 Participants:

06: CM Yo
07: marlowe221

:cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: October 10, 2022, 01:23:58 AM
The challenge will certainly show how well it works for you. I've found it to be very useful, but of course, your results may vary.

Especially given the compact size.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #17 on: October 10, 2022, 06:03:12 AM
I’m in. 

06: CM Yo
07: marlowe221
08: Sos24

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: October 10, 2022, 03:45:18 PM
Excelent!   :tu:

no Offline aicolainen

Reply #19 on: October 13, 2022, 08:32:37 PM
Strange..

:ahhh   :tu:

Well, that went quite well.

This is pretty bananas, buying a MT I really don’t see any use for, but I like the backstory for this particular challenge. Hopefully the only time I’ll go ahead and buy a MT for the sole purpose of participating in a forum challenge, but this Yeager fellow seems like the one to do it for, if anyone.

Found it in stock at a domestic dealer, so everything went super smooth. Only surprise was the color. The product page showed a red one, so I was a bit surprised to find a black one when I opened my package. Does not bother me at all, so I wont even take the time to see if there was any info about this through the ordering process. A nice change if anything, all my other plastic scaled SAKs are red.

Hope you peeps will let me in on the challenge, even if the tool doesn’t quite convince me yet. I have nothing but respect for those who do like it, it’s just my personal assumption of how useful it will be for me, in my life based on my experience with it this far.
I enter with an open mind and hope to be convinced, but I’ll say this though; I really hope I can manage to get all the deers on my hunting license by the end of November, cause I really don’t want to have to field dress a deer with this thing :D

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #20 on: October 13, 2022, 10:38:51 PM
Well, that's half the fun of the challenges - finding out how the SAK in question works for you (or doesn't).

I'll add a fun fact about the Executive. It was also used by MacGyver in several episodes of the original series, especially in Season 1.

no Offline aicolainen

Reply #21 on: October 13, 2022, 11:25:32 PM
It’s been a while since I’ve watched MacGyver, but that’s comforting to know :)
I’m totally expecting to have fun, no worries.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #22 on: October 14, 2022, 12:04:26 AM
Well, that went quite well.
(Image removed from quote.)

This is pretty bananas, buying a MT I really don’t see any use for, but I like the backstory for this particular challenge. Hopefully the only time I’ll go ahead and buy a MT for the sole purpose of participating in a forum challenge, but this Yeager fellow seems like the one to do it for, if anyone.

I didn't have an Executive either, but I found one on the eBay before last year's challenge.  By the end of it I had several more.  I still have an open search on the eBay for the Executive too.   Recently found a nice Alox one that's simply added to my collection.

* aloxeecutive.jpg (Filesize: 223.97 KB)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: October 14, 2022, 03:30:20 AM
Well, that's half the fun of the challenges - finding out how the SAK in question works for you (or doesn't).

I'll add a fun fact about the Executive. It was also used by MacGyver in several episodes of the original series, especially in Season 1.

:iagree:

But....probably not a great deer knife.....  :rofl:

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #24 on: October 14, 2022, 05:32:02 AM
Well, not with that attitude! :pok:

no Offline aicolainen

Reply #25 on: October 14, 2022, 12:00:01 PM
I didn't have an Executive either, but I found one on the eBay before last year's challenge.  By the end of it I had several more.  I still have an open search on the eBay for the Executive too.   Recently found a nice Alox one that's simply added to my collection.

Nice find!

I usually prefer alox models, even if it means giving up the scale tools.

Ohh... and by the way. After giving it some more thought, it seems there is actually a niche for my executive to fill beyond the scope of this challenge.
I don't often think about MT's from the perspective of grooming, it's not a use case that appeals very much to me, that said.. I do often keep my Compact in my office, just to have basic grooming capability that can covertly by brought to the restroom in case of "emergency" .
The thing is though, the Compact is an important component in some of my "multitool combo's", so keeping it stored in my office isn't ideal.

If nothing else, the Executive should be able to free up my Compact for easier logistics. And I even expect it would outperform it in that specific role.
And I actually peel a lot of oranges when I'm at work too. Pretty much every day when they're in season, and while I don't really need a dedicated orange peeler for that, the knives I use at work are typically carbon steel or low chromium stainless, and all that orange peeling really put a noticeable patina on my blades after a while. So, again I wouldn't have bought any tool just to have a dedicated orange peeler, but now that I'll have it there anyways, it makes perfect sense to use it.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: October 14, 2022, 02:53:43 PM
As we rev up for the challenge, let's take a minute to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the General's most famous accomplishment: breaking the sound barrier.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: October 14, 2022, 03:09:03 PM
Great note!

:woohoo:

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #28 on: October 14, 2022, 03:14:47 PM
Nice find!

I usually prefer alox models, even if it means giving up the scale tools.

Ohh... and by the way. After giving it some more thought, it seems there is actually a niche for my executive to fill beyond the scope of this challenge.
I don't often think about MT's from the perspective of grooming, it's not a use case that appeals very much to me, that said.. I do often keep my Compact in my office, just to have basic grooming capability that can covertly by brought to the restroom in case of "emergency" .
The thing is though, the Compact is an important component in some of my "multitool combo's", so keeping it stored in my office isn't ideal.

If nothing else, the Executive should be able to free up my Compact for easier logistics. And I even expect it would outperform it in that specific role.
And I actually peel a lot of oranges when I'm at work too. Pretty much every day when they're in season, and while I don't really need a dedicated orange peeler for that, the knives I use at work are typically carbon steel or low chromium stainless, and all that orange peeling really put a noticeable patina on my blades after a while. So, again I wouldn't have bought any tool just to have a dedicated orange peeler, but now that I'll have it there anyways, it makes perfect sense to use it.

* check off yes.jpg (Filesize: 35.73 KB)

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #29 on: October 14, 2022, 03:15:52 PM
As we rev up for the challenge, let's take a minute to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the General's most famous accomplishment: breaking the sound barrier.

Most certainly.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69