Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First Look: Tasmanian Tiger Sentinel 40

de Offline Thehunt

First Look: Tasmanian Tiger Sentinel 40
on: October 09, 2022, 03:29:35 PM
"The customer doesn't buy a drill, he buys the picture on the wall."
That's how one of my first coaches put it many, many years ago. He was right.

I don't buy a backpack, I "buy" great adventures and wonderful memories. Good equipment is something you can enjoy per se, but it is always "only" a means to an end.

The end then looks like this:

Now in autumn it is often the case that you are already shivering in the morning and at lunchtime you are only in your shirt, so it is a good idea to have a pack that is variable in volume to have the necessary layers of warmth quickly at hand. The Sentinel 40 is such a pack.

As the name suggests, there is the Sentinel in 40 liters of volume, but also in a 28 liter version (which, however, has been kidnaped my better half). We stay with the larger of the two, the differences are very minute anyway, except for the slightly lighter hip belt and the lower volume are both identical.

I'm 183cm tall, 85kg, waist size 32/33, for sizing purposes:

We're talking about a very lightweight backpack here, at just 1500 grams (40 liter version) or 1150 grams (28 liter version). For comparison, the classic TT Modular 30 weighs 1650 grams without internal pockets.

All three packs come with the Padded Back system, good to see here:

Load control straps, pass-through for cables or a hydration tube, carry handle, all neatly together.

The shoulder straps come with D-rings and lasercut molle, which I find very practical.
The D-ring will play a pivotal "supporting role" later on too…
M

de Offline Thehunt

Re: First Look: Tasmanian Tiger Sentinel 40
Reply #1 on: October 09, 2022, 03:30:06 PM
Here on the right side with compass pocket:

As usual, excess webbing can be neatly stowed away:

Hidden underneath are the buckles of the quick release system.

The hip belt is a one-piece design on the 40-liter model, and a two-piece design on the 28-liter model (as it is on the Modular 30 as well).

The 40 is also stiffer so more load is transferred to the hips. Well done.
Webbing can also be stowed here under the elastic.

If you feel so inclined, you can attach additional pockets to the Lasermolle, something I avoid where I can, my arms unfortunately always get into trouble with hip pockets while walking....

Behind the hip belt we find a narrower laser slot, what it's all about we'll see in a moment.

The pack is made entirely of 700 Cordura, T-Square Rip FD, which has proven to be very water resistant.

Good to see here, removable compression straps that are long enough to also attach sleeping mats or similar. Below you can barely see the Hypalon loop on both sides, ideal as a counter bearing for tripods or hiking poles.

One thing you´ll look for in vain, an external side pocket.

A look at the front and the center zipper pocket, good for maps, cables or the like, I always stowed my gloves there.

The webbing of the rip-stop fabric is good to see here, as mentioned in the pocket are my gloves.

Right side: clean laser cut molle, but again no outside pocket. I already missed those on the Modular 30, and was delighted when the MilOPS 30 finally had two of them.

By the way, the Sentinels are roll-top backpacks, so „unneeded“ volume can simply be "rolled away". In addition, there is a YKK zipper (as with the front pocket) that closes the main compartment to the top. Thus, you can use the complete volume and lose nothing to the roll-closure, some of you might know this from other manufacturers, as the roll top remains open, so that the grocerys fits in at all…
M

de Offline Thehunt

Reply #2 on: October 09, 2022, 03:30:36 PM
I found these new latches to be very exciting, they can be rotated 180 degrees and fit in both directions. Pretty clever, so you only need one spare part, no matter which side should ever break.

We are again dealing with very high quality WuJin locks, they are sturdy and should hold properly over time.

A quick look inside:

On the back we find fleece/Molle Velcro throughout - admin pouches or a bladder carrier can be easily mounted this way.

There are no further subdivisions, "less is more" is the weight-saving motto here.

As with the TT Basepack, the roll top can be folded down, which makes packing so much easier. The roll top is slightly trapezoidal cut at the top, which is very thoughtful (although more expensive to manufacture, because more material is needed).

Here's a look at my loadout, the only thing missing is the TAD Ranger hoodie (which did fit in though):

Again, a look back at the side pocket. I use them, if available, for my water bottles. One on the right, one on the left, done. Spare bottle in the main compartment.

For me, constantly putting the pack on and off for hydration breaks is just too fiddly. So what to do?
The mad Finns of Varusteleka (who should not know them, look at the store, the product descriptions are divine...) have the Finnish army bottle in store. Some clever guy has given this "Canteen" a metal hook. So what does the thirsty author do?

This:

I did mention that the D-ring takes on a supporting role....
Two handbreadths of shockcord and a cord lock passed under the lasercut muslin, done:
M

de Offline Thehunt

Reply #3 on: October 09, 2022, 03:30:54 PM
So, what do we do with the webbing?

Thread it into the aforementioned narrow lasercut molle slot!

Then you can sinch the RollTop closure down to the bottom, it will look like this:

From my point of view, purely a matter of taste, which one you like better:

In the event you just leave the two straps on and run them to the front, that way you have an extra pair of compression straps and can buckle the RollTop on the top.

Even if the gear closet is bursting at the seams, the Sentinel brings real advantages with it, for one the low initial weight and the variable size, really super.

The manufacturing and QC is as always top, so for those of you who are looking for a backpack for the fall/springtransitional period (or for shopping) will certainly find it here.

As always, if you have any questions, just ask!
M

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 09, 2022, 03:42:33 PM
Excellent write up and pictures, thanks for sharing! I really like the laser cut molle :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%