Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help me pick

cnlson · 37 · 1255

Offline cnlson

Help me pick
on: October 11, 2022, 10:39:20 PM
So it is time for my annual military discount order. In case you are not aware, leatherman gives active and veterans a discount on 3 items once a year. last year it was 40% this year 30% So I am looking for something to add to my collection. So first I should probably start with my collection link to discount https://www.leatherman.com/military-discount.html

Not EDCEDCSmall Tools]Loathed
PST - took to war in 90 started me down
this path.
OG wav x2juice pro - 3free p2 - hate it
PST2 + bit kitnew wave - 4juice cs4 -2oht - worst leatherman ever
poor copy of a gerber need I
say more?
kickwave plusjuice s2 - 2
blast x2juice kf4
st200charge ti x2 previous previous edcjuice xe6 3
st300charge tti
rebarcharge al previous edcsquirt es4
mini charge +    x2 current edc, i only carry one of them.squirt ps4
crunchsquirt p4
surge gen 1
raptor - original surge gen 2several micra, no idea how many
Mut EOD
signal yellow and black - sits next to my 3d printer 
and is probably my most used tool since 2017.
style cs x2 wife edc
wingman x2 I give these as gifts
Sidekick x2 also gifts

i've been looking at the 300M, I do have the ratchet already but maybe another? suggestions welcome
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 10:45:57 PM by cnlson »

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Re: Help me pick
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2022, 10:56:29 PM
Since you obviously like the Charge, you should get the orange Charge G10.

Offline cnlson

Reply #2 on: October 11, 2022, 11:22:22 PM
Since you obviously like the Charge, you should get the orange Charge G10.
i really like the charge + with the black scales. maybe if the earth or forest came back. but otherwise i am good on charges.

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 01:23:36 AM
If you consider yourself a collector, then you'll eventually want one of everything.  If that is the case, just buy the most expensive tools that you don't have yet.  Even though you might not like the Free P4, you know you'll want it in your collection. 

If not, I see a disturbing lack of Skeletools in your collection.  I consider the CX a "must have", and the RX is very cool too.

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 05:22:07 AM
It sounds as if you're looking for a safe queen rather than a user? My top pick for a safe queen would be a topo Signal. For a user, I'd be torn between a Rebar and a Wave; I'd get those in black oxide. But that's just me...
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: October 12, 2022, 05:26:37 AM
You seem to be lacking in the Supertool dept. I would start there   :tu:

Perhaps the  Heritage PST reissue for your collection.

Offline cnlson

Reply #6 on: October 12, 2022, 05:59:06 AM
If not, I see a disturbing lack of Skeletools in your collection.  I consider the CX a "must have", and the RX is very cool too.

I've owned 2 or 3 and I just don't care for them. I always give them away. My sister, a neighbor and i cannot recall who else. Not enough utility? bites my hands? i don't know why I just cannot keep one.

If you consider yourself a collector, then you'll eventually want one of everything.  If that is the case, just buy the most expensive tools that you don't have yet.  Even though you might not like the Free P4, you know you'll want it in your collection. 
yeah, i was that way last year with juices, I actually bought all of what i have last year.  I really overpaid for some of them, amusingly the ones i have that are "perfect" were the cheapest. $15 for a perfect cs4, $45 for a kf4 that looks like it just came out of a package. $80 for a pro with not one blemish and it even came with a case that is still plush inside nearly 20 years later.  craigslist beats ebay because people selling on craigslist rarely know what the actual value of what they are selling.

right now I have a craigslist buy of a knockoff kershaw a100c for $20 and 2 swisstool RS still in the original packaging @ $65 each. The latter I didn't want but when I looked on ebay they are selling for $175 used and at that point I could not resist the thought of actually making money on this "hobby" I'm hoping they will bid over $200.

as far as the free series go. I paid $60 for the p2 and although I don't like it, I feel i paid a fair price for it. paying over $100 for the p4 is not reasonable. no premium steel for the blade, and the crudity of the tools is just grating to me. If the discount was 40% off. I might be able to stomach that, and I've seen them on ebay/Craigslist for less than $100, but i am never motivated to buy. Once I can easily find one for $80 or so I might buy. but not a penny more.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 06:25:29 AM by cnlson »

Offline cnlson

Reply #7 on: October 12, 2022, 06:01:42 AM
It sounds as if you're looking for a safe queen rather than a user? My top pick for a safe queen would be a topo Signal. For a user, I'd be torn between a Rebar and a Wave; I'd get those in black oxide. But that's just me...

I have a rebar that i bought new for $35 and it has sat in the drawer since new. I have 6 or so waves of various generations and I've never paid more than $60 for any of them.
the topo signal is one has peaked my interest a couple of times in the past. When I bought the original signal I paid like $79 so they seem so expensive even with the discount. but that was then i guess.

i will keep this in mind.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 06:10:54 AM by cnlson »

Offline cnlson

Reply #8 on: October 12, 2022, 06:06:41 AM
You seem to be lacking in the Supertool dept. I would start there   :tu:

Perhaps the  Heritage PST reissue for your collection.

I have the st200 and 300 already, but I was thinking of maybe the st300m  I want to get a look at that pry tool and the extension that comes with it, so maybe at 2 with that and the topo signal.

as far as the pst, I have my original, it got me through the gulf war, keeping my 1950's straight from the Philippines  5 ton truck running, when it should have given up the ghost more than once.

the blade on it was trashed and so were a few of the other tools, the case was also turned into suede by the sand. I sent it back into leatherman when i got back and they fixed it all up and gave me a new case even with a thanks for my service note when it came back. better story than any heritage pst has.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 06:12:30 AM by cnlson »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: October 12, 2022, 07:42:00 AM
 :think:  You've got all the usual suspects it seems.  Only thing I can think of is a collector what about the Tread?

I didn't see a Raptor either. 

Whatever you get Thank you for your service and enjoy the new tool/s.
Esse Quam Videri

Offline cnlson

Reply #10 on: October 12, 2022, 07:43:25 AM
looks like i could get the "maintenance kit" for $40 lol. they have the sharpener separate for 15 so that would be 10. about what they cost from worksharp.

anyone know how this works? https://www.leatherman.com/removable-bit-driver-126.html

Leatherman signal multi-tool, green
SIGNAL® Item #: 833016
Color: Green
Sheath: Black Nylon
Military Discount

Price reduced from$129.95to $90.96

SUPER TOOL® 300M Item #: 832756
Color: Black
Sheath: MOLLE Black
Military Discount

Price reduced from$109.95to $76.96

Saw for Super Tool® 300 EOD
SAW FOR SUPER TOOL® 300 EOD
Item #: 930377

PRICE $6.00

Removable Bit Driver
REMOVABLE BIT DRIVER
Item #: 931012
Military Discount

Price reduced from$24.00to $16.80

Shipping discount-$5.95
Sales Tax
$0.00
Estimated Total
$190.72

or, add a crunch?

SIGNAL®
Military Discount
Price reduced from$129.95to $90.96

Super Tool® 300M
Military Discount
Price reduced from$109.95to  $76.96

CRUNCH®
Military Discount
Price reduced from$109.95to $76.96

total
$244.88

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 12, 2022, 10:02:15 AM
anyone know how this works? https://www.leatherman.com/removable-bit-driver-126.html

It's for the ST300, Rebar and Bond. You just push it onto your Philips driver :tu:

(I didn't have a better photo, the middle one)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 10:08:33 AM by nakken »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: October 12, 2022, 02:45:10 PM
The Removable Bit Adapter is one of the best accessories for the square shank Phillips out there :salute: I keep it and yhe half bit kit it comes with, in my work sheath no matter what tool I have because of the buts of the regular bit adapter and if I have a tool with the square shank Phillips then it can be used as a bit driver as well :cheers:

The TOPO Signal is also a great addition :tu: The 300m also has a vote from me and I will likely try to add the BO version along with my coyote tan one :ahhh

Offline stugumby

Reply #13 on: October 12, 2022, 05:35:05 PM
Super tool 300M is quite a tool, now has the bit driver, the long awl/scraper and pry tool have extended its capability. I work in the security industry and I use the long awl to scoop out door pin holes in the transom now and then. Used the pry,nail puller to open small banded crate. A bit heavy to carry, mine was from the bay so I need to get the new style bit adaptor.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 05:41:33 PM by stugumby »

Offline cnlson

Reply #14 on: October 12, 2022, 11:47:05 PM
:think:  You've got all the usual suspects it seems.  Only thing I can think of is a collector what about the Tread?

I didn't see a Raptor either. 

Whatever you get Thank you for your service and enjoy the new tool/s.

i've looked at a tread, but i don't wear a watch or much jewelry and I don't like how hard it would be to use the tools.

Raptor first row towards the bottom.
I joined to pay for college, but the education I got from going to war was more valuable.
Glad i got out before the GWOT.

Offline cnlson

Reply #15 on: October 12, 2022, 11:52:37 PM
It's for the ST300, Rebar and Bond. You just push it onto your Philips driver :tu:

(Image removed from quote.)

(I didn't have a better photo, the middle one)
Thanks for the picture! I have the outside 2 already

Offline cnlson

Reply #16 on: October 12, 2022, 11:53:51 PM
Super tool 300M is quite a tool, now has the bit driver, the long awl/scraper and pry tool have extended its capability. I work in the security industry and I use the long awl to scoop out door pin holes in the transom now and then. Used the pry,nail puller to open small banded crate. A bit heavy to carry, mine was from the bay so I need to get the new style bit adaptor.
2 votes for the 300m

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #17 on: October 13, 2022, 02:46:39 AM
You mentioned a Crunch, but there’s already one in your list.

In your position, I reckon it’s between the 300M and the 300EOD, with a Curl as another possibility. If you have that many Waves and Charges and a couple of Surges, you clearly likely be one handed opening style more than the classics.

If you were just looking to add to your collection and didn’t need to buy directly from Leatherman to use the discount, hunting down a Darkside would seem like the obvious move.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #18 on: October 13, 2022, 05:03:55 AM
Glad i got out before the GWOT.
I served during that period.

Are you any closer to a decision?
USN 2000-2006

Offline cnlson

Reply #19 on: October 13, 2022, 06:05:58 AM
You mentioned a Crunch, but there’s already one in your list.

In your position, I reckon it’s between the 300M and the 300EOD, with a Curl as another possibility. If you have that many Waves and Charges and a couple of Surges, you clearly likely be one handed opening style more than the classics.

If you were just looking to add to your collection and didn’t need to buy directly from Leatherman to use the discount, hunting down a Darkside would seem like the obvious move.
i have the mut EOD and I don't need that style of plier head a second time. I have no caps to crimp onto det cord.

the M has more interesting tools.

The crunch is just because It's unique and useful. Plus there is talk they may end production so it might not be around next year.
The darkside kinda goes along with the g10 charges. looks cool but doesn't add enough to justify $450 (the cheapest one I see on CL right now)
I do buy alot secondhand craigslist and ebay. I just bought that Supertool 200 for $34 on ebay. it was in perfect shape with only a little wear on the factory edge of the plain knife and missing the case.

Offline cnlson

Reply #20 on: October 13, 2022, 06:07:00 AM
I served during that period.

i'm teetering between the crunch and another ratchet.

what ship were you on?

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #21 on: October 13, 2022, 07:17:33 AM
i'm teetering between the crunch and another ratchet.

I thought from your list you already had a Crunch. It’d be top of my list without a doubt.

Offline cnlson

Reply #22 on: October 13, 2022, 07:30:03 AM
I thought from your list you already had a Crunch. It’d be top of my list without a doubt.

i do have one, but 2 would be twice as good, right? :cheers:

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #23 on: October 13, 2022, 08:31:52 AM
i do have one, but 2 would be twice as good, right? :cheers:

I’ve got four, including one tucked away in the safe for a future gift, so yeah, two is fine.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #24 on: October 14, 2022, 05:52:18 AM
what ship were you on?
Both USS Lake Champlain (CG-57) and USS Peleliu (LHA-5). I did two deployments aboard Peleliu.
USN 2000-2006

Offline cnlson

Reply #25 on: October 14, 2022, 06:18:31 AM
Both USS Lake Champlain (CG-57) and USS Peleliu (LHA-5). I did two deployments aboard Peleliu.

Being able to land craft, jets and helos would have been an interesting ship to work on.

Offline cnlson

Reply #26 on: October 14, 2022, 06:33:41 AM
trigger pulled, arrives next wednesday

hope the plier gnomes bless the 300m and the signal so i don't have to send them back to get the gack out of the plier heads

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #27 on: October 14, 2022, 09:57:21 AM
That’s a lot of tool for $260!

Nice little package to look forward to.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: October 14, 2022, 01:26:03 PM
Some great choices  :o Great prices for them as well :tu: :like: :like:

us Offline SteveC