Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Powerbank help

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Powerbank help
on: October 13, 2022, 09:18:25 AM
Hi fellow multitool and flashlights, I wonder if anybody can help with some advice on power banks.  I have been thinking of buying one, given the threat of blackouts in the UK this winter. I am mainly looking to charge a smartphone but I am also looking to investigate rechargeable batteries for flashlights.

Does anybody out there have any experience with, or recommendations for, power banks?

Thanks in advance  :salute:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Powerbank help
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2022, 03:13:08 PM
If 18650 powered flashlights, then this might be one to consider

https://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%20USB%20battery%20box%20Tomo%20M4%20UK.html

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2022, 04:13:47 PM
I’ve had a number over the years; the Anker ones seem to be pretty good quality, but anything that has good reviews on the big river site will probably be fine.

If it were me, I would save the power bank capacity for cell phone charging, and consider one or more of the following options for light:

- 30-day or 60-day (or equivalent) lanterns - These are fairly large and heavy, generally running on 3-6+ D batteries.  But, as the names imply, they have extremely long run times, and are just the thing to set on a table or hang from the ceiling.

- good quality single AA flashlight - Something like a Fenix E12 V2 boasts 70 hours of runtime on low.  It’s small enough that carrying it around in your pocket is easy.   Even allowing for some exaggeration by the manufacturer, one of these paired with a large (e.g. 32 or 48 count) pack of AA batteries should provide thousands of hours of light.

us Offline edc yes

Reply #3 on: October 13, 2022, 04:42:49 PM
 :iagree:
Bought a JW 4000ma bank off the shelf at the local drugstore. Has served well over about 50 discharge/recharges.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 04:52:47 PM by edc yes »
-Craftsman/Sheffield box cutter, color of the day
-NXT700 (700/NXT hybrid)
-The year before last year's portable electronic interface (holster modded)
-Mountainsmith Day Pack, mildly modded

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #4 on: October 13, 2022, 04:55:39 PM
Thanks guys - I knew you would know the answer  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: October 13, 2022, 06:14:13 PM
I'm happy with my Anker.  I also have a few no name ones that have been good.  There have been some really good rechargeable USB lights that have come out.  One in particular I have and really like is RovyVon Auroa A5. 

As for rechargeable cells, I mostly use Eneloop. 
Esse Quam Videri

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 04:32:38 PM
I have a couple of Anker power banks, an older 20000mah one that has been an old faithful I have taken all over camping with me for years, and its still great.  I also have a newer 26800mah one that has USB C charging and output so it can charge modern cell phones faster, it as been great so far to.

I'm glad I have them for the same reason as you, the upcoming power cuts they are saying we will get this winter.  I've also got a couple of ryobi mini inverters for running lamps that just use my tool batteries and could also charge phone, and some cheapo chinese LED lanterns that take standard AA batteries for backup.

us Offline Sos24

Powerbank help
Reply #7 on: October 13, 2023, 10:43:50 PM
I really like the Nitecore NB 10000 for carrying because it is one of the smallest and lightest of its capacity and proven reliable.  Nitecore also has a NB 20000 if you want more capacity.

Anker also makes very good powerbanks and is considered the industry standard by many for their quality over the years.

As far as rechargeable batteries for flashlights Eneloop is a great brand.  I also really like Pale Blue Earth because their batteries have built in usb-c charging ports so you don’t need to have a separate charger.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 13, 2023, 11:35:00 PM
I really like this as it’s a combo flashlight and powerbank. Takes other batteries as well.

https://toolguyd.com/new-husky-led-lights-with-usb-c-charging-backup-battery-options/

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #9 on: October 14, 2023, 12:01:15 AM
Anything from Anker is worth buying. 

I really like the Nitecore NB 10000

I have 2x of those as well.  They were billed as the lightest 10,000 on the market.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #10 on: October 14, 2023, 12:56:57 PM
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #11 on: October 19, 2023, 08:52:23 AM
These seem to be a good deal and work with a variety of number of cells. They work pretty good also and the price is good. You can even use cells that ah e recovered from various sources, but they should all be the same voltage and cycles to be extra safe. I haven’t had a problem with these as of yet.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804249704817.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%