Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How many flashlights do you EDC? Poll

Poll

How many flashlights (torches for you blokes across the pond) do you carry on your person most days?

1 (My cell phone, who needs more that that?)
2-3 (No one is judging you, except those who think you should have more!)
3-4 (You are just average... but you can change all that! Buy, buy, buy!)
4-5 (Have you considered therapy?)
6 or more (Welcome to the rabbit hole. There is no return.)

us Offline DIAMOND

• Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits
How many flashlights do you EDC? Poll
on: August 28, 2023, 10:25:37 PM
I was suddenly made self-aware that I seemed to have a rather large number of means off illumination on me most every day.

Here's my list...
1. Cell phone - I use it as a flashlight all too often considering the other means of lighting I carry. They say it's best to reserve your phone battery for communication when in an emergency situation.

2. Tank007 E09 AAA 3 mode flashlight always hanging inside my pocket on a pocket suspension clip.

3. Squeezy light on my main keys

4. Another squeezy on my waste pack (yeah, I'm THAT guy)

5. Yet a third squeezy attached to a Vic Classic (non-SD) in the bottom of my pocket.

6. Digital watch - typically a Casio of some kind (bright enough in pitch darkness)

So, that's six for me.  :facepalm:

Some days it's five if I'm wearing an analog watch.

Note: You can change you choice as time goes on.
MTs: Gerber Dime, Gerber Suspension NXT, PLeatherman Wave, Misc China Cheapos

SAKs: Vic Climber, Vic Classic SD, Vic Classic (non-SD), Engraved 3-blade SAK (given to me as a gift)

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: How many flashlights do you EDC? Poll
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2023, 10:42:22 PM
First, I should state that I don't often use the term "EDC" because I only have a couple of items that I carry EVERY DAY.

The simple answer is: I carry at least one, and I don't count my cell phone.

The more detailed answer is: It depends.  Here are a few of many factors:

• What am I doing that day?: Am I just working at the office? Am I working around the property on the weekend?
  • What time of year is it?  Summertime needs are not the same as those of the darker days of the year.
  • Am I carrying a sidearm?  Some days I do, some days I don't.  This relates somewhat to the first item above

Listing all of my carry lights would take a while.  Listing all of my lights would take a great deal longer.  I will say this; my lightweight summer carry for times when I don't have particular needs is a Prometheus Beta v1 on a pocket dangler, with a hat clip on it so I can use it as a headlamp when needed.
- Terry

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #2 on: August 28, 2023, 10:55:22 PM
Prometheus Beta v1

Nice choice!

And a lot of thought put into your carry. My items rarely change no matter where I'm going ot what I'm doing.

SAKs: Vic Climber, Vic Classic SD, Vic Classic (non-SD), Engraved 3-blade SAK (given to me as a gift)

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #3 on: August 28, 2023, 11:18:36 PM
Thanks D. I'll try to add more detail when I get some time.  There are about 4-5 that I typically carry besides the Beta--mostly Malkoff.
- Terry

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 05:43:56 AM
I would say I’m normally at 3-4, depending on if I’m working or not.

1. 21700-powered primary flashlight - currently a Nitecore MH10S, but always looking to upgrade if I can find something objectively better.

2. Single AAA light on key chain for backup - I have several different ones, but only carry one at a time.

3. Personal cell phone - Not a great light, but certainly better than nothing if it came to that.  Also agree with trying to save phone batteries for communication rather than using for lighting.

4. Work cell phone - typically only carried when working, otherwise same as #3.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #5 on: August 29, 2023, 06:23:13 AM
I answered 2-3

On my key fob I have a small AAA flashlight and a Fauxton (pinch light).   I don't count my phone as: A I can't remember how to turn the light on, and B  I don't carry my phone around when I'm home (so it's not an EDC).  I do have lots of battery powered night lights scattered around my house and garage, and several more powerful flashlights at strategic locations (about 9 IIRC).  So I think I've got my non-mains voltage lighting requirements covered pretty well.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #6 on: August 29, 2023, 03:56:51 PM
Am I the only one who actually carries a SAK with a torch, then?

I have:

- Main torch: Olight Perun Mini. Currently carrying the Mini 2, as I lost my Mini but loved it so much I bought a replacement. I sometimes swap them around.
 - Back-up: Lumintop Tool AA. Because my main gets used so often it either runs out of batteries, or I have passed it to someone and need my own.
 - Olight i1R 2 EoS. Perfect size for my pocket IFAK.
 - Huntsman Lite, along with a Cybertool Lite for when I am fiddling with PCs round at someone's house.
 - Fenix HM50R v2..... because teh Olight headband sucks.

I carry some others for certain situations, such as taking a Fenix TK11TAC out when I'm walking the dogs in an open space at night, or a Nitecore TIP2 in a pocket for minimalist carry, or a Maglite Solitaire so the girls don't utterly blind themselves with it.

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #7 on: August 29, 2023, 05:17:24 PM
I love the replies. Keep them coming. Pics welcome, too.  :pok:

Tasky, I don't have any Lite SAKs. One of these days.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #8 on: August 30, 2023, 03:39:05 AM
Well three waiting for use, bedroom, living room, and keychain. But there’s probably at least four or five in storage and one in the bag just in case,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #9 on: August 30, 2023, 06:54:19 AM
One flashlight is all I need. The typical carry is an Olight I1R2-EOS. In the event of a power outage, I'll switch to a flashlight that runs on alkaline batteries.  For instances in which I need to keep both hands free, I'll break out the headlamp. But the headlamp is only used at home and in certain situations, so I don't consider it a carrier.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: August 30, 2023, 01:57:18 PM
Oh yeah, I totally forgot, the everyday hat actually has lights built into the brim, here’s an old pic, it doesn’t have all my patches yet but shows how it works,,
JR

* IMG_2184.jpg (Filesize: 102.08 KB)
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #11 on: August 30, 2023, 02:11:11 PM
Oh yeah, I totally forgot, the everyday hat actually has lights built into the brim, here’s an old pic, it doesn’t have all my patches yet but shows how it works,,
JR

Nice! I got a similar hat a few years ago. Very handy for camping when you arrive at your site a little late and the sun is going down fast.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: August 30, 2023, 02:36:40 PM
Nice! I got a similar hat a few years ago. Very handy for camping when you arrive at your site a little late and the sun is going down fast.
True that! Or when you go out for a walk around the block and that sun goes down, yeah there’s street lights but there’s also some large trees, and of course the sidewalks are perfect right, NOT, there’s always those few that are like 2-3in higher then the one next to it and you can do a face plant, lol..

The previous hat I had pins all over, bad idea, cause if you bump your head on anything those things hurt! So I ended up sewing Velcro all over the hat this way I could put patches all over it, thus if I bumped it I wouldn’t get stabbed! Lol.. I know I have a pic, I’ll have to find it..
JR

no Offline aicolainen

Reply #13 on: August 30, 2023, 04:05:05 PM
I answered 2-3.
In specific numbers I carry 2, 1 + a cellphone. And in my way of thinking it would have made sense to have a separate category for 2 as it seems like it's a more deliberate focus on redundancy to carry two dedicated light sources in addition to a cellphone, than just the one dedicated light.
To carry a cellphone light is something most of us have to do even if we want or not, and in my case it could just as well not be there, but I'm glad it's there.

EDC.. yet another term that mean different things to different people. My EDC is what I have in my pockets/on my person in the morning as I get ready for a normal day, and most days are work days. I might switch out some items after work hours or even during the workday if necessary, but that's outside the scope of this reply.

My primary EDC flashlight for several years now has been the FourSevens Preon PI Mk. III in titanium. It solved every issue I've had with previous lights and I haven't looked for another EDC light since. Carries unnoticeably in the bottom of my LFP, nice neutral tint, very well executed tail switch that never turns on accidentally and suitable output levels for my EDC needs.

On my person... huh, that actually leaves some room for interpretation as well :)  I do carry a Wurkkos HD20 in my (EDC) backpack that goes with my to the office or any other work site I have to be, every day. Maybe I carry three after all  :think:
Even though it serves many roles, I very rarely need it. It has both a magnetic tail cap and a head band, so it's a great work light if I have to work with my hands in the dark. It has a large 21700/5000mAh Li-ion cell that should be good for about 1200-1500 hrs on the lowest setting, so it's a nice backup light for whatever unpredictable light needs that may come along. And with its bi-directional USB-C I was able to relegate my old power bank to other duties and rely on this flashlight for my charging needs on the go as well.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 31, 2023, 01:41:04 AM
Here are my two today…

Nitecore MH10S primary & Olight i3EOS backup

* IMG_1612.jpg (Filesize: 137.44 KB)

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #15 on: August 31, 2023, 01:09:16 PM
aicolainen, nice kit!

Nate, lovin' the wear on that Olight! Looks like has been a good friend for a long time.

ca Offline buggs

Reply #16 on: September 03, 2023, 07:48:19 AM
Harder to answer than it seems.

Yes, I have my phone with me.  The light is useful, though not something I rely on.   

I always have a small light on my keychain.  It used to be an Olight, now it's a Fenix.  Truth be told in a year of carrying the Fenix they really weren't much different in performance. 

In the car I have a kit that has an Olight i5T and I really like it.  I like the I3 and I5 both, in T and R forms. 

Once I'm retired (about two years out) I expect I'll carry an I5 with me with the Leatherman Wave+ on the belt, something I can't currently do in the office. 

So if you count my plans in the future, it will be 4.  Lots of bigger lights at home of course that have greater utility in the moment, but not EDC.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #17 on: October 13, 2023, 10:26:29 PM
I would say usually 3

- 1 on the keychain - usually a Mateminco CSF-04
- 1 in the pocket - this varies the most depending on what I am doing, an HDS rotary, Reylight Pineapple mini, RovyVon Angel Eyes, Acebeam Rider
- 1 attached to backpack or sling - usually a Wuben G2 or X3 Owl

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD