Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wuben Lightok X3 Owl

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Wuben Lightok X3 Owl
on: November 15, 2023, 07:09:26 AM
I thought I’d share my thoughts on a nice versatile light that I have been enjoying - Wuben Lightok X3 Owl

This isn’t going to be a thorough review with testing claims, but more just my thoughts on it.

For me having a good flashlight readily available is right up there in importance with carrying a SAK or Multitool.  I’ve been carrying one for almost as long as I can remember.

Wuben is not a real popular flashlight brand, but I have heard good things about their lights for a few years.  It wasn’t until I saw an ad for the Owl that I decided to try one.

I was drawn to the Owl for its rotatable head and clip, but there are several “pros” for me that got me to actually purchase it
- Dual white and red lights
- the White light is Hi-Cri (good color rendering) and pretty neutral in color (not cool white like many are)
- IP65 waterproof rating
- the steel clip is nice and strong so it holds well even if attached to the outside of my bag
- magnetic base for hand free option.  Couple with the rotating head, you can get light at just about any angle
- Small screen that shows battery life and lumens

Even though I really like the light, there is one big con for me
- Recharging isn’t through usb-c alone.  You can charge wirelessly (magsaf), but if you do not do wireless then charging requires the proprietary box or base which you cannot purchase separately
- a smaller con is that the 700 turbo drops to 200 after just 30s.  I wish it was more like a minute.
- the rated impact resistance is only 1 meter, which isn’t great.  It may perform better but I prefer not to find out.
- Rather expensive to get with charge box.

I have one of these attached to my dog walking bag and another that goes between my sling and backpack.  It is convenient to use whether hands free or holding.  I really like the versatility.

The Charge box is nice if extra battery life is important like camping or emergencies, but a little bulky.  The charge base is about the size of a cr123 battery which is not that big, but not nearly as convenient as a built-in usb-c port would be. 

If you are interested in the actual manufacturer specifications, then here is a link to their site.  https://www.wubenlight.com/products/wuben-x3-best-edc-flashlight

One reason, I was drawn to do this post now is because I saw it on sale at Neal’s Gadgets for 35% off with coupon code “blackfriday” if anyone wants to try one.

se Offline RF52

Re: Wuben Lightok X3 Owl
Reply #1 on: November 15, 2023, 07:28:49 AM
Good little write-up of your thoughts :tu:
Have been looking at that light myself, but haven't getting around to bying one.
The rotating head seems useful :like:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #2 on: November 15, 2023, 09:51:43 AM
Good little write-up of your thoughts :tu:
Have been looking at that light myself, but haven't getting around to bying one.
The rotating head seems useful :like:
Thanks.  I mainly use the head either straight (like most flashlights when using in hand) or 90* attached to fanny bag when walking dog or backpack strap when walking.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: November 15, 2023, 11:15:45 AM
Thank you for the great writeup! :tu:  The swiveling head is definitely interesting, and the light is pretty feature rich.  Same hope about the charging, it'd be great if they do give option for type-c charging, but it will do really well if folks are already subscribed to wireless solutions.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: November 15, 2023, 03:11:57 PM
I just became aware of this light so your post is perfect timing.  Thank you. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sos24

Reply #5 on: November 25, 2023, 04:54:46 AM
Thank you for the great writeup! :tu:  The swiveling head is definitely interesting, and the light is pretty feature rich.  Same hope about the charging, it'd be great if they do give option for type-c charging, but it will do really well if folks are already subscribed to wireless solutions.
The charging is the biggest downfall and why I was hesitant at first.  As you mention if you already use wireless charging then it is not big deal. 

As mentioned, I like to carry one on my sling bag because of the handsfree option.  I carried a power-bank and cable for emergency charging of my phone and spare battery for flashlight.  Now I just cary a wireless power bank that is much bigger than the previous and have the ability to charge both.  It this case it is a win.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #6 on: November 25, 2023, 04:55:31 AM
I just became aware of this light so your post is perfect timing.  Thank you.
Glad I could help and hope you like.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD