Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Revived Sos Surprise Box GAW ( US edition ).

Aloha · 782 · 23391

us Online Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Revived Sos Surprise Box GAW ( US edition ).
Reply #660 on: November 12, 2023, 09:15:51 PM
Making a list of everything in the box and declaring a value for customs would require multiple sheets of paper and take several hours.  Nearly an impossible task.  The box contains mostly used items, some items that are new in their original packaging, and some items that are new but were removed from their packaging to save space.  The members who have added to the box have been exceptionally generous.  Someone needs to sign up for the box now.  If you want to give knives, tools, and accessories for gifts this year the surprise box could take care of all of your holiday shopping needs in one shot! :cheers:

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #661 on: November 12, 2023, 11:14:32 PM
    I don't like seeing Aztec get stuck with the box.  I might just sign up for one more try at the thing.  Give me a few days to think on it.  Best wishes.  G

us Online AzteCypher

Reply #662 on: November 13, 2023, 05:20:56 AM
No worries.  Putting it away was a good idea as I kept thinking of another cool item I could put in the box which would undo all the good work we've done so far.   :D

It has however given me time to repack it a bit better.  My OCD was kicking in unfortunately  :rofl:
May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surpise Box GAW!

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #663 on: November 13, 2023, 06:27:04 PM
Well, our friend Aztec doesn't seem to be bothered much.  I will just keep my peace and let someone else sign up that would enjoy playing the game.  Best wishes.  Gary
 :popcorn:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #664 on: November 14, 2023, 02:10:39 AM
He might just not seen it yet :dunno: :D either way, you should get in line again :tu:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #665 on: November 14, 2023, 02:38:55 AM
Go ahead Gary, put your name next on the list, you deserve the second crack at it, take your time and select items you can enjoy using or sharing with neighbors or friends.
At this pace you will not have any pressure to turn it around right away.

I thought about it, but,  I am pretty busy till end of the year. And not able to inspect it properly till January at the earliest.

Go for it Gary!!! :popcorn:
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #666 on: November 14, 2023, 03:05:55 AM
You people pressure the smurf out of everyone.  I always wanted to say smurf in a post.  Smurf, smurf, smurf, smurf, smurf, smurf, smurf, smurf, smurf, smurf, smurf, smurf, smurf, smurf.  Whew,  I think I got that out of my system.  I will decide tomorrow.  Best wishes.  G
 :whistle:

us Online AzteCypher

Reply #667 on: November 14, 2023, 03:19:21 AM
I tend to use the word duck at work.  Sometimes more than once in a day depending on the level of stress.    :-\

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #668 on: November 14, 2023, 04:16:12 AM
I think smurf is a MTo word.  I never heard it anywhere else.  Except in the little blue people cartoon.  Best wishes.  G
 :D

fr Offline Frenchephaistos

Reply #669 on: November 14, 2023, 09:07:55 AM
I wish samekind boxes would trip here in europe but i fear that postages would go pretty fast ridicilous prices ( cheapest packet to like Finland to Germany would cost 19.90€ and it doeant include warrant) also there might be customs even if sended inside europe, need to inform all products inside packet or it will be halted and need to pay hefty fines and worst case scenario lose items to state also.

Only Tools Matters
I would definitely be part of a European box, it did work on another forum a half a dozen of years ago. There are private companies that do very good prices (like, 5 euros), but only work in France, Benelux and Germany. Hopefully, one day, all of UE. But there isn't getting around having to inform the products. I'm sure most of the confiscated stuff ends up in someone's pocket though, don't know what the state would do with a box full of PSTs…  :D

fr Offline Frenchephaistos

Reply #670 on: November 14, 2023, 09:16:22 AM
I think smurf is a MTo word.  I never heard it anywhere else.  Except in the little blue people cartoon.  Best wishes.  G
Is this a good time to share our different versions of Smurfs ?
The french (and original) version is : Schtroumpfs ! which makes an even better expletive replacement IMHO.
What are they called in your own language ?

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #671 on: November 14, 2023, 01:38:35 PM
        Les Schtroumpfs does have a certain expressiveness.  The animated cartoon series used to be on American TV.  The Smurfs.  Papa Smurf.  Smurfette.  Baby Smurf.  Lots of worker apparently male smurfs.  Evil wizard Gargamel with an evil cat Azrael.  That's all I remember.  I haven't watched TV in about 10 years.  Maybe more.
      Sometimes a member here (usually a new one) will write a four-letter crass word in a post.  It is my understanding that it will be automatically edited to 'smurf'.  I don't know if that is true or not.  Best wishes.  Gary
 ;)

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #672 on: November 14, 2023, 01:56:31 PM
     I think I will decline the very kind advice to take the box again.  I really don't need any more stuff floating around my house. 
     When I got the box for the first (and only) time, I hoped to get a Leatherman.  My pal Lee (now deceased) ordered one of the first ones when he saw the article in Soldier of Fortune magazine.  He thought it was great.  I handled his Leatherman a little but that was all.  So, I decided that I would like to have one.  I got the Wingman out of the SoS box. 
     When I joined here, I had thoughts of getting something Alox (never seen or held one) or a 111mm of some sort.  I decided to buy some 111s from a member, but figured it would just be more stuff accumulating. 
      Friend Aztec doesn't seem desperate to rid himself of the box.  He has an out now with Poncho and a future connection with Looper.  No need for me to get between.  Best wishes. G
 :)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #673 on: November 15, 2023, 03:38:22 AM
I would only be holding it if he didn't want the responsibility  ;) It wouldn't be a regular getting od the box for me this time :cheers: you will be fine to take it :pok: :D

us Offline Sos24

Reply #674 on: November 15, 2023, 05:16:28 AM
    It's a lot of fun.  Not really possible to send it to Canada, let alone Europe.  Too many duties, restrictive laws about knives, etc.  Does anybody know the status of the Australian box?  Where is this thing?  We have lots of active Aussies here.  Seems like somebody should know.  Is this thing sitting on top of a windmill at a cattle station?  In the back of a ute? 
    Best wishes.  Gary
Exactly.  I thought about sending at least part to EU but between laws and VAT, it would probably end up more hassle and cost than worth.

I’m not sure what happened ro the Aussie/NZ box after a few members had a meet up.

us Online AzteCypher

Reply #675 on: November 15, 2023, 05:57:55 AM
Finally had time to take all the goodies out and re-wrap them in fresh bubble wrap and consolidate a few things.  I actually made more room in the box so now more stuff will fit in there.   :D
I don't mind being the custodian until the next person wants it.

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
Revived Sos Surprise Box GAW ( US edition ).
Reply #676 on: November 15, 2023, 10:36:12 AM
Exactly.  I thought about sending at least part to EU but between laws and VAT, it would probably end up more hassle and cost than worth.

I’m not sure what happened ro the Aussie/NZ box after a few members had a meet up.
Sadly laws here in EU is so diffrent in each country, some are loose and some really strict, thats why its sad that we cant have samekind box here and making samekind box even inside 1 country would be really fast rounded members, like here in Finland i know only 2 others members who are active in Mto.

Only Tools Matters

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #677 on: November 15, 2023, 11:34:55 AM
    I don't really have any business saying anything more about the surprise box, I suppose.  Gareth has the box in Aussie.  I sent a PM to Sherry about that.  As for the 3 or 4 Finnish members, I have an idea. 
    Why don't you fellows have a Christmas mini-surprise box.  Contact your other countrymen and make an agreement.  Each of you puts a couple of items into a package for shipment within Finland only.  A ships to B.  B ships his box to C.  C ships to A.  Let everybody have some fun.  Doesn't have to be multi-tools only.  Post some photos, so everyone here can see.   
    No reason it wouldn't work in somewhere like France or Germany just as well.  Lots of UK members here.  Keep it in the home country.  Good way to make friends.  If we can do it here, you can do it there just as well.
Best wishes.  Gary

« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 11:40:11 AM by IMR4198 »

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #678 on: November 15, 2023, 05:00:37 PM
It has been my impression that Gareth is in Scotland!

He shares his sword collection on occasion along with his EDC for the day, and understand laws in Oz is very stiff, and expect he would be enemy number one if he had long blades within his household.

Hope yours is as good!

de Offline tinker gnome

Reply #679 on: November 15, 2023, 05:31:22 PM
Referring to this thread https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,88259.180.html, the Oz box should be in possession of member "sea monster". His country flag shows scotland, though, so Gary probably had wrong memories here.  :dunno:
Best regards and stay safe,

Wolfgang

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #680 on: November 15, 2023, 09:38:51 PM
    Sea Monster is correct.   I know he uses a Scottish flag, but evidently he lives in Australia.  Valkie (NSW) spoke of Sea Monster driving down to pick up the box.  Confusing right?  Gareth is a different Scot.   
   I'm wrong about so many things, it doesn't bother me to be wrong again.   :P  Best wishes.  G
 :ahhh
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 11:23:00 PM by IMR4198 »

us Online Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #681 on: December 13, 2023, 01:49:07 AM
There's still time to get this in time for Christmas. :pok:  This is open to all MTO members.  Just state here in the forum that you want it and PM your mailing address to the last recipient.  Then be prepared to forward it to the next recipient. :cheers:

us Online AzteCypher

Reply #682 on: December 13, 2023, 04:19:57 AM
I'm just going to start buying large lots of cool SAK/knife stuff, restoring them, and dropping them in the box until someone speaks up.  :rofl:

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #683 on: December 13, 2023, 04:04:24 PM
 :rofl:

Step right on up.  Don't be shy.  Theres a lot of fun to be had for not a lot of money ( shipping ). 

:pok:
Esse Quam Videri

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #684 on: December 16, 2023, 10:27:06 PM
I am thinking about signing up for the Sos surprise box next.  Aztec is probably tired of looking at the thing.  It will have to be after Christmas day for a mail date.  Nobody wants to wait in line at the post office trying to ship something (or get something).  I will tell Aztec what I am thinking about and see if he agrees.  Best wishes.  Gary
 :)

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #685 on: December 16, 2023, 11:59:16 PM
Our friend Aztec and I have agreed on shipping.  No sense in putting a package in the Christmas rush.  If anything is going to go wrong, it will likely be then.  So, I suppose I will be next in line for the box.  This will be my second time.  I said I wouldn't do it twice, but I have a few things to put in there.  Might find something I like.  Best wishes.  G
 :popcorn:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #686 on: December 17, 2023, 12:48:55 AM
That is great news Gary !bre

IIRC, I have had the box stop at my location twice, and the 2nd visit I took my time reviewing the contents. 

Interesting stuff in the box.  Our fellow members that have stayed on the side lines have no idea what is passing by each time the box moves.   

Kinda reminds me of me turning my nose up at mom’s banana  bread, (I’m not a big fan of bananas back in my youth😉). Then one cold day, was shoveling the driveway,  came inside to warm up, mom had just taken a couple loaves from the oven, and set next to two more that came out prior.  My brother asked for a slice, mom sliced one, slathered it with butter and he started gobbling it down, and asked for a 2nd slice.  I thought, that looked mighty good and requested to try a slice too!  Mom looked perplexed and gave me one as well.
My first taste, well, was not my last.  And to imagine I had been passing up on this tasteful treasure for 15 years…

Hope yours is as good!

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #687 on: December 17, 2023, 02:07:50 AM
     Thanks Looper,
Anything to kill the boredom.  It is raining and cold here.  Probably be ice frozen on stuff tomorrow.  Anytime there is icy weather, the electricity goes off.  I will take my time with the box this go-around.  I got in a hurry last time, but it seemed like lots of people were waiting in line.  A different story now.  I sent PMs to several members about maybe taking the box.  The PMs went unanswered.  Their loss.  Unfortunately.  Best wishes.  G
 :whistle:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #688 on: December 17, 2023, 04:22:13 AM
Glad to see it on the move again :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :like:

us Online Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #689 on: December 17, 2023, 04:55:40 AM
I'm happy the box has been claimed.  I can tell you that at my post office it is pretty much business as usual.  I tend to use the self service kiosk so I'm usually in and out fairly quickly but the line for full service wasn't too long either considering the season.  A priority box is guaranteed to be delivered in 3 days regardless. :pok: :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
February Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: $183.42
PayPal Fees: $9.67
Net Balance: $173.75
Below Goal: $126.25
Site Currency: USD
58%