Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Poker Face Challenge - January 2023

comis · 931 · 14631

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Poker Face Challenge - January 2023
Reply #900 on: January 30, 2023, 09:41:14 AM

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #901 on: January 30, 2023, 09:50:09 AM
Day 29

So yesterday's picture probably would've been opening the mail. I got a phenomenal deal on this '43 Soldier in good condition. Never expected to be able to afford any kind of an 1890 variation, so I'm glad I snapped it up.

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  

Unfortunately, I wound up slicing my finger with it when I was cleaning and checking it. The blade got stuck, and even though I wrapped it just to be safe when I was levering it open, the blade sliced clean through a folded over towel and into my finger.

Show content

Made it through to the fat layer (which looked great oozing out!) but the physician's assistant who stitched me up said it doesn't look like it made it deep enough to damage any ligaments or anything.

It doesn't hurt too much today. We'll see in a week or when they remove them.

Congrats, that's an awesome find!
I've heart their snap is very strong  :ahhh

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #902 on: January 30, 2023, 09:52:45 AM
:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Glad to hear you’re fully recovered mate

:cheers:

:hatsoff:

Day 30

Having carried the Buck 113 these last two weeks it’s become a firm favourite, just feels totally right :like:

I did miss not having a SAK or MT (which I did have the first two weeks) but not as much as I thought I would

Many thanks to Nix and comis for running the challenge, it’s definitely a bit of fun as it was last time :hatsoff: :tu: :cheers:

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm so intrigued by by 113 now... thanks Echo and Nix  :twak:   :D

de Offline Shuya

Reply #903 on: January 30, 2023, 02:23:17 PM
Day 30.

The Final day.

Pioneer still is hiding somewhere, maybe the kids have taken it away?
So Farmer as worthy replacement on the last day for stupid data analyzing in home office.

Thanks Nix for this challenge.

Ive learned a few things.

First, I dont like fixed blades for edc. Having more than 25 already I should take this note seriously and dont buy even more.
In office, a fixed is too eye catching. At home in sweatpeants a fixed is awkward to carry. This has led me to a point where I didnt even have a blade on my body at all, leaving it in my bag or on the desk. Hard, naked times.

I dont really need a plier based MT on daily bases. Yes, they are handy, but I really missed it on maybe one or two days the whole month. Again, I should remind myself about that when I see another tool for sale, since I already have about 30...40 (dont really know).

A two layered SAK gets you through the day  in 90% of cases.
And boiled down, 80% is use of a single blade, 10-15% is what can be found on a small SAK, and 5-10% might be solved by a MT.

Thats what I figured out on several challenges and outside of them.

Sad truth, most of my knifes are overkill, or I dont need them.

I could toss most of my knifes and dont miss a thing.
Still like them and switch carry from day to day.

DSC_9751_1.jpg
* DSC_9751_1.jpg (Filesize: 177.19 KB)

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #904 on: January 30, 2023, 02:58:14 PM
Lovely old soldier :like:

Would be great to see it in May’s Vintage SAK challenge, along with all of you fine folk

Vintage SAK 30 day challenge May 2023 (SAK’s from 1986 and earlier)
 https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=11325&share_tid=90413&url=https%3A%2F%2Fforum%2Emultitool%2Eorg%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D90413&share_type=t&link_source=app

Hope you mend quickly BPR

Thanks. Definitely considering bringing it out once I have it cleaned up a bit. On the other hand, it's been a while since I carried a good ol' 91mm, and I have a few of those that'll make the cut off as well. We'll see.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #905 on: January 30, 2023, 08:46:59 PM
@ Shuya,

hope you'll find your Pioneer back !
I think lots of us have a couple of tools that we keep  for other reasons than edc carry  :D

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #906 on: January 30, 2023, 08:56:36 PM
Day 30

Today I took the little Dragonfly onto a hike...

...and used it to improve the drinking experience of a coffe on the way back...

Thanks again Nix and Comis for hosting the challenge and shuffling the decks  :hatsoff:
It was great fun to see how everyone was dealing with the given cards  :like:

PS:
Don't forget to request your badge if you don't have it already  :tu:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #907 on: January 30, 2023, 11:21:17 PM
Day 30
I used the (fake) Spyderco Civilian to ream out a pipe that I haven't used in a couple of years.

Thanks to comis and Nix for hosting this game.  My experience has been similar to what others already said.  I have enjoyed carrying knives and tools I don't usually carry, but in my case I did miss carrying a fixed blade knife.  I didn't have much need for a SAK or a pliers based MT this month and that was probably typical so I am reevaluating my EDC to lighten the load.  :cheers:

* Pokerface '23 30.jpg (Filesize: 128.59 KB)

us Online Sos24

Reply #908 on: January 30, 2023, 11:53:50 PM
Day 30.

The Final day.

So Farmer as worthy replacement on the last day for stupid data analyzing in home office.

First, I dont like fixed blades for edc. Having more than 25 already I should take this note seriously and dont buy even more.
In office, a fixed is too eye catching. At home in sweatpeants a fixed is awkward to carry. This has led me to a point where I didnt even have a blade on my body at all, leaving it in my bag or on the desk. Hard, naked times.

I dont really need a plier based MT on daily bases. Yes, they are handy, but I really missed it on maybe one or two days the whole month. Again, I should remind myself about that when I see another tool for sale, since I already have about 30...40 (dont really know).

And boiled down, 80% is use of a single blade, 10-15% is what can be found on a small SAK, and 5-10% might be solved by a MT.

I agree with you on almost everything.  A fixed blade knife can be convenient, but even if small, tends to attract unwanted attention, so I rarely carry one around town.  I too don’t usually need a plier-based multitool.

A SAK or traditional knife is sufficient for most daily tasks.  I will miss a tool now and then from another SAK or MT. 

I’ve realized frequently when I am missing a certain tool, it may not be because I cannot do the task with the tool I have  because I do not I have; rather it is that the other tool just does the task better, easier, or more efficiently.    I think this is a symptom of having experience with multiple different tools and developing favorites.  Two examples of this are the SAK magnifying glass and the Spirit chisel tool.  Even if I have a fresnel lens in my wallet, I frequently just reach for and want the SAK mag glass for certain tasks, which is why the Yeoman is my most carried SAK.  A small knife blade is sufficient for many of the tasks I use the chisel tool for, but if I have the Spirit I prefer it.

au Offline Echotech

Reply #909 on: January 30, 2023, 11:56:47 PM
Day 30

Thanks again Nix and Comis for hosting the challenge and shuffling the decks  :hatsoff:

PS:

That lake looks stunning lovely pic McS  :like: :hatsoff:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #910 on: January 31, 2023, 12:18:34 AM
 :cheers:  Echo

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #911 on: January 31, 2023, 03:09:13 AM
Day 30

Echoing what everyone else said. A small SAK is the most efficient EDC for me. Fixie times were pretty rough, although I did enjoy giving them a try, and found out that less is more.

The surprise winner for me this month were the stockmans. Both of them handled my day to day chores a lot better than I expected. The small serrated blades, in particular, were real workhorses.

I also loved carrying the civvi TL-29. I'm going to pick up one of the 3 blade variants with a hawkbill and give it a whirl.

Today's pic is the handoff for our next challenge. I'll be carrying my daughter's BYSAK for the semi-serrated challenge. Hope to see some of you over there!

handoff.jpg
* handoff.jpg (Filesize: 139.92 KB)

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #912 on: January 31, 2023, 05:12:34 AM
Orange Farmer.
Beautiful!

:like:

A fixed blade knife can be convenient, but even if small, tends to attract unwanted attention, so I rarely carry one around town.
Understood. I didn't get a chance to carry mine around town, but I probably would have if I wasn't going to the Post Office. My solution? Move to the sticks. :D

Day 30

I'm ending the challenge the way I started it: with a group shot.

Poker Face Challenge 2023 Day 30.jpg
* Poker Face Challenge 2023 Day 30.jpg (Filesize: 122.98 KB)

The Freestyle's pliers didn't see as much use as I would have liked, but it would definitely combine well with most any SAK. The half hawk was a lot of fun to carry. Of course, any SAK is great provided it suits one's needs. And the Izula II very quickly became one of my very favorite fixed blades. It'll be around my neck for quite a while.

Thanks to comis and Nix for hosting the challenge and dealing the cards, and to awl participants for making it a whole lot of fun! :cheers:
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #913 on: January 31, 2023, 05:39:37 AM
Day 30 (Milk Duds Round):

I enjoyed reading everyone's write ups. Of course, I did carry a fixie today, although it didn't see any uses. Still, I find a small fixie so easy and convenient, that I doubt I'll be broken of the habit any time soon.
Thanks to everyone who participated and shared thoughts and observations along the way. I found this round of the challenge to be as much fun as the last, but maybe because I ended up with better cards and more tools to play with....  :rofl:
A special thanks to comis for setting up the challenge and getting the cards going once again. It was a fun one, buddy!   :tu:

us Online Sos24

Reply #914 on: January 31, 2023, 06:06:32 AM
Day 30
Eureka Jack opened and cut some cheese for a tasty snack.

au Offline Echotech

Reply #915 on: January 31, 2023, 07:22:18 AM
Yum :drool:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #916 on: January 31, 2023, 08:27:55 AM
First two badges awarded  :salute:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #917 on: January 31, 2023, 09:09:51 AM
Day 28

Busy day, including a trip to the urgent clinic (so much faster than the ER) for stiches. Nothing too serious,  thankfully. Opened the mail with the CRKT, but didn't grab a pic, so I snapped a quick glam shot of the Opinel.   [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  
Glad to hear that, the Irishman does know his stitches... ;)

Day 30

Having carried the Buck 113 these last two weeks it’s become a firm favourite, just feels totally right :like:

I did miss not having a SAK or MT (which I did have the first two weeks) but not as much as I thought I would

Many thanks to Nix and comis for running the challenge, it’s definitely a bit of fun as it was last time :hatsoff: :tu: :cheers:

Cool shot, and thank you for joining the challenge! :cheers:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #918 on: January 31, 2023, 09:14:11 AM
Day 30.

The Final day.

Nice wrap up, kinda reminded how one of our meme er, Jacknife, started his downsizing journey from a knife enthusiast to a minimalist.  I think now a days, a classic or a 75mm executive, is his main daily carry.

Day 30

PS:
Such nice scenic perfect for a wrap, great to have you on board!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #919 on: January 31, 2023, 09:19:28 AM
Day 30
I used the (fake) Spyderco Civilian to ream out a pipe that I haven't used in a couple of years.

Thanks to comis and Nix for hosting this game.  My experience has been similar to what others already said.  I have enjoyed carrying knives and tools I don't usually carry, but in my case I did miss carrying a fixed blade knife.  I didn't have much need for a SAK or a pliers based MT this month and that was probably typical so I am reevaluating my EDC to lighten the load.  :cheers:
It is interesting to see on one end we have our members favoring the minimalist approach, while on the other end some of us choose to be more prepared with heavier tools option.  In the end, it boils down to different life styles and choices, and thru challenges like this, it is fun to take a glimpse of our members' adventure and tool uses.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #920 on: January 31, 2023, 09:21:27 AM
Day 30 (Milk Duds Round):

I enjoyed reading everyone's write ups. Of course, I did carry a fixie today, although it didn't see any uses. Still, I find a small fixie so easy and convenient, that I doubt I'll be broken of the habit any time soon.
Thanks to everyone who participated and shared thoughts and observations along the way. I found this round of the challenge to be as much fun as the last, but maybe because I ended up with better cards and more tools to play with....  :rofl:
A special thanks to comis for setting up the challenge and getting the cards going once again. It was a fun one, buddy!   :tu:

Pleasure is all mine, and can't think of a better group of members to cross the finish line with.  Thank you for co-hosting, and may everyone have an awesome week ahead of you!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #921 on: January 31, 2023, 09:25:18 AM
Day 29 (make up)

Late night, MX cuts open a new bag of snack while watching a new Netflix game called physical 100.  Basically is the good old Gladiator cross over with the Korean drame called Squid Game.

* 20230126_034327_copy_1000x750.jpg (Filesize: 162.44 KB)

au Offline Echotech

Reply #922 on: January 31, 2023, 09:33:32 AM
Day 29 (make up)

Late night, MX cuts open a new bag of snack while watching a new Netflix game called physical 100.  Basically is the good old Gladiator cross over with the Korean drame called Squid Game.
I’ve been watching Physical 100 too, that’s a perfect description …looking forward to ep 3

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #923 on: January 31, 2023, 09:40:50 AM
Day 30

MX getting some TLC while finishing up with the challenge.

Wrap up: Thank you so much to my co-host Nix, and all of you whom have participated in the challenge, it's always funto host an interesting challenge as such, and the card game element does bring in element of surprise with a twist.

As posted earlier, I need to move away from home temporarily and that in itself was a big challenge for myself and the family.  And as some of you well said, in the end, it all boils down to the love and safety of those we care, and I am glad to report back situation has been improving steadily since then.

During this challenge time, I am just so glad to be able to logon to our forum here, and to see all of us thriving and living out our lives, and that does give me a sense of joy and stability that is soothing.  I just wish I could have more time on hand, and be a little more attentive or interactive as a host, but that I might have to remedy in the future.

Always proud to call this place home, and I am looking forward to see you out on forum or cross posts in next challenge! :cheers: :hatsoff:

* 20230130_015838_copy_1000x750.jpg (Filesize: 89.65 KB)

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #924 on: January 31, 2023, 02:10:42 PM
Such nice scenic perfect for a wrap, great to have you on board!

:hatsoff:

Good luck and best wishes for your temporary relocation  :salute:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #925 on: January 31, 2023, 07:32:41 PM
I watched the first two episodes of Physical 100, too. 
Some crazy stuff so far. I'm kinda rooting for Agent H.....  :rofl:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #926 on: January 31, 2023, 11:36:38 PM
Thanks again comis and Nix.  Congratulations to whoever got their new badges.  If comis doesn't already have your address make sure you send it to him if you want the refrigerator magnet.  comis has made some excellent magnets for previous challenges and I'm looking forward to getting another.

* too many magnets.jpg (Filesize: 49.8 KB)

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #927 on: January 31, 2023, 11:44:32 PM
:rofl:

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #928 on: February 01, 2023, 12:13:32 AM
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

de Offline Shuya

Reply #929 on: February 01, 2023, 07:08:49 AM
Nice wrap up, kinda reminded how one of our meme er, Jacknife, started his downsizing journey from a knife enthusiast to a minimalist.  I think now a days, a classic or a 75mm executive, is his main daily carry.

As far as I know he is a Peanut guy now.
We will see.  :hatsoff:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD