Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My New Toy!!

Offline mikekoz

My New Toy!!
on: November 09, 2022, 01:07:49 AM
     As you all can see, this is another Wave inspired tool, like the Walmart Multiforce, but this one has a few differences I have not seen in the others. This is made by Swiss Tech and as you can see looking at the nice box it came in, they seem to want this to be able to be sold to the masses. Maybe it has no impact on the quality of the tool, but as far as marketing goes, its presentation is important! The other multitools I have bought like this came in plain brown boxes. Another thing you can see that is different is the type of sheath that comes with it. It is leather instead of the usual nylon that comes with most of these budget tools. The most striking difference, however, is the handles or scales on this thing! They are a very coarse steel and allow for a good grip on the tool. I have never seen this type of scales on any of my tools or knives! As far as the toolset goes, the larger outside ones are the usual suspects. This model does not have the 1/4 inch driver the others have, instead, it has a 3D phillips and a small phillips that  folds up against the larger one when not in use. The other different tool here is the line cutter with the small flat driver. It also is a package opener.  The knife blade is AUS-8 according to the box. This one cost me a bit more ($50.00) and I was hesitant to put that much into it. I have only purchased one tool with this brand name on it over the years that was good quality. Time will tell if I made a good choice! What do you all think?

ST1" border="0
ST2" border="0
st3" border="0
st4" border="0

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: My New Toy!!
Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 03:14:19 AM
Looks very interesting, Mike  :like:

Did you find it on Amazon or Aliexpress?

Offline mikekoz

Reply #2 on: November 09, 2022, 04:40:59 AM
   I actually got it on Walmart.com!  :climber:

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 06:38:59 AM
Very interesting indeed! The textured handles seems like a great idea :tu:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #4 on: November 10, 2022, 09:16:23 AM
Love the handles! :like:
And I bet that Phillips accepts the bit adapter as well. :woohoo:

Offline mikekoz

Reply #5 on: November 10, 2022, 10:12:30 AM
Love the handles! :like:
And I bet that Phillips accepts the bit adapter as well. :woohoo:

Actually, the bit adapter, at least the ones I have, do not work. The driver on the tool is a little bit too big.  :( 

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #6 on: November 10, 2022, 03:18:22 PM
         Actually, the bit adapter, at least the ones I have, do not work. The driver on the tool is a little bit too big. :(

Is it time to fire up a grinder ?    :pok:   ;)
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #7 on: January 07, 2023, 04:55:01 AM
How is the overall quality Mikekoz???

I was thinking of buying one of those Swiss+tech wave clones when they were the normal stainless steel look.  I think I might like this one better.  Do the tools lock up well?  Does it feel like garbage?

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #8 on: January 07, 2023, 04:59:44 AM
Does the file have teeth on the edge or just the two sides???

Offline mikekoz

Reply #9 on: January 07, 2023, 08:09:05 PM
It feels great in hand and definitely does not feel cheap. I would put it a step above most of the other Wave inspired tools I am collecting, but I do wish it had the 1/4 driver. The way they folded the small Phillips on the larger one is pretty original though! The file is three sides and seems of good quality, but it does not have the diamond file. Both blades seem pretty sharp out of the box. Some of the tools are a bit tight and need either adjusting, oiling, or breaking in with use. The leather case is another thing they included with this and I have rarely bought an off brand multitool that came with one like this. Is it worth $50.00? Maybe not, but it is different, and it looks like it is a Walmart exclusive. They sell another one under the SwissTech name that looks like a black oxide SOG  Q4 Baton and I purchased that one also! Walmart has a good return policy if you do not like it also! I would buy the model with the plain stainless scales, but cannot find a US source for it.

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #10 on: January 08, 2023, 01:28:06 AM
 :hatsoff:

Thanks Mikeoz 

I just ordered one. 

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #11 on: January 10, 2023, 07:12:56 AM
I was hoping to post an excited comment about getting my MT a day early. 

I still hope that after returning mine and getting a replacement I can leave a much happier updated comment of that sort.

But alas...

My Swiss+Tech MT arrived today.  Wonderful packaging.  Everything was much nicer than I expected.  Until I pulled it out and tried to use it.  The Plier head appears to have some kind of rust or corrosive build up all over the joint.  I couldn't even get the jaws to open until I threaded two strands of paracord through the jaws and pulled them apart as hard as I could.  Not sure if you can see it in the pictures or not.
 :rant:
 :facepalm:                   :'(

I am very disappointed.  (at least for now)

* 20230109_191304_copy_635x846.jpg (Filesize: 78.85 KB)

* 20230109_191206_copy_635x846.jpg (Filesize: 87.83 KB)

* 20230109_191130_copy_635x846.jpg (Filesize: 82.5 KB)

* 20230109_191101_copy_635x846.jpg (Filesize: 78.95 KB)

Offline mikekoz

Reply #12 on: January 10, 2023, 10:14:17 AM
Wow! Hard to tell what that is! Does the rest of the tool look used? Maybe they accidently sent you one that had been used and returned by somebody. Have you tried putting WD40 on it to see if that removes the stuff? Probably just best to get Walmart to send you another one though. Keep us posted when you get a good one. I would love to hear your opinion of this tool!

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #13 on: January 10, 2023, 10:18:38 AM
That's not good.  I sure hope that is an anomaly and not the norm.

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #14 on: January 11, 2023, 06:25:52 AM
I sent it back today.  They should be sending another soon.  I hope. 

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #15 on: January 15, 2023, 02:46:53 AM
OK

Got my replacement in the mail today!  It's much better than the last one.  No rust or corrosion.  Pliers work fine.  the 4 outside tools are a little stiff but I'm sure they will get better with use. 

I think it's my favorite Wave clone.  I used to love Swiss+tech when they were first starting out.  The first 3 tools I bought from them were fantastic.  Then their quality went WAY down over the years.  I'm glad to see that this one is another step in the right direction. 

My favorite part is the large and small (#2 & #0?) phillips drivers.  A design they used to use on their old Micro 8 in 1 keychain tool!
 :ahhh      :like:

My "otherwise" is now a "cheerful".

Thanks again for the heads up Mikeoz 

Offline mikekoz

Reply #16 on: January 15, 2023, 02:32:58 PM
Glad to hear your replacement was a good one! I have never been impressed with the SwissTech tools up until I bought one last year from Amazon. It was a plierless tool something like the Gerber Armbar, but better in many ways. After I bought this tool, I also bought one of their pocket knives. Also from Walmart, this one has G10 scales, is a good EDC size, and opens smooth as silk! The last one I bought was the other multitool they have on Walmart.com that looks like a SOG  Baton Q4. I have not used it, but it seems like a good quality tool!

us Offline Old Happy Tiger

Reply #17 on: April 08, 2023, 01:36:11 PM
OK

Got my replacement in the mail today!  It's much better than the last one.  No rust or corrosion.  Pliers work fine.  the 4 outside tools are a little stiff but I'm sure they will get better with use. 

I think it's my favorite Wave clone.  I used to love Swiss+tech when they were first starting out.  The first 3 tools I bought from them were fantastic.  Then their quality went WAY down over the years.  I'm glad to see that this one is another step in the right direction. 

My favorite part is the large and small (#2 & #0?) phillips drivers.  A design they used to use on their old Micro 8 in 1 keychain tool!
 :ahhh      :like:

My "otherwise" is now a "cheerful".

Thanks again for the heads up Mikeoz

I'm glad the replacement you got is better.

Some tips...
One thing that I have done for many years, is soak new inexpensive multi tools in warm water with some dawn dish soap as a degreaser, then rinse it off under tap water. Dry it really well and use a can of compressed air to get all the water out of all pivot points and inside the handle. THEN I use some gun oil (Ballistol oil, and is actually muti purpose, even for knives) in the pivot points for the tools and also in the pliers section and pivot parts. I do this once a year with all of them, never had problem. Some times I'll keep the tupper ware that comes with some food like coldcuts (meat) or those deep plastic tray from microwaveable dinners, clean them out afterwards in the sink then use those for soaking and clean my multi tools and knives with. It also helps to catch oil when I'm spraying them for protection. 
"One day as a tiger is worth a thousand as a sheep."

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD