Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

100th Anniversary of the Halifax Explosion

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
100th Anniversary of the Halifax Explosion
on: November 19, 2022, 03:09:48 PM
It's been almost 100 years since a shipping accident caused the largest non nuclear, man made explosion occurred in Halifax, wiping away a good portion of my city, including the neighborhood I live in.

The city of Boston, Massachusetts sent a lot of aid at the time to help survivors, and, since getting back on our feet, the city of Halifax has selected the finest tree in the province to send to Boston for display in the middle of the city for Christmas.

Today I managed to spot the tree before it begins its journey down the coast and I thought I'd share with all of you!

Def

* 16688667543100.jpg (Filesize: 177.29 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: 100th Anniversary of the Halifax Explosion
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 03:25:04 PM
 :cheers: Def!  That's a big, beautiful tree!
Barry

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2022, 03:44:14 PM
I have never heard of this accident, even though the ship it collided with was Norwegian. I looked it up on Wikipedia, nearly 2000 deaths and about 9000 injured. Shocking numbers and a real tragedy.

It is a very nice symbol of gratitude to give a tree to those who helped, our government has done the same after WWII. Very cool that you got to see it depart :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: November 19, 2022, 04:44:27 PM
 :salute: 
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: November 19, 2022, 05:44:40 PM
Well it looks like I got it wrong....

It may be 100 years of the tree.  There was a sign at the back of the trailer that said 100 years may be 100 years of trees or it may have been an old sign. 

2017 was the hundred anniversary of the Explosion.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: November 19, 2022, 05:50:44 PM
I have never heard of this accident, even though the ship it collided with was Norwegian. I looked it up on Wikipedia, nearly 2000 deaths and about 9000 injured. Shocking numbers and a real tragedy.

It is a very nice symbol of gratitude to give a tree to those who helped, our government has done the same after WWII. Very cool that you got to see it depart :cheers:

The Halifax Explosion was a terrible incident.  The ships collided and were burning, but there was no way in those days to warn large amounts of people, and so many people were watching the ships burn from their windows.  When the ship exploded it shattered windows for miles.  People further away were blinded by the flash.

Many of the early advancements in eye care and treatment were a direct result of the Halifax Explosion.

The National Film Board of Canada produced a lot of vignettes years ago that would play on TV between shows, and there is a very good one about the Halifax Explosion.

Def

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #6 on: November 20, 2022, 07:40:31 AM
I was awlso unfamiliar with that very tragic incident. From Wikipedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion

Cool to see the tree on its route, and very appropriately being pulled by a Canadian tractor! :tu:
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 12:55:28 PM
There are various spots around the city where there are very out of place things.  For example, one neighborhood on the other side of the Harbour from me has what's left of a cannon.  This is just where it.  Another spot on my side of the water has a fragment of an anchor and it's quite far inland.

Here is where the gun is:

Mont Blanc Gun
https://maps.app.goo.gl/4FHHiyFMw1TG9RUA7

And here is where the anchor is:
Mont-Blanc Anchor Site
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Yrb7B7qK4rbvve7n9

Scary when you think of how far that anchor was sent!  For those keeping track, that's about 2.5 miles from the blast site.

Def
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 01:32:47 PM by Grant Lamontagne »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 01:29:33 PM
The Explosion happened in The Narrows, near Pier 9.

Pier 9
https://maps.app.goo.gl/RC8xenD4fPBFTWXT8

And for reference, this is my house:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/MZbT9SzUdWivTHnx8

At the time of the Halifax Explosion this area was a large field for gathering livestock, and the park next to me was a quarry for the prison that was right above it.  The prison survived without significant damage, but if you look at maps from before the explosion until now, even the streets are in different places.  Imagine how devastating an explosion has to be to even remove any indication of where the streets used to be.    :ahhh

Def

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 23, 2022, 12:32:46 AM
I watch a documentary about the explosion On Amazon I believe. I think it was the largest non nuclear explosion for some time. Down here in Texas they had the Texas City explosion on the gulf down by Houston in the 50's . Boat caught ablaze with fertilizer and blew Texas City off the map.

That anchor flying that far.  :o :o
:like:    :MTO:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69