Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Off-White

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Off-White
on: November 18, 2022, 11:32:11 AM
Had to double-check my calendar to see if it is not April 1st :facepalm:

Like the can-opener, looks a bit like a dog. But honestly, I feel like Victorinox is mocking me. Instead of evolving their tools (locking tools, new tools, like a large scissor a la Wenger Business Tool, or even new steel for the blade), they bring us an "art piece". I don't mind collectors pieces, the brilliant collection is fine, the heritage piece is fine. But for this, they had to change tooling, they had to design it, so you can access all tools... they put effort into this :dunno:
Honestly, not the direction I was hoping Victorinox would go.

https://www.victorinox.com/ch/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Medium-Pocket-Knives/Off-White%E2%84%A2-c-o-Victorinox/p/1.3611.OW?utm_source=Klaviyo%20campaign&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NL%2020221118%20-%20Off%20White%20Collab%20-%20DE&_kx=q0tPp81OeiqhJ_akm4LSHlwLB8mTS-jD2zJpAMBQxY8%3D.HqJQFj

* SAK_1-3611-OW_S1.jpg (Filesize: 25.06 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Off-White
Reply #1 on: November 18, 2022, 11:49:39 AM
 :dunno:

I’m a bit lost for words tbh…..they can give us this which would’ve required a lot of new tooling but can’t give us 84mm scissors  :ahhh

It’s kinda hideous and kinda artfully clever, doesn’t look like it was meant for use, purely for collecting, which has its place. I’ve very mixed feelings, it’s definitely a talking point

sd Offline Andetto

• Am old school, I still believe in respect.
Reply #2 on: November 18, 2022, 12:13:12 PM
Hello
I think it's only a collector's item. I mean it should be.
https://www.wallpaper.com/fashion-beauty/off-white-victorinox-virgil-ablog-collaboration
Regards
Andetto

gb Offline Cakemonster

Reply #3 on: November 18, 2022, 12:32:18 PM
Dear Victorinox, just because you can, doesn't mean you should...

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 18, 2022, 12:38:01 PM
Dear Victorinox, just because you can, doesn't mean you should...
:rofl: :popcorn:

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #5 on: November 18, 2022, 12:57:17 PM
I love it, I hate it, I won’t be buying it but I will admire it from afar. I’ll just piggyback the comments about all the extensive retooling for a one off model when that could have gone into tool development and evolution for the more frequent users. There have been some whispers about new tools on production models so if they appear that will soften the blow somewhat of course.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #6 on: November 18, 2022, 02:04:44 PM
 :facepalm:
Barry

gb Offline Cakemonster

Reply #7 on: November 18, 2022, 02:12:10 PM
I have tried (really tried) to read and re-read the page on the Victorinox website about this 'item' and I know I'm not the most highly educated, but I don't understand...

Takes me back to all the management speak I had to endure at work. Maybe someone put it in their ideas microwave but only on defrost, not full power...

cz Offline z1913

Reply #8 on: November 18, 2022, 03:03:47 PM
I have tried (really tried) to read and re-read ...

I have tried as well... and I don't like it.

I don't see it as a piece of art. And I do not see it as a good/interesting design neither - e.g. an awl which can't be used as and awl. It is an antithesis to what victorinox knife is (excellent, beatiful everyday object) and it is as well contradictory to what they try to explain in their descritption - "fuctionally flawless", "knife transforms humankind’s earliest tool into a contemporary multitool"...

I hope it is not a future of Victorinox.
Current SAKs:
58mm - Rambler, Alox Minichamp, SwissLite
84mm - Waiter, Alox Bantam, Excelsior, Tourist
91mm - Cybertool M, Swisschamp, Compact
93mm - Harvester
111mm - Forester Wood, Tradesman
other - Baker's, Floral

gb Offline Cakemonster

Reply #9 on: November 18, 2022, 03:11:05 PM
I have tried as well... and I don't like it.

I don't see it as a piece of art. And I do not see it as a good/interesting design neither - e.g. an awl which can't be used as and awl. It is an antithesis to what victorinox knife is (excellent, beatiful everyday object) and it is as well contradictory to what they try to explain in their descritption - "fuctionally flawless", "knife transforms humankind’s earliest tool into a contemporary multitool"...

I hope it is not a future of Victorinox.

Spot on, spot on.

us Online cody6268

Reply #10 on: November 18, 2022, 03:13:31 PM
One word--OUCHI!  Wenger Packlocks are a Swiza in terms of ergonomics compared to these things.

I've had a long list of new tools that should've been brought about:

Delemont Collection Pocket Toolchest (this isn't even a new model, it's reviving one for which tooling already exists in the old Wenger factory)
New 84mm scissor line (as I'm getting tired of risking losing my 84mm Craftsman and Cellidor Voyageur)
84mm metal file
93mm and smaller OHO
58mm serrated blade
Strap cutter on all models
More use of the 91mm pruner and electrician blades
Alox 91mm

And these are practical and would sell well. Yet uh, this thing?!!!  The design of the tools prevents it from being a usable tool. The scales look like the side of a cow.

I have three display SAKs--a Bijou/Companion with horn handles, the 700th Anniversary of the Swiss Confederation Huntsman, and a 1942 Soldier. All of these are basically standard models that are perfectly usable.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 03:18:41 PM by cody6268 »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: November 18, 2022, 04:07:05 PM
I've had a long list of new tools that should've been brought about:
I have some too...

First off, it is time that we get 91mm where the can opener is gone. Seriously, not every model needs a can opener! Maybe drop the small blade on some models. Maybe drop both blades.

(Existing) tools to add to the 91mm line to freshen up the boring opener/blade layers
- Nail File a la Cadet
- In line awl similar to the 93mm line
- Watch case pry-blade (yeah, bring that back)
- Electrician blade.

Tools from Wenger
- Cutting wheel (yeah I freaking love that one. Imagine a slingshot model :D)
- scissors from the Business Tool (the tool itself is chunky and not that useful, but the scissors are great)

Other
- rework the 91mm pliers (e.g. with a long plastic needle nose for electronics)
- rework the 91mm pliers into side-cutters (so you can easily cut zip-ties in hard to reach places).
- Maybe a dedicated prybar (if you fold it over the frame like the 93mm awl you could get some decent leverage).
- locking tools (why not make half a Spirit. I know LM got a lot of flake for this, but the idea is sound).
- oho tools

Spirit
- a smaller Spirit
- bladeless Spirit
- Spirit with better scissors
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: November 18, 2022, 04:46:16 PM
Now we know for certain they can but choose not to for whatever reason.  Apply that to whatever we've wanted for years.  84mm scissor, inline awls, file instead of small blade on 91mm and anything Ether listed.

Expensive tooling HA! 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #13 on: November 18, 2022, 05:41:04 PM
I got the email this morning and thought that it was certainly a joke.

I'm really not sure what to think about this, at all.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

Offline rvlulu

Reply #14 on: November 18, 2022, 05:51:57 PM
Had to double-check my calendar to see if it is not April 1st :

Me too. :o

us Offline Wire Edge

Reply #15 on: November 18, 2022, 05:54:48 PM
It’s a $500 Camper.  I’m an avid collector/enthusiast, but can’t get behind this one. 

00 Offline Grand_Banana

Reply #16 on: November 18, 2022, 07:12:54 PM
I was hoping someone would start a thread by the time I got on the forum today. Reddit is also up in arms. Come on Vic  :twak:

Never a better use of this:  :facepalm:

Couldn’t agree more with all the tooling comments… if only victorinox knew how much I would spend on 84mm models with scissors, electrician blade, file. Or, an electrician X , or etc. I missed out on many of the so called “unpopular” or poor selling models with these features or limited releases in past decades.

This community alone would turn a profit for them on some rereleases. Pay attention Vic  :pok:

Offline fabregas485

Reply #17 on: November 18, 2022, 07:15:30 PM
I saw this in the store and totally missed the tools being an odd shape. I was wondering who came up with that scale design.

Not my cup of tea.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #18 on: November 18, 2022, 08:23:02 PM
I can appreciate it as a quirky novelty - quite like it in fact. However, it’s not really SAK is it? It not usable really and will it even appeal to SAK collectors? I’m not sure what market it’s going to please.

I get that Vic don’t put scissors on their 84mm because they have them on the 85mm Delamonts…but they are rubbish (my opinion only  :whistle: )

I don’t think the recent (post Vic aquisition) Delamonts have the same quirky appeal that the old Wengers had so you can guess where I am going with this. Get rid of the Delamont range and put all the good stuff back on the 84 Vics!

Don’t get me wrong I have a PTC and a Wenger soldier that I rank among my favourite knives but it’s probably going to be a small Proportion of people that would take an Evo over a classic red Vic SAK surely?

For my 4 peneth worth I would snap up a Vic ‘SuperExplorer’ with a compass in the scales a la the timekeeper!

Offline Enginears

Reply #19 on: November 18, 2022, 08:34:39 PM
I am relatively new to sak obsession, but it feels like the message behind this and 1897 replica is rather a sad one in the grand scheme. Fairly expensive collectors pieces offered while innovation and certain aspects of quality wither on the vine. Not to downplay collectors at all, I am more saying when those are the only big news it is depressing for us peons who want new tools and combinations to buy/use.

I can’t wrap my head around how cheap the new magnifying glass housing feels, let alone ever thinking it was acceptable to move to an all plastic piece that scratches significantly easier than glass.     

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: November 18, 2022, 08:48:13 PM
I have tried (really tried) to read and re-read the page on the Victorinox website about this 'item' and I know I'm not the most highly educated, but I don't understand...

Takes me back to all the management speak I had to endure at work. Maybe someone put it in their ideas microwave but only on defrost, not full power...

Glad I'm not the only one  :D

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #21 on: November 18, 2022, 10:43:39 PM
Just read the blurb now. Oh my!  :think:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #22 on: November 18, 2022, 11:20:29 PM
Had to double-check my calendar to see if it is not April 1st :facepalm:

Literally the same joke I made with Reinier on FB. :D

They can't make 84mm scissors but they can do THIS? . facepalm:

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #23 on: November 18, 2022, 11:25:39 PM
With all tools closed it resembles a little bit the skyline of some Swiss mountains. The sad thing is, that it wasn't supposed to be.
However, if we look at this knife as some work of art, it makes sense. Probably it's an artistic experssion of something nobody understands. That's also why Vic's description of the knife is so fuzzy. I guess the description was made by a high ranking manager after smoking some synthetic chemicals.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: November 19, 2022, 12:34:41 AM
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #25 on: November 19, 2022, 12:38:13 AM
I'm waffling back and forth on this one.
I have a feeling it's going to be one of those I pass on buying and regret it down the road when they're $1,500+ on eBay because they're all sold out.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Online cody6268

Reply #26 on: November 19, 2022, 12:40:34 AM
$500 and you don't even get the toothpick and tweezers.

us Offline Intorikata

Reply #27 on: November 19, 2022, 01:33:08 AM
What was that weird square classic variant that was a partnership with some designer?

ch Offline jaydar

Reply #28 on: November 19, 2022, 02:09:16 AM
I am not sure it’s for us …… I was in the London store today (did not even know they had opened one I was on my way to the Wallace Collection….. if your in London well worth a visit).

Two of the people buying the knife I spoke to neither were collectors but  they knew the designer….. I have never heard of him and he has sadly passed away …… but he was apparently an ‘important’ designer not my cup of tea but each to their own.

Is it practical…. Well it’s ok quite like the hump on the main blade bit like the 111mm soldier …. With the main blade open it is perfectly usable ….. the scale material I am sure will last for ever (if they are ever put to the test)

I can’t blame victorinox for doing a collaboration with this designer….. I would imagine they will sell through his company and the people shopping there can choose between this knife or half a hooded top.

I think this is just a contract job that they took on it’s not a new company direction  and I don’t think it’s intended for knife collectors so I am not at all worried or that interested in this anomaly.

Did I buy one ……….. that would be crazy ……😊

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #29 on: November 19, 2022, 03:14:12 AM
If you look at some of the collaborations that have been done in the past - Victorinox have come up with some wonderful pieces that are very clearly  SAKS, but also fabulous pieces of art.

For instance: The Kantonsmesser Series The marquetry on the scales of these models is truly exquisite, and the blade etching is beautiful, especially when they went right through the blade. This series also has meaning – celebrating the great Swiss Federation and its cantons. Yes these were expensive, but they were unique, the craftsmanship was fabulous and they were worth it 

Likewise the Battle Series, beautiful SAKs with stunning scale design and etching and once again meaningful designs about the history of Switzerland.

I also loved the annual design competition for the 58mms –  :D   But maybe that idea ran its course   :(

Vic also collaborated with a celebrated fashion designer on the Horseshoe Nail Knife.
This was a great initiative – A practical usable SAK, with totally unique scales and a strong recycling message – Brilliant

I know a lot of people did not like the Tomo – But to me this was another great initiative – A totally new take on a classic ( :rofl:) design. The one mistake they made, given this model is mainly for grooming was not including the T&T.   :twak:  I am sure Mr. Yamaguchi-san did not want his lovely straight lines messed up. However, T&T in matching colours* to the scales would have made this a very appealing model and bumped up the sales –
* Something Vic did manage to do – But 10 years too late!!   :o 

I am a big fan of Victorinox, Herr Elsener, their company and ethos – But I gotta say this model is totally ridiculous
I don’t think it is a SAK, I don’t think it is art, it's a horrible design – It is an aberration.
Even what you think is meant to be a Swiss mountainscape, apparently is Adam and Eve's fig leaf  ??? Or an ancient stone tool!
And if you look at some of the collateral that has been released with this model – It is complete bullsh1t   >:D

I hope you are right Jaydar - Your comments did make me see this in a somewhat different light! :tu:

But if you look at a few recent releases from Vic you have to question what they are doing  ???

The stupid Addidas collaboration with a SAK attached to your shoe/shoelace   :pok:

The Brilliant Collection - $200 or so for a Classic – It really is a bit much   :think:

Weren’t SAKs meant to be for the common man/person?
There is an interesting quote from Mr. Elsener in that Wallpaper article:
“When we brought this design back to the people in the factory no-one understood it……”
….. Yes Mr. Elsener - listen to the people who know your product the best!!

I do have to say I do like the recent Classic Colours Collection – Having all those colours to choose from is really nice (although they bumped up the price of regular red thanks to this) –
The precious alox was another really nice initiative, a new alox pattern. – Great :tu:

But these latest ones :facepalm:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 03:12:33 AM by Huntsman »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
November Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: $121.00
PayPal Fees: $7.54
Net Balance: $113.46
Below Goal: $186.54