Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

84mm Alox Cybertool w/ 91mm scissors (WIP) (Pic heavy)

Glynn · 34 · 14958

us Offline DavZell

Re: 84mm Alox Cybertool w/ 91mm scissors (WIP) (Pic heavy)
Reply #30 on: July 20, 2023, 04:18:48 PM
A tragedy that the pictures for this stupendous mod are gone. :( It deserves to be seen.

I was thinking of attempting to recreate this awesome cybertool mod.  :think: Doesn't seem like anyone else has done it since Glynn.

I started reading from the top and thought "man, I wish there were still pictures!"  Then I got to your comment.  It would be great to see this.  0lease do post your project.  Can I recommend you do it as it's own discussion (link to here included) so that no one opens this and skips it for no pictures?
My Mods: 58mm Workshop, 91mm Picnicker, CyberCompact
Some Fav's: long nail file models, vintage unusual stainless
Quirk: I like the metal file more than the wood saw

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #31 on: July 24, 2023, 10:29:52 PM
I started reading from the top and thought "man, I wish there were still pictures!"  Then I got to your comment.  It would be great to see this.  0lease do post your project.  Can I recommend you do it as it's own discussion (link to here included) so that no one opens this and skips it for no pictures?
I wrote that when I had prospects of making use of some equipment, but that didn't pan out so it didn't go anywhere. :oops: I'll revive it and let you know if I ever get appropriate equipment.
In the meantime, if you or anyone else does this sort of thing I'll be VERY interested and cheer you on. :popcorn:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Offline BarbaBaba

Reply #32 on: August 05, 2023, 02:41:11 PM
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I'm probably going to attempt this 91mm scissor conversion, and I wanted to get it right on the first try.  I firgure its better to keep the discussion in one thread if people are searching for info on this mod.  (like I have been)

I'm hoping that someone can sanity check my plan before I start grinding.

My plan is to grind the tang 7.5mm wide (similar to a Cadet nail file).  This means that it should work with a standard 84mm knife layer backspring (with a custom rest/spacer at the other end); though I still have to figure out what to do about thickness, as the scissors are 0.15mm thicker than a sissors layer.

Since I want to keep the griding as simple as possible, so my plan is to drill the new hole (carbide bit) slightly off-center from the original hole, so that after grinding a straight bottom edge, the new hole will be centered in the 7.5mm tang.  Then, grind the notch so that doesn't interfere with the backspring when opened.

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm probably going to use a dremel & grinding wheel to do the grinding and finish with a diamond burr.  I have considered putting the grinding wheel bit in the mill and trying to take small passes with it to insure a straight edge grind-- but I'm not sure how well this would work.

Thanks for any suggestions.
I have successfully made a backspring for a scissors in G-10. It holds up well and is snappy . If you are making the scissor in a separate layer anyway, it could be worth trying *tip for any one :)

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #33 on: September 18, 2023, 02:40:58 PM
I can’t see the pics of this, what sounds like, spectacular mod…feel like I’m missing out!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%