Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

LM Curl "Plus" vs Spirit

Offline MikeJay

LM Curl "Plus" vs Spirit
on: December 17, 2022, 04:23:38 PM
I guess I`m a little behind but I just discovered the LM Curl. I've owned a Wave Plus for about a decade but swore I would never use it again after 2 experiences with the very painful palm pinch and once being thrown across a warehouse in anger (survived without a scratch). It got relegated to my trunk toolbox for emergencies only. It was quickly replaced with the Spirit XC (serrated blade) and never looked back. This is for work use only, I have a separate SAK build for after hours. It has served me well every day for many years (a decade?). But when I saw the Curl, I couldn't help but give LM a second look. After a couple mods, I think it will replace the Spirit.
What drew me to it was the lack of pinch point on one side. Fantastic! No more blood blisters. And I could make it even more useful...I`ll call it the Curl Plus.
First the plier head and serrated blade were exchanged from the Wave Plus. I always carry a plain edge regardless, so the serrated blade only serves as an enhancement for the few things it does better. And now I get the slightly better nose shape and replaceable cutters.
Then I modified a couple existing tools. I have never once used the can opener on any multitool or knife, so I turned it into a dedicated small to medium screwdriver, roughly comparable to the Vic can opener size driver. Can confirm, the bottle opener section still works fine :)
Last I took a cue from the Free series and made a small eyeglass screwdriver on the awl. At first I thought that idea was ridiculous on an awl, but after using it on my P4 (a whole different side story lol), I found it actually works better for digging into wood and leather. And of course the benefit of an eyeglass screwdriver for emergencies (I wear glasses).

Versus the Wave, I lose the saw and plain edge. The plain edge is a total non issue since I carry a main blade. The saw I used maybe 3-4 times in 10 years - it's nice in an emergency but realistically I will never miss it. If I`m camping or anything, I`ll have better options like the RangerGrip I also just modified.
But I gain the awl and much better ergonomics. Smaller, lighter, and noticeably more comfy in hand. And NO PALM PINCH!!! (on one side). Thanks to TX Tool Crib for pointing this out, or I likely would have never realized this very real benefit of the Curl. I lose locking tools - meh, for the tools on here, the only one of concern may be using the large flat driver as a pry bar. Time will tell about that one. But I`m ok with less weight and less moving parts.

Why it will likely replace the Spirit - mostly just something different after 10 years, but I especially like that the LM have easily replaceable tools so I'm not afraid to modify them. I use the file a lot at work so it's great to have a diamond file, and again replaceable so I can be even less worried about running it down. More usable scissors. Less blunt plier head with replaceable cutters. #2 ... and #1 phillips. Bit driver! Bit driver! Bit driver!
What I will miss on the Spirit - all outside tools, all locking tools (not really a big factor to me), better fit & finish overall, that awesome chisel.

* IMG_1318.jpg (Filesize: 395.67 KB)

* IMG_1319.jpg (Filesize: 220.8 KB)

* IMG_1320.jpg (Filesize: 203.27 KB)

* IMG_1321.jpg (Filesize: 317.62 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: LM Curl "Plus" vs Spirit
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2022, 05:32:30 PM
Nice bit of modding on the Curl :salute: :like:

You have done a few things I haven't seen done and that is cool :woohoo: :tu:

The purpose of modding is to make a tool to fit what you need more and if this toolset is what you need then that is so awesome  8) :like:

Offline MikeJay

Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 06:39:31 PM
Making it closer to individual needs is definitely cool  :climber:
The torx based LM are so easy to mod compared to SAKs which are inconvenient and the Spirit which is basically impossible for anyone but the most advanced modder. I work on medical equipment that oddly stiil uses a variety of flat heads (I wish they were made illegal) so the more sizes the better. And I often need a #1 phillips which was missing on the Spirit. Really every tool on this will get well used, with nothing extra I don't need.

Side note: I made a similar toolset on a P4 which was posted here quite a while ago. But IDK about the Free, no matter how much I modded it to my needs, I just couldn't get myself to like the overall design over time. Perhaps too large. But so far I am loving the ergonomic Curl platform. I know many are like "what is the point of that thing, just get a Wave with more tools". Well I don't WANT more tools, I want specific tools. I admit it is more niche than the Wave but happy it fits my niche well.  Sorry just rambling lol

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: December 18, 2022, 10:22:07 PM
I totally get it :cheers: The Curl is a great tool and a great platform :tu: The factory toolset was well thought out IMO but everyone has different and varying needs :salute: I can't get on with the Free series as much myself either and prefer the Wave/Charge/Curl platform as well :like:

no Offline aicolainen

Reply #4 on: December 19, 2022, 09:32:07 AM
I guess I`m a little behind but I just discovered the LM Curl.

You're not alone, my friend.
The Curl flew under my radar as well.

While not a very innovative tool, I like what LM did with the Curl. Smart move - if people recognize it for what it is, that is.
Now that I'm aware of it, and recognized it for what it is, to me it just appears to be a better Wave, for EDC specifically.. which is kind of where I believe they wanted to position the Wave in the first place. 

I've read a few threads on it already, and what I really don't understand is all the complaints about price. From a manufacturing point of view this can't be much cheaper to make than a Wave. And I don't think LMs intention was to make a "downgraded" and more affordable tool for those who couldn't afford a Wave. I think the Curl is  actually the result of LM listening to customers or intuitively realizing the current Wave suffers from a bit of schizophrenia. With a toolset that is part, but not quite urban EDC, not quite an outdoor tool and not quite a tradesman workhorse, but a little bit of everything that will unavoidably create some sort of cognitive dissonance in parts of it target audience. I guess that could still be good for sales, and it seem to have been, as a varied toolset might appeal undeservedly well to customers who don't know what they want or need. To some of the more experienced users the current Wave could be trying to do a little too much to make sense.
And voila! LM answers that request in the form of the Curl. That fact that it's actually cheaper than the Wave is just a nice bonus. If you want a more streamlined, lighter carry option, it should be worth the asking price, relative to the wave.
For general appeal, I don't think they could have done much better. Maybe a Victorinox approach with a few different versions optimized for wood or urban, but it's pretty well balanced as is.
Personally.. I would appreciate if they explored the urban EDC concept a little further. Maybe outside accessible scissors (Surge style) instead of the file. Or a shorter file combined with onboard bit storage like the Skeletool. A dedicated 3.5mm slotted would be nice too.

I want to support their effort, but as often happens when you already have a good selection of tools, I don't know where it fits in.
I have the the OG Wave and recently bought the Spirit X (before I discovered the Curl), which are both in the same weight class, and I don't feel I'd gain much by adding the Curl. If I was starting from scratch, it would be a top contender. It would also have been a strong contender for my recent EV-toolbox standoff if it had a more prominent spot in the marketplace, but as it is, you're hard pressed to find it at a similarly good deal as some of the more well known models. It can be bought right now at a "sales" price equivalent to USD 110, which is historically around its lowest point here, but it's also not a rare price bracket to find it in. And it's almost double of what I paid for my Rebar.

I'll keep watching the prices and maybe I'll jump on it at the right price, but most likely I'll save my money and keep hoping for something even lighter and more compact (Juice replacement) to be released a little further down the road.

Offline MikeJay

Reply #5 on: December 24, 2022, 10:29:42 PM
You're not alone, my friend.
The Curl flew under my radar as well.

Glad others have something good to say about it! Like you mention, it does get some bad press and it seems to have a limited audience. I agree with many reviews that should at least have the replaceable cutter head standard. For me it came down to un-modded, I would stay with the Spirit. But now that I have it exactly the way I want, and have carried over a week, it has officially replaced the Spirit. I`m really liking the mods I made.  The Wave drove me to the Spirit, but the Curl brought me back to LM so they must be onto *something*.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%