Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Nextool Mini Flagship improvements

de Offline thom53281

Nextool Mini Flagship improvements
on: December 24, 2022, 05:51:55 PM
Hello everyone,

I hope you are all doing well for Christmas! :)

As in my other thread, my girlfriend gets the Nextool Mini Flagship as a Christmas present. I was just packing it in and began thinking on how you could possibly improve it - just for fun. Maybe I will purchase one for me in the future too.

First of all I don't like the can opener. I don't think that she will ever open a can with it and neither do I. So it is lost space. There are two options I see here. First of all it could be modified to an awl like in this thread. This would be the easier mod. But I also like the idea of replacing the tool and putting a combined bottle opener with a pair of tweezers into it. The tweezers on the foto are just an example. If I do that, I must buy smaller ones.

The other problem I see is that it only has one flat and one Philips screwdriver. Both are ok, but here in Germany Torx becomes more and more popular. So I thought about how to use standard bits with the tool. With an small tool like the Mini Flagship you clearly don't want to carry a complete bit set with you. But fitting one or two preferred bits onto your keychain or throwing them into your pocket along with the tool would be an option.

In fact it is easy to use bits with the Nextool. I just used the same method most of the SOG tools use. I just put the bit on the back of the scissors and they are held tight while pressing the handles together.

The problem I see is that it propably won't stand too much force. I didn't want to test that since the tool is still a present and I don't want to break it. But there is a place where the bit could take much more force. It is the backside of the pliers. Only problem is that there is some metal in the way.

So maybe those ideas are helpful for other users of the Mini Flagship. Tomorrow she gets her present and then we will se if I mod it or not. ;)

Offline ComboTool

Re: Nextool Mini Flagship improvements
Reply #1 on: December 25, 2022, 08:58:27 AM
You could also look at the Roxon M2, it's only marginally larger than the Nextool mini and comes with a bit adapter (for 4mm bits I think)

de Offline thom53281

Re: Nextool Mini Flagship improvements
Reply #2 on: December 25, 2022, 12:15:49 PM
Thank you, but the Nextool is the maximum in size I would buy for my girlfriend. Originally I wanted to go even smaller than the Nextool. For me the size of the Roxon would be ok. Also it has three tools which are not needed (package opener, nail cleaner, can opener) instead of one, which wastes even more space. Ok, you could replace that tools too for something more useful. But modding the one or the other...

The second problem is that the bits are no standard bits and you can only use bits with an adapter. So you have to carry all three things which wastes even more space. A better solution would be to simply make an adapter for the Mini Flagship. That would be possible with not too much problems. But I don't want to do it with an adapter, since there are suitable spots in the Nextool which make the adapter obsolete.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%