Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swisstool recommendations

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Swisstool recommendations
on: November 22, 2022, 04:15:29 PM
Having acquired most of the traditional SAK models that I'm interested in, I'm starting to take a poke at pliers based multitools. I've been rotating through a couple different Leathermans for the last month or two, with mixed results. Figured I'd come back home to Vic (and all outside opening seems nice), but there's a lot of Swisstool variants. Original ST vs Spirit is easy enough (mostly size) but the various tool sub configs (especially with all the different blade shapes/types) is a bit overwhelming. Does anyone have a particular model they're really in love with, or recommend for a first-timer? I'll probably get one of the Xs (gotta love Vic's scissors), unless there's a must-have tool they replace. OHO is nice (assuming it's well implemented, I've heard mixed reviews on how thumbable the little tabs are), but not required.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Swisstool recommendations
Reply #1 on: November 22, 2022, 05:25:33 PM
I have a Swiss Tool and the Spirit. I prefer the Spirit.  I have been carrying a Spirit tool every day for several years now except during challenges.  I like the basic model with the serrated "butter blade" which I find more elegant than the spearpoint non-serrated blade.  I'm pretty sure it has been discontinued but I have another one new in the package in a drawer for a backup.  My second choice would be the Spirit X which is the same tool but has the spearpoint blade.  I don't think much of the rescue model which has a curved blade for cutting seat belts instead of the saw which I actually do use a lot, or of the new one hand opening model because I think the thumb catches get in the way.  I don't have any of the accessories, but you might want to order yours with the mini ratchet driver or the L shaped bit driver for even more utility. The scissors on the Spirit are different, and honestly not as good as regular 91mm scissors because they don't open as wide, but they suffice.  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 05:36:38 PM
I like the Spirit with butter blade as well.  There is a mod you can do to the scissor  to open them a little more.  Compared to standard Vic scissors they are ok. 

I also have the Swisstool X which is a good tool.  I use mine in my yard and its been wonderful.  There were some plier head changes over the year tho if you are buying new then you'd be getting the current iteration  :think:.  I gifted my parters son a newer Swisstool X with new main blade shape.  Kinda wharncliff-ish IIRC.   

I had the L wrench and bits but IMO you can get a great tiny ratchet set separate if thats what you'll want to compliment the tool. 

Theres a thread with the different plier heads for the Swisstool. 
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline Echotech

Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 12:03:15 AM
+1 for Spirit with the butter blade

For my mind it's one of the best PBMT's out there, F&F is superb and the pliers are very comfortable in use having nicely rounded handles
The chisel thingy (as it seems to mostly be called) is extremely useful, really nice file, awl, drivers etc
Scissors work well enough but I do prefer normal 91mm SAK scissors

I think of the butter blade as complimentary to any SE blade I'm likely to carry, thus giving me greater utility overall

I've got the corkscrew attachment with a SAK glasses driver threaded into it with mine, adding even more use

:cheers:

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 24, 2022, 01:03:58 AM
I'll start sniffing around for a Spirit-B (for butter). Interesting to hear how much people love it. It's awlways seemed like a bit of a novelty to me.

00 Offline Grand_Banana

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 24, 2022, 01:59:24 AM
I have the spirit x with drop point blade. I pair it with a Waiter for scale tools and corkscrew.  The OHO MX model is nice in theory, but it is a tad narrower and the thumb tab I find doesn’t warrant the increased price. I don’t carry another dedicated folder, so the spirit is my locking blade and I don’t really frequently need OHO.

Also, I prefer the chisel and wire scraper/stripper on the spirit to the ST.  The ST scissors are leaps and bounds better, but it is overall too big for my typical use.

au Offline Echotech

Reply #6 on: November 24, 2022, 03:56:16 AM
:iagree: GB

the ST is great, super solid and with more tools, but also larger and heavier than I want to carry

My version is the Australian Army issue without scissors from early 2000’s, I absolutely love it but overkill as edc

The roughly 80gm I save in weight allows me to carry a SE folder which I find more useful

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: November 24, 2022, 09:30:33 PM
 :drool: That BO AAST.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #8 on: November 25, 2022, 01:19:53 AM
 :iagree: :drool:. I carry a Swisstool RS for work, but I love the Spirit "B".  They're just as hardy as the full size tool.  Don't let it's good looks fool you.  It'll do anything the bigger tool will do.  I carry the RS mainly because it has the ruler on the side.  I do a lot of measuring at work and it comes in handy.
Barry

au Offline Echotech

Reply #9 on: November 25, 2022, 01:31:48 AM

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: November 26, 2022, 02:23:09 PM
If the OP still haven't got one, I'd highly recommend the Spirit MX.  I have always loved all the outside tools on a Spirit and it being a light weight fully featured MT, and with the new OHO feature, it  has really became the be-all end-all MT for me.  The little wing on the blade is easy to operate, even with winter gloves on.

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #11 on: November 26, 2022, 11:21:15 PM
My favorite Swisstool is the 'DAK' Spirit. It's the Spirit that is issued to the Dutch Army. I don't see any use of scissors on a multi-tool. I rather have to cutting blades.
Attached is a picture of the 'DAK' Spirit. (Picture was posted by member Agamemnon in an earlier thread on DAK's).

* Spirit DAK Knipsel.jpg (Filesize: 67.71 KB)

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #12 on: November 26, 2022, 11:22:09 PM
to = two

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 27, 2022, 03:31:37 AM
Thanks for the reccs everyone. Currently keeping an eye out for a Spirit at a good price. Unsure on if I'll go for the oho or not, seems to be pretty hit or miss with people.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #14 on: November 27, 2022, 06:57:22 AM
 :like: :like:
My favorite Swisstool is the 'DAK' Spirit. It's the Spirit that is issued to the Dutch Army. I don't see any use of scissors on a multi-tool. I rather have to cutting blades.
Attached is a picture of the 'DAK' Spirit. (Picture was posted by member Agamemnon in an earlier thread on DAK's).
Barry

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #15 on: November 27, 2022, 09:55:49 AM
(...) Attached is a picture of the 'DAK' Spirit. (Picture was posted by member Agamemnon in an earlier thread on DAK's).

No, I was wrong! It was member Reinier who posted  the original picture. Sorry.

no Offline aicolainen

Reply #16 on: November 27, 2022, 03:39:38 PM
I played it safe and went with the spirit x.
Back when I only had Leatherman MTs, I weren’t into folding knives yet, so the OHO outside tools was a revelation. These days I carry a dedicated OHO folder anyway, so I decided against the new OHO spirit. The tools I’ll use the most will require two hands anyways, so while it might not be a big deal I rather it be a full two hand tool and avoid any possible issues caused by the opening tab

Offline MrToolJunkie

Reply #17 on: November 30, 2022, 07:10:36 AM
I like the one hand open, but the regular version is appealing too and slips in the pocket. I think these are some of the most elegant multi tools made. Love the tool set too.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%