Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

R200 and waiting

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
R200 and waiting
on: October 25, 2022, 04:02:32 PM
I dared to have a birthday last week and now I have to pay the government for the privilege.   :facepalm:

My driver's license expired and now I need to renew it, so I am waiting, more or less patiently, for KY number of R200 to be called.

Currently they are serving R17.

I am hoping to renew my license before my next renewal is due.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Re: R200 and waiting
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2022, 05:23:43 PM
Funniest part of the entire Zootopia movie is when the main characters walk into the DMV and it is staffed entirely by sloths…

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 05:30:41 PM

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 05:41:51 PM
I once waited 2 years for my DL to get to me.  True story.   :facepalm:
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: October 25, 2022, 06:11:20 PM
It sure felt like I was sitting there that long.   :facepalm:

In the end it went a bit faster than I'd thought, and after giving them $500 ish dollars, the government is now aware that I:

A- intend to continue driving (renewed my licence)
B- intend to keep using the car that I own, maintain and pay for and that they know I haven't sold since that would mean paying them other money (renewed my vehicle registration)

Now all I need to do is pay more money to a garage to ensure that my vehicle is up to current safety standards for the roads that are little more than a bunch of potholes asphalted together.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 11:11:10 PM
If only it went that smoothly here!

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #7 on: October 29, 2022, 02:48:16 PM
Sounds a lot easier than my recent renewal experience here...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #8 on: October 30, 2022, 03:06:33 AM
I make an appointment for DMV (or, as Michigan insists on calling it, Secretary of State) visits. Otherwise, you'd need to plan your whole day around the visit.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Pacu

Reply #9 on: November 23, 2022, 12:38:43 AM
I get about 7 tickets from the little machine in front. With 7 chances of being called it's like Bingo. Getting my CDL a couple years ago I had to learn tricks to speed up the wait times, :whistle: :whistle:
:like:    :MTO:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: November 23, 2022, 02:12:02 AM
They don't allow you to take your own ticket.  They have a greeter that asks what you are there for and issues you a ticket.   :facepalm:

Def

england Offline Kev D

Reply #11 on: November 23, 2022, 04:07:18 PM
You can pretty much do it all online here to renew your license.  If you have a recent passport, you could select to use that photo as well when I last renewed mine rather than send one.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #12 on: November 23, 2022, 07:22:43 PM
have you made it through the queue yet?
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: November 23, 2022, 10:16:40 PM
You can pretty much do it all online here to renew your license.  If you have a recent passport, you could select to use that photo as well when I last renewed mine rather than send one.

We can renew some things online but others you can't.   And, since I needed a new driver's license photo I needed to go in.

Her driving is provincially regulated and passports are federal, so no overlap of using the same photo.

Of course, passports and firearms licenses are both federal, and yet there's no holdover there as each government department is set up independent of every other so that none of them have all my info.

It is a paranoid system and only succeeds in slowing every process down significantly.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: November 23, 2022, 10:18:00 PM
have you made it through the queue yet?

I actually made it through that day a lot more efficiently than I expected.  I mean, it wasn't fast, bit I didn't actually have to pack a lunch like I normally expect.

Def

england Offline Kev D

Reply #15 on: November 24, 2022, 02:43:25 PM
We can renew some things online but others you can't.   And, since I needed a new driver's license photo I needed to go in.

Her driving is provincially regulated and passports are federal, so no overlap of using the same photo.

Of course, passports and firearms licenses are both federal, and yet there's no holdover there as each government department is set up independent of every other so that none of them have all my info.

It is a paranoid system and only succeeds in slowing every process down significantly.

Def

You can just go to one of many many shops here and get one taken and they send it direct to them digitally, so no need to even get one printed to send in.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #16 on: November 26, 2022, 03:37:15 PM
My driver's license photo is a 20 year old photo because I've renewed twice by mail.  Next time I will have to go in for one of the new travel enhanced and approved licenses and they require a passport, a birth certificate  and whatever else they're going to want to prove that I'm me and that I'm a citizen.  I wouldn't dream of going in without an appointment and they're booked months in advance.
 :twak:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: November 26, 2022, 05:39:17 PM
You can just go to one of many many shops here and get one taken and they send it direct to them digitally, so no need to even get one printed to send in.

They insist on taking it themselves, because they can't trust that I know what I look like.

That said, I can get photos done anywhere and send them in for my firearms license and that's okay, as long as someone I know is willing to sign the back, guaranteeing that it is me.   :facepalm:

I have to get photos done elsewhere for my passport, but I then have to take them to the passport office so that they can look at them and say "yes, this is very likely you."

But then I am also old enough to remember driver's licenses without photos, and the screams of BIG BROTHER when they started putting photos on them.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%