Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Who’s gettin’ a new Vic for Christmas?

Offline Red Ranger

Who’s gettin’ a new Vic for Christmas?
on: November 24, 2022, 08:59:08 PM
Who’s getting a new Vic knife this year? I’m getting two. Yeah, no surprise there, since I already know, other than the color that is, cause I told my family what three colors I liked best and left it up to them to decide. But I know I’ll be getting a Climber and a Classic SD for sure. There’s a slim chance I’ll find a RangerGrip 79 under the tree, too. LOL!

us Offline marlowe221

Re: Who’s gettin’ a new Vic for Christmas?
Reply #1 on: November 24, 2022, 09:09:45 PM
Mrs. Marlowe221 asked me which SAK I wanted for Christmas. And… I’m not sure!

It’s one thing for me to buy SAKs for myself for my silly, happy desk drawer full of SAKs, many of which I’ll never really use much.

But if my wife is going to get me one for Christmas, I would like it to be… we’ll kind of special and be one I’ll actually carry and use at some point.  I’m not sure what to ask her for though!

I like the looks of the Pioneer, and I don’t have one. But I wish it came in red like all my Cellidor knives and my Cadet.  Doesn’t seem to be available in that color though. I know that there are Pioneer Xs in red…

So if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them! I’m a 3 layer max, loose pocket carry kind of guy.

cz Offline z1913

Reply #2 on: November 24, 2022, 09:20:33 PM

I like the looks of the Pioneer, and I don’t have one. But I wish it came in red like all my Cellidor knives and my Cadet.  Doesn’t seem to be available in that color though. I know that there are Pioneer Xs in red…

So if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them! I’m a 3 layer max, loose pocket carry kind of guy.

How about this one?

https://messerundco.de/Victorinox-Sonderedition-Wanger-Pioneer-Alox-rot-Schweizermesser

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #3 on: November 24, 2022, 09:42:44 PM
Try Knifecenter.com  they have a couple red alox models as their special.

https://www.knifecenter.com/find-the-best/alox

I'm of the "if it ain't red,it's not a SAK club"  also   :cheers: ;)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 10:06:42 PM by Rich S »
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #4 on: November 24, 2022, 10:20:30 PM
I asked for a white spartan... Fingers crossed
Carry a Victorinox SAK folks,  because you dont know what life is about to throw at you.

cz Offline z1913

Reply #5 on: November 24, 2022, 11:20:27 PM
Another suggestion for Marlowe221 - I saw in the other thread how happy you are with the Recruit and that you have broad selection of Evos.
My preferred size is as well 84mm (my favourite combo is Waiter and alox Minichamp) but for hiking/camping I use 111mm Forester wood and I really like it - very pocketable and there must be something about the proportions, I guess the right ratio of width and length so it feels great in the hand and not bulky at all.

So if you do not have any 111mm why not to try it? How about the very special Cheese master - probably something you would not buy yourself but as a special gift? Serrated blade, cheese knife, fork with bottle opener - how cool is that!

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #6 on: November 24, 2022, 11:28:33 PM
How about this one?

https://messerundco.de/Victorinox-Sonderedition-Wanger-Pioneer-Alox-rot-Schweizermesser

That one will take some google-translate for me, I’m afraid.  Do they ship to the USA?

Try Knifecenter.com  they have a couple red alox models as their special.

https://www.knifecenter.com/find-the-best/alox

I'm of the "if it ain't red,it's not a SAK club"  also   :cheers: ;)

Yes! I’m very reluctant to buy a non-red SAK. It’s kind of dumb, I guess, but to me it’s the color they are “supposed” to be. Knifecenter has the Pioneer X in red. I’m a scissors-optional guy when it comes to my larger SAK. I find that in those situations where I really need scissors over a blade, the 58mm version are perfect for the job due to their size.

I wish they would have had the regular Pioneer in red too.

Another suggestion for Marlowe221 - I saw in the other thread how happy you are with the Recruit and that you have broad selection of Evos.
My preferred size is as well 84mm (my favourite combo is Waiter and alox Minichamp) but for hiking/camping I use 111mm Forester wood and I really like it - very pocketable and there must be something about the proportions, I guess the right ratio of width and length so it feels great in the hand and not bulky at all.

So if you do not have any 111mm why not to try it? How about the very special Cheese master - probably something you would not buy yourself but as a special gift? Serrated blade, cheese knife, fork with bottle opener - how cool is that!

A 111mm might be an interesting choice… I don’t have one at all, actually. I really enjoy camping and hiking , though I don’t do it as often as I should. I probably wouldn’t get daily-ish use out of a 111mm SAK, but still…

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #7 on: November 25, 2022, 01:14:40 AM
111s are a whole new world as far as SAKs go.  I like to call them 21st Century SAKs.  They're ideal for camping, hiking, etc.  You really can't kill them.
Barry

00 Online Grand_Banana

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 25, 2022, 02:51:24 AM

Waiter and Alox Minichamp, that’s a combo z! My kid makes a list for Santa, which might’ve also included an Alox Minichamp.

We hold a reclette night as tradition during the holidays, perhaps I should look into the cheese master.

111s are a whole new world as far as SAKs go.  I like to call them 21st Century SAKs.  They're ideal for camping, hiking, etc.  You really can't kill them.

Barry, would you recommend a 111 like workchamp over swiss champ or swisstool for camping? I typically have my spirit x paired with a waiter for camping and hiking, but sometimes take my swisschamp in place of SAK or ST.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #9 on: November 25, 2022, 03:29:44 AM
Yes definitely.  It's a lot easier to handle as it's slimmer than the Swisschamp and easier to keep clean.  The blade is locking and incredibly sharp, and the saw is longer.  Saves effort cutting campfire wood.  The pliers will handle most anything you might encounter a need for, and the cap lifter is a beast (and locking too).  For me, it gets rid of most the tools you don't really use in the woods.  I'm a huge Swisschamp fan, and I'd take the Workchamp into the woods every time over a Swisschamp.  Now, for daily carry, I'd take the Swisschamp, but my Workchamp goes with me when I'm outside.  I've carried everything from a Classic and Minichamp to Trekkers, Hikers, etc.  on my hikes.  I'm a minimalist hiker, but I love my Workchamp. 
It will be too late for Christmas, but I'm thinking about hosting a Workchamp Challenge early next year.  The 111 series is one that doesn't get a lot of attention and it's a whole new level of Knife. 

Edit: When I resume traveling in a couple of years, it's going to be the Swisschamp that goes with me, mainly because it's legal carry almost anywhere you can carry a knife.  It doesn't attract attention the way a 111 blade does.
Barry

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #10 on: November 25, 2022, 04:13:41 AM
Not I, as I have too many as it is.

However, the Classic SD and the Nail Clip are my most used SAKs. Classic can do so much more than I thought, its crazy.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Offline Red Ranger

Reply #11 on: November 25, 2022, 05:07:51 AM
I asked for a white spartan... Fingers crossed

I was really close to asking for this same knife. We mostly buy from Amazon, though, and recently the price of the Spartan went up equal to the Climber. I’m also having a good bit of trouble thinking I don’t have to have those 91mm scissors, even though I’ll be carrying the Classic SD with scissors in combo with the Climber.

I mostly just wanted the Classic SD for its file, and for whatever reason I’m just drawn to its petite and discreet size, too. I’m thinking whenever I see a need for a blade or scissors, and I’m in a place where using a larger knife would draw unwanted attention, then I feel like the Classic SD is the answer.

Also it occurs to me that if I’m gonna be a SAK enthusiast, then owning at least one Classic SD seems like a requirement. Come to think of it, so does owning a Spartan. Hmm…..

Offline Miles42

Reply #12 on: November 25, 2022, 05:20:51 AM
Me but will be my own choice and purchase.

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 25, 2022, 05:32:24 AM
More likely in January, but I like to get the PioneerX limited edition these last few years, used to be the Cadet until they stopped doing them...otherwise I've pretty well got every SAK I want apart from the LE Cadet from 2015 and some very old Mod 08 Soldiers....will look forward to seeing all your new SAK's and how much you like them.....can concur, the 111's are wickedly good, Outrider and Soldier my personal faves
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 07:15:15 AM by Echotech »

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #14 on: November 25, 2022, 06:50:23 AM
I would like to get a 111mm at some point but I doubt I’ll go straight for the Workchamp. The Picnicker or Forester looks like it would me more my style.

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #15 on: November 25, 2022, 09:42:25 AM
I was really close to asking for this same knife. We mostly buy from Amazon, though, and recently the price of the Spartan went up equal to the Climber. I’m also having a good bit of trouble thinking I don’t have to have those 91mm scissors, even though I’ll be carrying the Classic SD with scissors in combo with the Climber.

I mostly just wanted the Classic SD for its file, and for whatever reason I’m just drawn to its petite and discreet size, too. I’m thinking whenever I see a need for a blade or scissors, and I’m in a place where using a larger knife would draw unwanted attention, then I feel like the Classic SD is the answer.

Also it occurs to me that if I’m gonna be a SAK enthusiast, then owning at least one Classic SD seems like a requirement. Come to think of it, so does owning a Spartan. Hmm…..

Sounds like a Compact ( basically a slimmer climber with a file on the hook) would cover all your needs in one ;0) You also get lovely plus scale tools and a mini screwdriver to boot!  :tu:

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #16 on: November 26, 2022, 04:45:25 AM
I’m leaning towards asking the better half for one of those red Pioneer X models from knifecenter.com

Offline Red Ranger

Reply #17 on: November 26, 2022, 03:41:14 PM
Sounds like a Compact ( basically a slimmer climber with a file on the hook) would cover all your needs in one ;0) You also get lovely plus scale tools and a mini screwdriver to boot!  :tu:

I considered it but it lacks the reamer/awl which has become a part of my daily use for opening boxes, saving the blades from all that tape glue, so I definitely want that tool. I have settled on a Climber that I will upgrade with plus scales, and carry a Classic SD for its file, and have an extra blade to boot. I’ve even seen the need for two toothpicks already, one for me and one for my wife. She won’t carry her own Classic. I’ve already explored that option. But she will sure use mine, LOL!

Offline Red Ranger

Reply #18 on: November 26, 2022, 03:55:36 PM
To me this has been a real year for SAKs! I bought two for myself, a white Huntsman and a red Ranger, and I’m getting a Climber and a Classic SD for Christmas, and by the time 2022 is done I will have given five more SAKs as gifts. A white Huntsman for my brother, a pink camo Classic SD for my sister, a ruby red Classic SD for the blind exchange at the company Christmas party, and two more Classic SD knives for the two women I work with in the office, and one of those was a direct request after seeing what I was doing for the exchange. So to keep those two different, I ordered some with flower patterns for them. I got one from Swiss Knife Shop that’s white with roses on it, and found one on Amazon that’s black and covered in blue, purple, and pink flowers.

00 Online Grand_Banana

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: November 26, 2022, 05:01:34 PM
Yes definitely.  It's a lot easier to handle as it's slimmer than the Swisschamp and easier to keep clean.  The blade is locking and incredibly sharp, and the saw is longer.  Saves effort cutting campfire wood.  The pliers will handle most anything you might encounter a need for, and the cap lifter is a beast (and locking too).  For me, it gets rid of most the tools you don't really use in the woods.  I'm a huge Swisschamp fan, and I'd take the Workchamp into the woods every time over a Swisschamp.  Now, for daily carry, I'd take the Swisschamp, but my Workchamp goes with me when I'm outside.  I've carried everything from a Classic and Minichamp to Trekkers, Hikers, etc.  on my hikes.  I'm a minimalist hiker, but I love my Workchamp. 
It will be too late for Christmas, but I'm thinking about hosting a Workchamp Challenge early next year.  The 111 series is one that doesn't get a lot of attention and it's a whole new level of Knife. 

Edit: When I resume traveling in a couple of years, it's going to be the Swisschamp that goes with me, mainly because it's legal carry almost anywhere you can carry a knife.  It doesn't attract attention the way a 111 blade does.

Thanks for the thorough response, Barry.  These are great points and very helpful. I may just need to pick one up.

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #20 on: November 26, 2022, 08:48:36 PM
I considered it but it lacks the reamer/awl which has become a part of my daily use for opening boxes, saving the blades from all that tape glue, so I definitely want that tool. I have settled on a Climber that I will upgrade with plus scales, and carry a Classic SD for its file, and have an extra blade to boot. I’ve even seen the need for two toothpicks already, one for me and one for my wife. She won’t carry her own Classic. I’ve already explored that option. But she will sure use mine, LOL!

Fair point on the lack of awl and one I’m sure you wouldn’t be alone on.

As well as not carrying her own classic and then using your toothpick does your wife also not order chips (or fries depending on what part for the world your are in) and then starts nicking yours when they arrive?!  :rofl:

us Offline MTSAK

Reply #21 on: November 28, 2022, 05:05:46 AM
I asked for a SwissChamp. Originally wanted a Silvertech until I realized it didn't have Plus scales. Also might add an Outdoor Master Mic S to my list

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: November 28, 2022, 06:09:39 AM
I'm tempted to get a Vic Skipper. Those blue scales.  :whistle:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #24 on: December 01, 2022, 06:38:11 AM
I still haven’t quite made up my mind which SAK to ask Santa for Christmas.

Anyone else struggling a little?

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #25 on: December 01, 2022, 10:42:21 PM
I'm tempted to get a Vic Skipper. Those blue scales.  :whistle:

Although I have no need for the SKipper, I have to say , that is a really nice SAK
Carry a Victorinox SAK folks,  because you dont know what life is about to throw at you.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #26 on: December 01, 2022, 11:00:06 PM
I just got me a few from African-American Friday sales. I'll get some pics up when they arrive.

Not really 'cause of Chrsitmas, just 'cause good price.

:cheers: :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #27 on: December 02, 2022, 03:41:21 AM
Anyone else struggling a little?
Not me...sadly, I know I ain't gonna get one.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

00 Offline SAKTaschenmesser

Reply #28 on: December 02, 2022, 09:25:22 AM
...Wanger?  ???
Wanger = Dirk Wanger, the proprietor of Messer & Co?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Red Ranger

Reply #29 on: December 03, 2022, 03:20:14 AM
Fair point on the lack of awl and one I’m sure you wouldn’t be alone on.

As well as not carrying her own classic and then using your toothpick does your wife also not order chips (or fries depending on what part for the world your are in) and then starts nicking yours when they arrive?!  :rofl:

She just did that tonight! I got off work and we left home in a hurry so I hadn’t eaten but she already had. We went through a drive thru where I got a burger and fries and she only got a 4 pc cheese stick order to snack on. First thing out of the bag were my fries and she ate one before I could even get them. LOL!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%