Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

RangerGrip stainless pin?

Offline MikeJay

RangerGrip stainless pin?
on: November 27, 2022, 05:22:15 AM
Received my first 130mm knife today, a RG79. Love the feel of it much more than I thought I would, she's a keeper. But I think the openers on a tool this size are completely unnecessary weight. Within an hour I was taking the scales off and ready to drill the pins - until I noticed the one single Stainless pin (I assume). Bummed :( Searched like crazy but can find nothing really specific about this pin.

Anyone know the difficulty level of SS for someone who has only modded one SAK with all brass pins? Is it especially harder for drilling, peening, or both? Doesn't help I have nothing like a nice steady drill press, If they are 2.5mm pins, which is what I can gather, I guess I could use bushings from a 91mm. So I wouldn't be so concerned worst case scenario with grinding it off since I'm gaining the length of a layer. But the peening - different story, I get one chance. HOW different is the question?

Offline MikeJay

Re: RangerGrip stainless pin?
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 09:06:09 PM
Answered *half* of my own question! The stainless pin provides very little more resistance to drilling than brass. 5/32 DEWALT Titanium Nitride Coated shank bits and a cheap $30 cordless driver had no problem (raining and too lazy to get my good tools from work van). I butchered the bushings just like my first build, but that's simply my lack of skill lol. I'm waiting to receive a set of new 2.5mm bushings before I re-assemble. Crossing my fingers I`m able to peen the stainless pin just as easily as it drilled out.

So far I found little to no difference in working with the 130mm versus a 91mm. Other than maybe getting the last pin lined up in the liner hole, but after a couple tries I rounded off the pin head with Dremel and it went in just fine. Disclaimer: I only removed the opener layer and put the outer liner against the saw. In doing so, the saw did come off it's spring but I found it quite easy to replace (even easier than 91mm). I did not attempt messing around with the knife layer. Something tells me that could get tricky?

Meanwhile I did the "bit driver" mod while the scales are off. I used the chisel on the Cybertool L/41, it fits each hexagon side almost perfectly. Slowly rocking back and forth I poked through the red plastic of each inner side. Then I used an Xacto knife to cut out the black grip from the outside. At this point it was close but wonky shaped and too small to fit a bit. So I put a 1/4 bit in vice grips, heated up the hex side of the bit with a torch lighter, and inserted/melted into the hole to form a perfect hexagon. Detailed with the Xacto again and it looks real nice.

When finished I`ll update how the stainless peening went for me - the most important part.

* IMG_1199.jpg (Filesize: 418.8 KB)

* IMG_1200.jpg (Filesize: 372.99 KB)

* IMG_1201.jpg (Filesize: 407.02 KB)

* IMG_1202.jpg (Filesize: 383.57 KB)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 09:33:08 PM by MikeJay »

Offline MikeJay

Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 03:05:22 PM
A quick follow up: this is now finished and was a great experience. Thinner, lighter, feels great in hand. The stainless pin was no harder to peen than brass, so I`m very happy about that. At first the saw had an issue hitting the aluminum scale side when closing but I bent it ever so slightly and now shuts properly.

* IMG_1323 (1).jpg (Filesize: 422.38 KB)

* IMG_1325.jpg (Filesize: 361.2 KB)

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023, 06:12:58 AM
Looks like it turned out nice. 

So...  :think: you didn't want the extra weight?  Or you just didn't think they would be useful?

Offline MikeJay

Reply #4 on: January 08, 2023, 04:25:45 PM
So...  :think: you didn't want the extra weight?  Or you just didn't think they would be useful?

I rationalize it as not being convinced the openers have a place on a knife of this size so why have the extra bulk and weight? In my use case, I`ll always have nearby 3 other ways to open a bottle and can (short of SHTF scenario)

Then back in reality, the extra bulk and weight are negligible and I just wanted a reason to take apart another SAK  :D

us Offline Enginears

Reply #5 on: January 08, 2023, 07:03:55 PM
Turned out awesome MikeJay. Heating up the hex bit to melt the rubber was a good idea. Glad to know the stainless pin was no bug issue.

Offline bricem13

• New User
Reply #6 on: January 12, 2023, 09:38:56 PM
Hi

I bought a new ranger grip 79 couple of days ago and the pins are brass.

Envoyé de mon M2103K19G en utilisant Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD