Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Combo Edge Challenge 2/1-3/2/23

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Combo Edge Challenge 2/1-3/2/23
on: November 28, 2022, 02:12:52 AM
The Second Annual Combo Edge Challenge
Everywhere I turn, I see partially serrated blades - The LM Signal, The Victorinox Soldier - they're everywhere!  But if you hang around the MT forums anywhere and ask any seasoned user, they don't like combo edge blades, and they go to great lengths to avoid them.  Hang around longer, and get the chance to hear from a MT or knife designer as to why they make them this way... and they say they're better, can do more, and stay sharper longer.

When I first got into folding knives, I thought so too.  I had friends that would fashion a camp stove out a #10 can and a combo edge knife, and before long I was doing the same thing.  But ever since I got into MT's and SAKs, I preferred to have the serrated and plain edges on separate blades.  Then I got the 08 Soldier. And then I got the Skeletool.  And then I got to thinking.

It's not that these knives won't work.  They'll do a majority of the things I need to do.  Why can't I get by with a blade with a Combo edge for most day-to-day tasks, especially if I like the tool overall?

Welcome to the Combo Edge Challenge.  Apropos of the blade design, it will run for 30 days from the beginning of February 2023 through the 2nd day of March 2023.

Any knife or multitool with a partially serrated blade would qualify for this 30DC

We had a decent turn out last year, and we have our own badge that will be awarded at the completion of the Challenge. 

Many common multitools have combo edged blades, and can be used for the challenge...
Signal,
Swisstool Spirit (with butter blade),
Leatherman MUT,
Spyderco,
SOG Powerlock
Victorinox Soldier or 111mm
Skeletool
Gerber MP 400

In addition, there are some new and interesting tools that folks may have gotten that would qualify.... like the Leatherman K2.... or some oldies and goodies, like a Gerber Gator, which is a favorite among hikers.

This is your chance to take out the knife or multitool that has a partially serrated blade that you haven't used much and put it through its paces.

Whos in?   :woohoo:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Combo Edge Challenge 2/1-3/2/23
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 04:45:36 AM
I'm in!  I have a new Hogue automatic that I'd love to use.
Barry

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 05:05:39 AM
I may be in...not committing just yet.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

no Offline aicolainen

Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 04:19:11 PM
I must admit I have some intuitive bias against CE blades, so I'd love to participate to get some real world experience and see how that intuition holds up.
Problem is, I don't have a single CE blade that I can think of.
It's not very likely that I'll run into a CE blade I'll want before the challenge starts, but if so happens, I'll be sure to join.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 29, 2022, 01:47:00 AM
I must admit I have some intuitive bias against CE blades, so I'd love to participate to get some real world experience and see how that intuition holds up.
Problem is, I don't have a single CE blade that I can think of.
It's not very likely that I'll run into a CE blade I'll want before the challenge starts, but if so happens, I'll be sure to join.

I think most of us have that intuitive bias, which is why this is a .... err.... challenging Challenge. 

If you want to get something that is good regardless of, or even despite having a combo edge blade, look at a Victorinox Soldier or a Leatherman Skeletool.  You won't be disappointed. 

au Offline Echotech

Reply #5 on: November 29, 2022, 02:41:09 AM
I think most of us have that intuitive bias, which is why this is a .... err.... challenging Challenge. 

If you want to get something that is good regardless of, or even despite having a combo edge blade, look at a Victorinox Soldier or a Leatherman Skeletool.  You won't be disappointed.

:iagree: two of my faves  :tu: :tu:

no Offline aicolainen

Reply #6 on: November 29, 2022, 10:09:27 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I have no doubt there are good CE knives and tools out there, and the ones you're suggesting are interesting options for sure. I just like to be intentional with my acquisitions so I need to figure out where a CE bladed knife or tool may fit into my life - and from there I can work out which current offering might fit the bill.

I already have a Skeletool CX, so that one would be hard to justify. The Soldier is interesting in that it offers the serrations at the tip, and I currently don't have any 111mm SAKs. It's nothing that I need to have, but it certainly appeals more to my curiosity than another Skeletool with a slightly different blade.
From a usability point of view, I think a dedicated CE folder might be a safer choice, but I won't really know until I figure out what to use it for :)

us Offline cody6268

Reply #7 on: November 29, 2022, 09:41:27 PM
I'm in as well. They tend to be my choice for work knives, as well as multitools that have only one cutting blade.  For hawkbills, it's my preferred style, as the straight edge tip is still there for wire and cable stripping, but there are still serrations at the back for brush, rope, cardboard, whatever.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 30, 2022, 04:31:08 AM
Combo Edge Challenge 2/23-3/2/23
Participants

0. ElevenBlade (hosting)
1. Barry Rowland
2. Cody6286

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 18, 2022, 06:27:06 PM
:nanadance:

2nd Annual Combo Edge Challenge.  Put the combo edge blade that's been sitting in the back of a drawer to the test!

February 2023

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #10 on: December 20, 2022, 12:32:56 PM
I have it on good authority that Santa will bring me a Skeletool.  :tu:  Count me in!

0. ElevenBlade (hosting)
1. Barry Rowland
2. Cody6286
3. Fireman

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #11 on: December 20, 2022, 02:12:57 PM
 :ahhh Good to have you!!
Barry

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 03, 2023, 02:30:52 AM
Less than a month away!  Get that semi-serrated blade it's sea legs!

Preview of what's to come

I had an "admission ticket" sort of bracelet around my wrist, and had attached it with wiggle room at all.  After leaving the park, I decided to see how my Skeletool KBx would do with cutting it off. 

Since it was so tight, I couldn't risk a sawing motion of the blade without cutting myself.  So I slid it under the wristband all the way so the serrations were under the band.  I just pushed the serrations into the band, and each one popped through and broke it free without so much as a millimeter of movement too and fro. 

Tell your friends about all the fun we'll have.  The more the merrier!

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 08, 2023, 06:23:12 PM
Been pondering on this challenge for a few days. I looked through my pocket knives last night and realized I have gotten rid of all my combo-edged pieces. Then today I spent a few minutes scrolling through last years challenge. ( I never ever woulda considered eating Peeps with ketchup? )

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,87756.0.html

With all that said, I think I will round up a combo edge and join in.

0. ElevenBlade (hosting)
1. Barry Rowland
2. Cody6286
3. Fireman
4. GA1dad
Jason - N4RBZ- A Harley can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no Harley____O~`o__

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 09, 2023, 01:45:04 AM
Been pondering on this challenge for a few days. I looked through my pocket knives last night and realized I have gotten rid of all my combo-edged pieces. Then today I spent a few minutes scrolling through last years challenge. ( I never ever woulda considered eating Peeps with ketchup? )

0. ElevenBlade (hosting)
1. Barry Rowland
2. Cody6286
3. Fireman
4. GA1dad

Glad to have you GA1dad!   :cheers:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 09, 2023, 05:43:29 AM
So, does one have to pick a single combo edge blade to use for the duration of the challenge, or a different tool could used each day as long as they all had CE blades?

au Offline Echotech

Reply #16 on: January 09, 2023, 08:14:48 AM
I’d be keen but have the Rebar challenge in March…I could possibly start on January 31st but would still have one day crossover on 1st March

EB & Mods would this scenario be acceptable to you?
Thinking about it I could maybe start the Rebar challenge on 2 March and do it until 31st…..being in Australia we’re 19 hours ahead of the US west coast so wouldn’t be very out of sync

Please let me know

Thanks  :tu: :tu: :tu:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #17 on: January 09, 2023, 09:18:54 AM

0. ElevenBlade (hosting)
1. Barry Rowland
2. Cody6286
3. Fireman
4. GA1dad

A year later, and eating peeps with ketchup is still disgusting. :dwts:  Then again, eating peeps by themselves is disgusting.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #18 on: January 09, 2023, 03:22:54 PM
 :iagree:  I never acquired a taste for them.
Barry

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 11, 2023, 01:25:29 AM
So, does one have to pick a single combo edge blade to use for the duration of the challenge, or a different tool could used each day as long as they all had CE blades?

You can use as many different combo edge blades as you want.  Mix, match, use them all.  It's more about using this particular style of blade rather than one single blade for the challenge. 

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: January 11, 2023, 01:27:20 AM
I’d be keen but have the Rebar challenge in March…I could possibly start on January 31st but would still have one day crossover on 1st March

EB & Mods would this scenario be acceptable to you?
Thinking about it I could maybe start the Rebar challenge on 2 March and do it until 31st…..being in Australia we’re 19 hours ahead of the US west coast so wouldn’t be very out of sync

Please let me know

Thanks  :tu: :tu: :tu:

I think this came up last year, and the answer was 'yes'.  as long as its 30 days of each challenge. 

au Offline Echotech

Reply #21 on: January 11, 2023, 01:30:09 AM
Cool, count me in then :tu:

0. ElevenBlade (hosting)
1. Barry Rowland
2. Cody6286
3. Fireman
4. GA1dad
5. Echotech

:cheers:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: January 11, 2023, 01:39:32 AM
Cool, count me in then :tu:

0. ElevenBlade (hosting)
1. Barry Rowland
2. Cody6286
3. Fireman
4. GA1dad
5. Echotech

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 11, 2023, 01:41:33 AM
Just a friendly reminder that Skeletools, Signals, and Victorinox Soldiers and Trekkers are all fair game for the challenge.   :whistle:

fr Offline Frenchephaistos

Reply #24 on: January 13, 2023, 09:39:23 AM
OK, Count me in !

0. ElevenBlade (hosting)
1. Barry Rowland
2. Cody6286
3. Fireman
4. GA1dad
5. Echotech
6. Frenchephaistos

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #25 on: January 13, 2023, 04:28:07 PM
 :ahhh This is shaping up to be a good time!  :ahhh
Barry

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: January 17, 2023, 12:57:57 AM
 :tu:

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 27, 2023, 06:50:51 PM
Just a few more days now.  :salute:
Jason - N4RBZ- A Harley can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no Harley____O~`o__

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #28 on: January 27, 2023, 08:33:23 PM
 :ahhh.  I'm looking forward to it.  I think I'm going to carry my Opinel No 8 Outdoor and my butter blade Spirit. 
Barry

au Offline Echotech

Reply #29 on: January 28, 2023, 03:54:53 AM
:popcorn: :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30