Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Combo Edge Challenge 2/1-3/2/23

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Re: Combo Edge Challenge 2/1-3/2/23
Reply #60 on: February 01, 2023, 05:37:48 PM
Day 1

What I love about these challenges is that it forces me to carry a tool that I wouldn't carry otherwise.  I tend to just stick with my favorite tool and neglect all of the other tools in my collection.  So for this challenge, I'm going to carry a tool that I have been wanting to try for a long time - a Leatherman e307x.  I picked it up used about a year ago, but it has been just sitting in my collection unused since then.   :ahhh

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: February 01, 2023, 07:17:07 PM
Day 1

As I won a petzl SPATHA a few days ago I figured I'll start with that. I don't usually carry CB or a folding knife or any other than slipjoint. I'm a SAK guy so this will be interesting! Sadly day one isn't because it was locked up in my locker all day but last night I did cut the plastic on a new vinyl record but I don't have any action pics from that. But as I listened to the music I did play around with it and I think this will be fine. It sure is a light one!

20230201_190313.jpg
* 20230201_190313.jpg (Filesize: 117.23 KB)

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: February 01, 2023, 09:27:48 PM
Combo Edge Challenge
Day 1 of 30
Wenger Highlander

I'll be rolling with a Wenger Highlander for this challenge. Lightweight and super sharp.

* 20230201_093021 (686 x 515).jpg (Filesize: 74.54 KB)
Jason - N4RBZ- A Harley can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no Harley____O~`o__

fr Offline Frenchephaistos

Reply #63 on: February 01, 2023, 09:38:56 PM
Day 1

Just my usual PSTII, so not much of a challenge… yet.
I'll alternate with others as the days go by…  ;)

IMG_1154.jpg
* IMG_1154.jpg (Filesize: 86.89 KB)

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #64 on: February 01, 2023, 10:10:55 PM
DAY 1 at the beach.

day 1 (2).jpg
* day 1 (2).jpg (Filesize: 484.68 KB)

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #65 on: February 01, 2023, 10:36:27 PM
Day 1:

Chosen Combo: Victorinox 111mm GAK and Gerber Crucial Black (aka Police Special--seatbelt cutter replaces that useless carabiner)

The Crucial was my go-to small multitool for many years, and still is for some jobs. I bought it in 2017 after wanting a knife like the Skeletool, but with standard drivers. I like it as it's both a compact multitool and rescue knife in the same tool. GAK came from Barry a year or two ago, and replaced a 2013 Soldier I kinda ruined when I messed up sharpening the blade.   

GAK cut paracord to serve as curtain tie.  I had already made a set, but have no idea where the thing went.

Crucial was used to pull a nail. Part of the reason I retired the Crucial was its flimsy pliers vs. the only slightly heavier Rebar and Bond. However, it pulled this nail without a problem.

It was then used to relocate and drive a Phillips screw already in the wall a bit further down so it could hold the curtain on the right hand side. Another reason it's not used that much anymore is its super-stubby Phillips vs. the only slightly heavier Rebar and Bond.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: February 02, 2023, 12:02:19 AM
Day 1:

Good morning everyone! The Soldier 08 will be my companion for this challenge.

I actually picked up this knife on a bit of a whim, I was able to “cash in” some points through work. I didn’t like the look of anything else I could spend points on until I searched up Victorinox, and low and behold I had enough points to get a Swiss Champ and enough left over to also get a Soldier 08.

Fast forward a few months, the Swiss Champ has barely seen any use and the Soldier has been in my pocket almost daily! I am surprised how much I like the 111 mm size, and the utilitarian simplicity.

Happy challenge day 1 everyone!  :salute:

I'm a fan of the 111mm line as well.  I don't feel under-equipped with the blade at all, and the opener layer is a must-have for me.   :cheers:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: February 02, 2023, 12:05:14 AM
Day 1

What I love about these challenges is that it forces me to carry a tool that I wouldn't carry otherwise.  I tend to just stick with my favorite tool and neglect all of the other tools in my collection.  So for this challenge, I'm going to carry a tool that I have been wanting to try for a long time - a Leatherman e307x.  I picked it up used about a year ago, but it has been just sitting in my collection unused since then.   :ahhh

(Image removed from quote.)

I did half of this challenge with a Skeletool KBX last year, and I liked it more than I thought I would. I ended up carrying it for months hence.   :tu:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: February 02, 2023, 12:08:32 AM
Day 1

As I won a petzl SPATHA a few days ago I figured I'll start with that. I don't usually carry CB or a folding knife or any other than slipjoint. I'm a SAK guy so this will be interesting! Sadly day one isn't because it was locked up in my locker all day but last night I did cut the plastic on a new vinyl record but I don't have any action pics from that. But as I listened to the music I did play around with it and I think this will be fine. It sure is a light one!

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]

I'm sure it will come in handy.  As a SAK nut myself, I get wrapped up in the right tool for the job.  But a folding knife like this becomes a multitool in many ways.  And the Spatha has summited many mountains, so I'm sure it will serve you well. 

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: February 02, 2023, 12:10:08 AM
Combo Edge Challenge
Day 1 of 30
Wenger Highlander

I'll be rolling with a Wenger Highlander for this challenge. Lightweight and super sharp.

It sure looks sharp... the way the light hits it in the picture  :dd:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: February 02, 2023, 12:11:31 AM
Day 1

Theres a reason why tools like the PSII can last decades and be no worse for wear

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: February 02, 2023, 12:12:38 AM
DAY 1 at the beach.

:like:  Nice Topo pattern!

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: February 02, 2023, 12:15:36 AM
Day 1:

Chosen Combo: Victorinox 111mm GAK and Gerber Crucial Black (aka Police Special--seatbelt cutter replaces that useless carabiner)

The Crucial was my go-to small multitool for many years, and still is for some jobs. I bought it in 2017 after wanting a knife like the Skeletool, but with standard drivers. I like it as it's both a compact multitool and rescue knife in the same tool. GAK came from Barry a year or two ago, and replaced a 2013 Soldier I kinda ruined when I messed up sharpening the blade.   

GAK cut paracord to serve as curtain tie.  I had already made a set, but have no idea where the thing went.

Crucial was used to pull a nail. Part of the reason I retired the Crucial was its flimsy pliers vs. the only slightly heavier Rebar and Bond. However, it pulled this nail without a problem.

It was then used to relocate and drive a Phillips screw already in the wall a bit further down so it could hold the curtain on the right hand side. Another reason it's not used that much anymore is its super-stubby Phillips vs. the only slightly heavier Rebar and Bond.

That Crucial seems to be a pretty useful tool in a small package.  Looking forward to seeing more of both of these tools in the next few weeks   :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #73 on: February 02, 2023, 01:40:53 AM
It's like a large Hiker.  It's a very good tool set. 
Day 1:

Good morning everyone! The Soldier 08 will be my companion for this challenge.

I actually picked up this knife on a bit of a whim, I was able to “cash in” some points through work. I didn’t like the look of anything else I could spend points on until I searched up Victorinox, and low and behold I had enough points to get a Swiss Champ and enough left over to also get a Soldier 08.

Fast forward a few months, the Swiss Champ has barely seen any use and the Soldier has been in my pocket almost daily! I am surprised how much I like the 111 mm size, and the utilitarian simplicity.

Happy challenge day 1 everyone!  :salute:
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #74 on: February 02, 2023, 01:42:05 AM
 :like: It's great to see a PST II here!
Day 1

Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #75 on: February 02, 2023, 01:42:59 AM
I love the variety of knives and multi tools present!  :like:
Barry

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: February 02, 2023, 01:45:11 AM
It's like a large Hiker.  It's a very good tool set.

Exactly

I made this chart for another thread.  but I figured its worth a repost

* sizematters-collage2.jpg (Filesize: 91.98 KB)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #77 on: February 02, 2023, 01:47:37 AM
Nice job!
Barry

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: February 02, 2023, 03:24:19 AM
Day 2

Used the blade to cut some threads and tags. Still no difference to report. Mixing it up a little today by using the screwdriver to tighten up the screws on a chair back. So nice to be carrying a proper multitool again.
chair.jpg
* chair.jpg (Filesize: 155.91 KB)

au Offline Echotech

Reply #79 on: February 02, 2023, 03:51:00 AM
Day 3

Gerber paraframe (small version) quite a handy little knife

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: February 02, 2023, 04:55:05 AM
Nice day 1 everyone!

I'm sure it will come in handy.  As a SAK nut myself, I get wrapped up in the right tool for the job.  But a folding knife like this becomes a multitool in many ways.  And the Spatha has summited many mountains, so I'm sure it will serve you well.

I think so too and that is one of the benefits of challenges like this, you learn a lot of new stuff about yourself and the tools (hopefully)

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #81 on: February 02, 2023, 05:54:21 AM
I used the butter blade Spirit to open a bag of wood pellets for our pellet stove.
I should look into getting a pellet stove...or ensuring my fireplace is safe...I need something that can warm the house and isn't dependent upon the grid.

DAY 1 at the beach.
:like:

Y'awl are off to a great start! :tu:
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #82 on: February 02, 2023, 12:57:14 PM
This one does a decent job Dan.  It takes the chill off but you won't get overheated from it unless you are standing right next to it.  It's perfect for the kind of weather we've been having. 
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #83 on: February 02, 2023, 12:58:26 PM
Day 2:Some kitchen duty.  That serrated edge is a cutter!

* IMG_20230201_084800628-01.jpg (Filesize: 99.24 KB)
Barry

fr Offline Frenchephaistos

Reply #84 on: February 02, 2023, 02:40:12 PM
Day 2

Destroying cardboard at work.

IMG_1156.jpg
* IMG_1156.jpg (Filesize: 90.62 KB)

I would of course prefer going through it with a normal blade, but the CE blade on the PSTII does the job.

In fact, with some very heavy cardboards, I would say the serrated edge works better than expected, even if it probably isn't good for it IMHO. Knowing how to sharpen a CE quick and well isn't my strongest quality, so I usually try to avoid it all around.

I guess the objective here is to force me to learn some. Any tips ?  :facepalm:

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: February 02, 2023, 02:47:08 PM
Day 2

I would of course prefer going through it with a normal blade, but the CE blade on the PSTII does the job.

In fact, with some very heavy cardboards, I would say the serrated edge works better than expected, even if it probably isn't good for it IMHO. Knowing how to sharpen a CE quick and well isn't my strongest quality, so I usually try to avoid it all around.

I don't have any tips for sharpen a SB but cutting down cardboard are one of the few things other than bread that I choose a SB for

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: February 02, 2023, 02:56:38 PM

Combo Edge Challenge
Day 2 of 30
Wenger Highlander

Day 2 finds me using the Highlander to open up some parts packaging.

* Resizer_16753459944451.jpg (Filesize: 194.42 KB)
Jason - N4RBZ- A Harley can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no Harley____O~`o__

us Offline cody6268

Reply #87 on: February 02, 2023, 03:30:02 PM
Day 2:

Added the Walmart version of the Kershaw Funxion EMT for workhorse beater tasks.  The Walmart version downgrades to 3Cr13MOV from 8Cr14MOV, and moves from a rubber-inlaid aluminum handle to a textured FRN handle. Actually, I prefer the WM version to the fancy one because of that. Aluminum gets hot and cold!   I paid around $5 for it like-new from a seller on another forum who was trying to establish himself by starting out on bargain-basement prices on low-end but decent knives.  I love the fact it is a cheap knife but has Kershaw's Speedsafe assisted opening (which even on models without tip locks, has never opened on me by accident), as well as a fold-out strap cutter, something that normally is a common feature on closer to $200 Benchmades and Hogues than the $20 MSRP of this one.

(Actually, I carried this yesterday, lost it, looked a half-dozen places, and it finally showed up in the feed box of all places, half-buried).

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #88 on: February 02, 2023, 04:03:22 PM
Day 2

I find that you have to let the blade do the work. When using a combo edge for cardboard, pull the serrations through the cardboard without too much downward pressure. Once the serrations start the cut then push the plain edge down into the cut.

Otherwise, you have a plain edge that squeaks through the cardboard on the initial cut.  The combo edge gets through the initial part and widens the gap enough to push cut through the rest.

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: February 02, 2023, 04:20:18 PM
Knowing how to sharpen a CE quick and well isn't my strongest quality, so I usually try to avoid it all around.

That's the same reason I normally avoid combo blades.  Hopefully someone will post sharpening tips during this challenge.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%