Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Do you retire tools?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Do you retire tools?
on: November 30, 2022, 06:00:00 PM
I've heard this said about our tools.  I had to think if I've ever said it  :think:.  Do you retire tools? 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: Do you retire tools?
Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 06:07:03 PM
Oh yeah! Sometimes it’s time to just retire them, clean them up, and just put them on display!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 06:40:43 PM
Not really.
I tend to get decent tools, which means they'll last until either they break and need disposing of... or until I do.
Most of my woodworking hand tools were made before WW2. A few are modern ones, but I only resorted to them after Paul Sellers videos pushed the second-hand prices up to remortgage levels!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 06:54:56 PM
Some tools I have retired. I have my very first level from when I was an apprentice that hasn't been used in many years :tu: I would use if needed though :salute:

I have my first brick hammer from the same time that still resides in my tool bag though :cheers:

Those are just a couple of examples but I have tools that have made me money that I let rest but if I needed them then I would unretire them :D

Sentimental tools are similarly treated but there is less of a chance that they will be put back into service  :cheers:

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 02:47:20 AM
Not entirely. Some of them may go into semi-retirement if I upgrade or no longer need them. I'm more likely to find new homes for such tools than keep them around.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 07:05:37 AM
Not entirely as well. I’ll retire a tool when a better model comes along or it’s discontinued. But it goes to different stashes to save me time from getting my toolbox in the garage.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 03:21:34 PM
No, I sent them to a sweat shop :P

I have some turn-over with tools (though more so with knives and multitools than hand-/power-tools). I usually give them to someone else or put them on the curb with a free sign (I live across a 2nd hand shop, if all else fails I bring it to them).
So, it is less of a retirement but more a new and challenging work environment for them.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #7 on: December 01, 2022, 04:25:02 PM
I have quite a few tools that I am unlikely to use again, mostly because I have a better/easier to use/more convenient version, but I keep them just in case I might need them one day. 

If I am quite sure I won't ever need them I donate to somewhere else.  The last lot went to a local Mens shed, who were very happy to take a Radial arm saw and a home made Bench saw.

As far as MTs go, well I have rather a lot that I have never used (and probably never will), so I guess you could sort of call them "retired", but I regard them more as "collected" (well, until I sell them, anyway).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #8 on: December 02, 2022, 12:37:46 AM
I’ve had my PST since 1995 or 1996, and until the beginning of this year it was my only decent full size multitool (I’ve got a Squirt and I’ve had a few cheap crappy tools).

I decided to get a Bond to carry so my PST could stay safely at home, no risk of it getting lost or confiscated.

Then I got a Skeletool. And a Crunch. And a Supertool 300. And a Minitool. And a Raptor.  And three more Crunches. And a Mr Crunch. And a Free P4. And a Juice. And a Rebar that should arrive tomorrow.

And now I’ve carried the PST every day for a month for a challenge, and it’s done everything I’ve needed, so I didn’t even need to buy any of the others!

It’ll still get used occasionally, but I think it’s going to enjoy retirement around the house from now on, purely due to the sentimental attachment.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 02, 2022, 02:21:41 AM
I have a few that I don’t use or carry for sentimental reasons, but mostly it’s not so much a deliberate decision to retire a tool as simply that I get something better (or at least newer and shinier) that performs the same function or fills the same niche, and then I don’t use or carry the older tool much.

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #10 on: December 02, 2022, 03:28:25 AM
I have a few that I don’t use or carry for sentimental reasons...
Same with me.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 03, 2022, 10:25:35 PM
I was going to say no, and that I use all tools available until they are useless. But, actually thinking about it, that is not true. I do retire tools. Tools that are really old or of rare designs do get retired. Especially so if I have newer alternatives around, and there is no way of replacing the old one. For me there is a point where the practical usefulness is less than the value as interesting objects as such.

That said they can be brought out of retirement if needed.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: December 04, 2022, 03:55:37 PM
 :salute:  No tool formally gets retired but can enjoy some time off.  All tools should be ready to do work.   
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #13 on: December 07, 2022, 12:45:34 PM
Retire?! Dude, most of them never see the light of day!

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: December 07, 2022, 01:52:49 PM
:salute:  No tool formally gets retired but can enjoy some time off.  All tools should be ready to do work.   

:iagree:

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #15 on: December 07, 2022, 02:53:27 PM
Ive only retired one and it was my main point of buying it. LM Mini Tool. Centerpiece of my collection.  Got plenty others to do the dirty work, even multiples.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

england Offline Kev D

Reply #16 on: December 07, 2022, 03:09:12 PM
No, I just keep plenty of spares in drawers should I need them  :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: December 07, 2022, 03:29:35 PM
Retire?! Dude, most of them never see the light of day!

:facepalm:

:D
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56