Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Grip for multi tools

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
  • Pitbulls are people too
Grip for multi tools
on: October 05, 2022, 04:02:06 PM
  I apologize ahead of time if this has already been discussed on here. But I've been using multi tools for 20 years or so. And the slippery nature of these tools sometimes make me opt for regular tools instead. I've tried skateboard tape but it tears clothing up and it starts to come off easily. Any ideas that have worked for you guys?
Thank you in advance.
[

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Grip for multi tools
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2022, 06:18:06 PM
You might try a plastic, non-slip bathtub tape. It has waterproof (but removeable) adhesive, and has a grippy surface that's not as aggressive as skate tape.  Might even feel slightly spongy.  You can get it in strips or in a roll from a quality maker such as 3M. Cut it to fit your tool with a razer blade, or make 1/4 inch dots with a hole punch.  I don't know if it will work on a multitool but it works on tubs and tile and stair treads and is pretty durable.
You can always cut groves or divots or holes for traction with a file, drill, or cut-off wheel, but I hate to do permanent mods that I can't undo.

FarmerTedJoe

Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 12:42:42 AM

Leatherman 2.jpg
* Leatherman 2.jpg (Filesize: 429.72 KB)
       I have good luck with Plasti-Dip. It's a spray paint of sorts. I just tape off the tool and apply four coats to the handles. It will wear off fairly easily, but sheaths and pockets are the main source for wear, so I carry in an EDC Pouch. You'll get three months or more without a touch up if you do it that way and the grip is very tacky.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 12:51:47 AM by FarmerTedJoe »

us Online Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 01:53:44 AM
 [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]        I have good luck with Plasti-Dip. It's a spray paint of sorts. I just tape off the tool and apply four coats to the handles. It will wear off fairly easily, but sheaths and pockets are the main source for wear, so I carry in an EDC Pouch. You'll get three months or more without a touch up if you do it that way and the grip is very tacky.

That's interesting, FarmerTJ  :like:

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 06:22:17 PM
I’m probably talking b****cks
But most are made of stainless, could a knurling tool add the chequered finish?
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 06:25:38 PM
The PlastiDip idea is a good one  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Modern SAK

Reply #6 on: November 20, 2022, 11:00:04 AM
What multitool, man? Depending on the tool, you might be able to make thin handle scales that simply screw on with the original screws. Thin textured g10 maybe. Or some sheet metal with tiny holes punched through from underneath. You mighty have to get longer screws.

For me, sprays and tape won't work because I would want something permanent. And the stainless steel is never thick enough to really add texture to without sacrificing it's strength.

If there's one thing I have no faith in it's spray on Plasti dip. It ALWAYS rubs right off.

One idea is to really scratch up the handles with a Dremel or sandpaper, clean it real good, and cover it with two part epoxy. Wipe it away from the edges so there's nothing to start chipping away.

This leaves it open to all kinds of customization. You could dye the epoxy. You could add texture to the epoxy a thousand different ways, as it's drying out or after it's dry. You could put a thin coat on, then a cutout piece of paper with a picture on it, then more epoxy... You could mix sand into it. Or sprinkle sand on it. You could just apply small dots or lines of epoxy. The options are endless.

It really depends on the tool... Maybe your handles have recessed areas that could hold plastic dip without it peeling out as easily... Maybe there's an area in the handle that could actually have something wrapped around it without affecting the function. So... Idk man just brainstorming.

us Offline Modern SAK

Reply #7 on: December 11, 2022, 12:06:04 AM
I just soaked some multitool handles in ferric chloride (pcb etching solution) to darken the steel and it actually improved the grip. My multitool is made out of 5cr15 steel and it reacts with the etchant very well and quickly. Some other steels may not work as well. Test in an inconspicuous area.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%