Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman ARC Trademarked

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Leatherman ARC Trademarked
Reply #240 on: September 21, 2023, 04:27:37 PM
Terrific video thanks for that. 

Been lurking this thread mostly but now that I have a better idea of what this tool is about  :think:

The grey sheath pricing is what we have here folks  ;)

Magnacut is fine.  I'm going to be a jerk and say I'd rather something else  :whistle:.  It would appear the Free Series got some tweaking?  Powernoodles assessment in mind I am not hating this tool. 

When I switched from my Wave to Charge TT I also pretty much stopped carrying a dedicated folding knife.  My Charges S30V blade was more than enough for what I used a blade for.  The Magnacut is a nice touch on this MT  :tu:

I rather carry my MT in a sheath vs clipped in pocket.  I do like they gave they option by providing a clip.   :tu:

Can opener is a waste to me.  I get it, I also would prefer something else.  Chisel, gut hook/strap cutter, anything else really. 

Those scissors look like they cut nice ( video of cutting paracord ).  :tu:

I awl-ways appreciate an awl. 

I may be in the minority but I appreciate the micro driver and I like the bits on the regular bit holder.  Leatherman really needed to add the full bit kit tho and to be quite honest it would have been awesome to add a bit extender.  The cost of this MT seems to be able to support those additions. 

I'd imagine this tool would be considered against the Charge?  Premium steels for the main blade, and similar load outs? 

They grey sheath could be the deciding factor tho  :D   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #241 on: September 21, 2023, 04:43:46 PM
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #242 on: September 21, 2023, 04:48:49 PM
Can someone explain to me why we’re still seeing can openers on every single tool released? I may be in the minority here but I feel it’s practically useless.

I guess I'm in the minority, but mine sees a fair amount of use. The guy down the hall from me at work has borrowed it twice in the last month. My wife runs events at hotels, and someone often brings a snack or can of soup or whatever and has to borrow it. It's also great as a packager opener, and some of them have secondary uses like a screwdriver, hook, etc.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #243 on: September 21, 2023, 04:54:52 PM
Love me some LM diamond file so thats is great!  After looking at the comparison video I find this tool to be more refined tools wise.  Those wingman looking tools on the P4 vs those on the Arc to me are much better.  Not ground breaking developments but nicer than what was offered on the P4. 
Esse Quam Videri

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #244 on: September 21, 2023, 06:45:04 PM

Did anyone else get this email from Blade HQ that shows the other Free series as discontinued?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #245 on: September 21, 2023, 06:57:36 PM
So….Leatherman says they’re not discontinued. I wonder if Blade HQ is just dropping them.

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #246 on: September 21, 2023, 08:01:13 PM
So….Leatherman says they’re not discontinued. I wonder if Blade HQ is just dropping them.

From past experience, I would take anything that LM Customer Service tells me with a grain of salt.

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #247 on: September 21, 2023, 08:44:17 PM
I would take anything that LM Customer Service tells me with a grain of salt.

I queried Leatherman customer service recently about the Crunch, i.e., whether it was discontinued, because it becomes unavailable on the website for extended periods.  CS woman said she did not know, and that "they" only tell her a couple of days before it happens.  I thought customer service was "they", but I understand what she was saying.

Considering that the P4 and Arc are basically the same MT, I would not be surprised if the P4 were disappeared.  Leatherman, like Benchmade, has been inching toward premium pricing for several years, and killing a $149 P4 in favor of a $229 Arc would make sense in that environment.

The P4 is "currently unavailable" on the Leatherman website.  Its also unavailable on Amazon at the MSRP of $149, though you can get them for $198 - 249.  This lends a little credence to the notion that it is discontinued.  Blade HQ showing the P4 as discontinued is strong evidence that it really is.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 08:55:01 PM by powernoodle »
:doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #248 on: September 21, 2023, 09:30:27 PM
I remember asking LM Customer Service how many teeth their ratchet mechanism had on their ratcheting extension when it came out. After several go arounds of trying to convince her that ratchets have a tooth count, her final reply to me was “our ratchets would never bite anyone. Haha.”   I haven’t wasted my life contacting those imbeciles since.

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #249 on: September 21, 2023, 11:56:40 PM
I just got my ARC. This thing has the movements of a Rolex watch. I’m working to break the blade in. It won’t quite flick open yet.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #250 on: September 22, 2023, 12:24:09 AM
I remember asking LM Customer Service how many teeth their ratchet mechanism had on their ratcheting extension when it came out. After several go arounds of trying to convince her that ratchets have a tooth count, her final reply to me was “our ratchets would never bite anyone. Haha.”   I haven’t wasted my life contacting those imbeciles since.

:rofl:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #251 on: September 22, 2023, 12:25:00 AM
I queried Leatherman customer service recently about the Crunch, i.e., whether it was discontinued, because it becomes unavailable on the website for extended periods.  CS woman said she did not know, and that "they" only tell her a couple of days before it happens.  I thought customer service was "they", but I understand what she was saying.

Considering that the P4 and Arc are basically the same MT, I would not be surprised if the P4 were disappeared.  Leatherman, like Benchmade, has been inching toward premium pricing for several years, and killing a $149 P4 in favor of a $229 Arc would make sense in that environment.

The P4 is "currently unavailable" on the Leatherman website.  Its also unavailable on Amazon at the MSRP of $149, though you can get them for $198 - 249.  This lends a little credence to the notion that it is discontinued.  Blade HQ showing the P4 as discontinued is strong evidence that it really is.

I guess.I had better get to looking for a deal over on ebay for a used P4 before the prices go out of sight :facepalm:

us Offline Adam5

Reply #252 on: September 22, 2023, 01:02:13 AM
I guess.I had better get to looking for a deal over on ebay for a used P4 before the prices go out of sight :facepalm:

I'll sell you mine for $229  :tu:

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #253 on: September 22, 2023, 04:17:53 AM
Looks like Blade HQ still have the P4 in stock.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #254 on: September 22, 2023, 04:33:41 AM
I'll sell you mine for $229  :tu:

:twak: I said deal, not rip me off :pok: :D

us Offline Adam5

Reply #255 on: September 22, 2023, 02:01:37 PM
It is a soon-to-be discontinued tool. Look at some of the other discontinued tools, such as Mr Crunch or Darkside. Do you see how much they are going for on eBay? $229 is a bargain in my opinion  :tu:

Besides, I'll need the $229 to buy an ARC  :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #256 on: September 22, 2023, 04:01:51 PM
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #257 on: September 22, 2023, 04:07:21 PM

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #258 on: September 22, 2023, 08:10:54 PM
There is currently an ARC for sale on eBay for $9,999.99.  Free shipping though.

us Offline 0880

Reply #259 on: September 22, 2023, 09:21:50 PM
Ooh, free shipping! Gotta jump on it! LOL

Sent from my GS23 Ultra using Tapatalk

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #260 on: September 23, 2023, 12:32:25 AM
$229 for a Leatherman??? No way! ridiculous!
Enjoy!

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #261 on: September 23, 2023, 02:06:46 AM
$229 for a Leatherman??? No way! ridiculous!

When you look at the $250 fixed blade that they just put out $229 is sort of a bargain.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #262 on: September 23, 2023, 03:43:34 PM
 :iagree:

I am not understanding the fixed blade at all when the garage was supposed to be a creative lab of sorts?  :think:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #263 on: September 23, 2023, 09:09:23 PM
Colonel Poncho and I just commented on that exact thing in the Garage: 006 Harvest thread. 

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #264 on: September 23, 2023, 10:52:59 PM
For those posters who appreciate a good file on their multi tool, this might be the best one LM has ever made. It is real aggressive on the metal/wood side and the diamond is integrated like on the PST 2, Pulse, and Kf4. I’m seeing a lot of improved subtleties that explain the price.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 11:20:02 PM by genevabuck »

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #265 on: September 23, 2023, 11:17:42 PM
For those posters who appreciate a good file on their multi tool, this might be the best one LM has ever made. It is real aggressive on the metal/wood side and the diamond is integrated like on the PST 2, Pulse, and Kf4. I’m seeing a lot of improved subtleties that explain the price.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #266 on: September 24, 2023, 03:18:45 AM
I may end up with an ARC yet but it may be a bit after the release :cheers:

Cause I do love me a good file :drool: :D

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #267 on: September 27, 2023, 03:28:44 AM
For anyone with both an Arc and a Garage 5, how does the retention of the bit compare?

I’ve got a Garage 5 and find the spring holding it in place a bit weak.

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #268 on: September 30, 2023, 02:54:02 AM
I’ve finally had time to take a deep delve into my ARC. Leatherman’s choice of putting metric hex bits into the bit kit as opposed to standard is a bit puzzling/annoying.   The sheath is a major upgrade over the FREE series ones though.

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #269 on: September 30, 2023, 03:16:53 AM
I’ve finally had time to take a deep delve into my ARC. Leatherman’s choice of putting metric hex bits into the bit kit as opposed to standard is a bit puzzling/annoying.   The sheath is a major upgrade over the FREE series ones though.

Hi genevabuck,

An upgrade in what way for the sheath? Better build / better fit?
Have you tried cutting anything tough with the Arc wirecutters? I’d love to hear if they bind up like the P4 and P2 ones do.

Overall, are you a fan of it?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
December Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: $172.67
PayPal Fees: $9.54
Net Balance: $163.13
Below Goal: $136.87
Site Currency: USD