Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for a new multi tool…

us Offline SuzukiGS750EZ

Looking for a new multi tool…
on: April 19, 2022, 07:16:54 PM
Hey guys. I’ve owned:

-leatherman wave SS and B.O. (gave them away)
-Victorinox Swisstool (currently)
-Victorinox Swisstool Spirit X (currently)
-Leatherman Surge (stolen)
-Leatherman Charge TTI (currently)
-Buck bucktool (wore one out, gave other away)
-Leatherman Supertool 300 (currently)

I’d say in order of favorites it would be
-Swisstool spirit x
-Leatherman charge tti
-Victorinox Swisstool
-Leatherman supertool 300

The Swisstool x I like because of the form factor and having now come out with a one handed opening version with a clip I may pick that up. Besides that one, I’d like to get something different or maybe a step up in the tool department.
I don’t like the charge tti due to weight. Leatherman tools or at least the wave and charge seem to have the same load out so that’s redundant. The swisstool isn’t very comfortable for heavy gripping and it’s bulky. The supertool 300 seems lack luster but out of them all the only tool I feel comfortable loaning out. I saw SOG has some multi tools but I don’t know if they’re gimmicky or not. Leatherman seems to have all the same offerings they always have. Options?

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Looking for a new multi tool…
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022, 08:08:42 PM
I would definitely go for the one of the one-handed opening Spirits based off your comments.  It seems the most logical.

I don’t have much experience with SOG, but I’ve heard some good things especially about their newer lines.

us Offline SuzukiGS750EZ

Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 12:45:46 AM
I like the spirit and I plan to get it, but besides for that I don’t know what else to try. Is there any relevance to the sog “power”? Are their tools good. What I like about Leatherman are the slim pliers and bit driver. But I do like a dedicated Phillips and flathead as well.

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 20, 2022, 01:45:11 AM
You will do right with the  Spirit MX. As of SOG, I have the Powerlock model (both burnished stainless steel/ black oxide, one with scissors the other with the v-cutter) and love them for the smoothness which it opens (tools and pliers), the capability to buy extra tools and custom match them, and the "compound pliers": these are like a 2:1 ratio and cut/grip like no other, have a true needle nose tip, and are casted like Victorinox's (in which the casting allows the halves support each other while unbolting/unscrewing); best pliers head bar none. But the tools are mostly functional, none better than say Leatherman's; they are better than Gerber's (but not the combo or plain edge blade which is thin, flexes, and have a difficult-for-me-to-resharpen chisel edge but usuable nevertheless). I use it primarily for the pliers so I'm OK with its shortcomings, and are effective and functional tools for my use so, I could recommend it for up to medium  or once-in-in-while heavy duty use, but not regular heavy use as I would use the Super Tool 300 or a Surge.

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #4 on: April 20, 2022, 06:19:22 AM
My take on SOG: they can be gimmicky, but at least they try to do something new and different. Can't vouch for their quality. A SwissTool would likely be a solid choice, but if you want black oxide, the premium may sting. Any Leatherman would be a good choice. I'm currently torn between a Wave and another Rebar...
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

Offline DanaAcker

Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 06:29:34 AM
As to SOG quality, I carried a SOG Paratool daily for years. Never had a fail on any of the tools. It bit a hot 110 volt wire, and it walked away with a scar, but otherwise was unharmed, and remained completely useful for years after. Once I used the onboard saw blade to remove a part of the trunk of an evergreen Christmas tree. The company for which I worked, got a Christmas tree, whose trunk was too big in diameter for the tree stand. All the maintenance crew was out on calls, so, since I was known to carry lots of tools, I was on deck next. The trunk was about 8” in diameter and I had to remove about a 4” long section so it would fit the stand. As this was for the head office, and was on salary, it didn’t matter how long I took. The Paratool’s saw was anound 3–3.5”inch long. I sawed for awhile, then I rotated the tree and sawed down into the trunk again. This was repeated over and over again, until I had burned up most of a morning, and actually got through the trunk. It wasn’t easy, but it worked. The saw teeth were completely gunked up with pine resin, but with an alcohol soak, came out clean as new. I cannot speak to the quality of all of SOG’s tools, but my Paratool was A-OK. If you can pick one up on eBay, it wouldn’t be money ill spent. Now I do not recommend using a multi-tool saw to get through an 8” tree trunk, but it did do the job. Efficient? No; the wrong tool for the job. But when the right tool wasn’t available, the SOG did work.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 07:28:49 AM
You want new and different?  Get your name on the waiting list for a Gerber Dual Force.  It's a new model and still hard to find in stock anywhere.  It looks like a Gerber Center Drive but with a different, supposedly heavy duty plier head.   :cheers:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,87725.0.html

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 02, 2022, 07:25:44 PM
The Victorinox line has the best quality you'll find anywhere. Trying a SOG tool or something from the Gerber MP line would probably suit you well.

If you want I have a SOG Poweraccess or  the Flash MT I can send you if you want to try them out? If you can't try them out locally. PM me for details.

Otherwise, you already have owned some of the best tools imo.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #8 on: May 02, 2022, 08:47:13 PM
The Swisstool x I like because of the form factor and having now come out with a one handed opening version with a clip I may pick that up.

There is your winner.

With proper respect to Captain Demel, in my view the Victorinox lineup is way out in front in terms of design and manufacturing excellence.  Its not even close.  The Spirit I think hits a sweet spot on the size vs. utility scale, but that's a subjective thing.  Plus you get all outside opening tools which are mostly missing on the Leathermans. 

SOG used to be a worthy contender, but that past few SOG MTs I've purchased have been more of a parody of an MT than the real thing.  A main blade so thin I could have snapped it with my fingers, and a file so smooth that it was no file at all.  They weren't even trying to make a decent MT.  Maybe that's changed, but I've given up on them.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 02, 2022, 10:05:55 PM
There is your winner.

With proper respect to Captain Demel, in my view the Victorinox lineup is way out in front in terms of design and manufacturing excellence.  Its not even close.  The Spirit I think hits a sweet spot on the size vs. utility scale, but that's a subjective thing.  Plus you get all outside opening tools which are mostly missing on the Leathermans. 

SOG used to be a worthy contender, but that past few SOG MTs I've purchased have been more of a parody of an MT than the real thing.  A main blade so thin I could have snapped it with my fingers, and a file so smooth that it was no file at all.  They weren't even trying to make a decent MT.  Maybe that's changed, but I've given up on them.

I agree  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 03, 2022, 12:34:53 AM
The Swisstool x I like because of the form factor and having now come out with a one handed opening version with a clip I may pick that up.

If you like Leatherman-style one-hand opening tools, you're going to be disappointed in the new Swisstool-style one-hand opening blade - Victorinox just added a flange that very much feels like an afterthought, and it isn't very pocket friendly.

You should check out the Leatherman Free P2 or P4.

us Offline virkich

• New User
Reply #11 on: December 25, 2023, 07:14:48 PM
I'd definitely recommend checking out the Victorinox RangerGrip. It's got a shieldon LINK REMOVED with thicker, more grippy handles that make it a lot more comfortable for heavy-duty tasks. I've had mine for years and it's never let me down.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 07:46:26 PM by zoidberg »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD