Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hideout SAK in a nursing home.

cbl51 · 45 · 2600

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Re: Hideout SAK in a nursing home.
Reply #30 on: January 28, 2020, 05:36:59 AM
Brilliant story -

I love the rebel in Don - I am a kindred spirit myself - like many of us here!!

Some rules are just so stupid they should be broken :)

I am visiting a sports ground quite a lot at the moment
In Australia it is illegal to carry a knife at all - And at this ground they search your bags and also have a frisking metal detector .
But it's not up to the level of airport security - So a SAK always gets smuggled in to help with the packed lunch     >:D      :D 

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #31 on: January 28, 2020, 07:55:00 AM
I'd love to know how he hides it. May be facing similar situation in not too distant future.
Rich
See if you can get into Dons place Rich  :D start sewing secret pockets into your trousers.  :tu:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: January 28, 2020, 02:02:05 PM
Brilliant story -

In Australia it is illegal to carry a knife at all - And at this ground they search your bags and also have a frisking metal detector .
But it's not up to the level of airport security - So a SAK always gets smuggled in to help with the packed lunch     >:D      :D
That is some tight security!  :facepalm:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: January 28, 2020, 03:22:50 PM
Brilliant story -

WHAT?????

In Australia you can't carry ANY knife????

Thats unbelievable. What the heck are you supposed to do in an emergency if something needs to be cut?

Why do the citizens of Australia put up with that nonsense from their government? If a man has pants on, there should be a pocket knife in there. The one time in my life that I witnessed an auto accident that was an old Datsun that rolled and the was upside down. The seatbelt wouldn't release and we couldn't get the driver out, and there was a fire starting in the engine compartment from the battery shorting out against the greasy engine block. The seat belt had to be cut, and there was a nice sharp pocket knife on hand. Without that pocket knife she may have died in the car waiting for the rescue crew to arrive.

Maybe its time for a bit of rebellion down under??? This is the land that the ANZAC's came from. And The Australian light horse that took Beersheba. It was Australians that shot down the Red Baron.  Crocodile Dundee! 
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: January 28, 2020, 05:11:45 PM
Different countries, different rules! Our biggest reality slap was at the airport!  :facepalm:

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: January 29, 2020, 02:35:16 PM
Brilliant story -

May we assume this is a leftover from the penal colony days?  :whistle:   >:D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: January 29, 2020, 02:40:47 PM
Different countries, different rules!

:tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #37 on: January 29, 2020, 03:01:01 PM
Great story and you go sir!
 :climber:
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Offline SamuelJeremy

• New User
Reply #38 on: December 09, 2022, 03:10:04 PM
Good story. I am impressed with people like Don. The main thing is not to give up and not to expect mercy from others.

Offline Miles42

Reply #39 on: December 10, 2022, 02:27:55 AM
I am 80 and lucky enough to not need assisted living so far. If I do ill be taking my SAK with me.

au Offline floppy

Reply #40 on: December 10, 2022, 05:42:01 AM
WHAT?????

In Australia you can't carry ANY knife????

Thats unbelievable. What the heck are you supposed to do in an emergency if something needs to be cut?

Why do the citizens of Australia put up with that nonsense from their government? If a man has pants on, there should be a pocket knife in there. The one time in my life that I witnessed an auto accident that was an old Datsun that rolled and the was upside down. The seatbelt wouldn't release and we couldn't get the driver out, and there was a fire starting in the engine compartment from the battery shorting out against the greasy engine block. The seat belt had to be cut, and there was a nice sharp pocket knife on hand. Without that pocket knife she may have died in the car waiting for the rescue crew to arrive.

Maybe its time for a bit of rebellion down under??? This is the land that the ANZAC's came from. And The Australian light horse that took Beersheba. It was Australians that shot down the Red Baron.  Crocodile Dundee!

It’s not true that we can’t carry a knife at all. Otherwise why would we be able to buy them readily?

It sounds like he works at one of the major sporting grounds, they have tight security for crowd safety. Usually they don’t allow glass bottles either to reduce broken glass injuries. Perhaps he meant to say “in Australia it’s illegal to carry a knife at one of these sports grounds.”

There are laws intended to target knife crime rather than the enjoyment of hobbyists or people who use them for legitimate reasons, both of which in my own experience are largely unhindered if you’re not behaving like you’re on meth or starting fights out the front of the pub. It’s actually pretty relaxed here, on the whole. I’m vaguely aware there’s some kind of blade length rule, I have no idea what it is, I don’t really care and neither do most people really.

With respect it does feel a bit jarring to have Americans tell us what we should do. I think it’s the assumptions being made. You’ve got to understand that we are different people with a very different cultural outlook. Knife and gun carrying culture is not really a big thing here and never will be. From our perspective it is a very hyped up and charged environment in the US and we don’t actually aspire to emulate it here - quite the opposite.

People have, and use, camping knives, multitools, SAK’s etc no worries. I wouldn’t go out for a big night on the town carrying a large knife (why would anyone). But otherwise I’ve never ever been hassled about carrying or using a pocket knife anywhere including the city.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 07:02:31 AM by floppy »

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: December 10, 2022, 02:00:43 PM
Great story - thanks for sharing!  :cheers:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #42 on: December 11, 2022, 01:48:45 AM
Hey Floppy,

I agree with you in evrerything you say about relaxed attitude, being sensible and not getting hassled etc etc
However technically it is illegal to carry any knife in (at least) NSW  - Unless you have good reason - I should have mentioned that.
..... and I know same for Tassie - in fact stricter there. 
See this:
https://legislation.nsw.gov.au/view/html/inforce/current/act-1988-025#sec.11C

I guess the onus, if ever you were challenged, is to show that you have good reason to carry a knife - as explanied in the text.

And also agree it's weird that knives can be bought easily in shops ........ and also imported -
Although I have heard of knives being confiscated by Border Security - Never happened to me though and I have bought loads through ebay and other websites.

us Offline SamuelJeremy

• New User
Reply #43 on: December 12, 2022, 05:08:51 PM
Good story. I am impressed with people like Don. The main thing is not to give up and not to expect mercy from others. Don reminded me of my friend's grandfather. The friend wanted his grandfather to be closer to him but found through a home for seniors he liked only in a neighboring town. To which Grandpa responded calmly and was even somehow emboldened to find like-minded people there to reminisce. A friend was there every weekend, and each time he brought back a new adventure from his grandfather. The "smuggled" pocketknife is only a tiny part of the adventures of the restless grandfather. Well, let him come up with something new with his sharp mind.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 06:37:47 PM by Aloha »

us Offline psyjohn

Reply #44 on: December 14, 2022, 02:33:20 AM
Wonderful story, thank you for sharing.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41