Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The October 2022 EDC Fixed Blade Challenge

Alan K. · 873 · 15057

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: The October 2022 EDC Fixed Blade Challenge
Reply #870 on: December 12, 2022, 05:49:17 PM
I'm glad you found the Vertebrae usable. Unfortunately, the scabbard has commonly been mentioned as the least favorite aspect of this knife according to several online reviews I saw. I think the extra long pocket clip was due to the Vertebrae being handle heavy.  If they had a pocket clip that was just the height of the scabbard then the knife being handle heavy would want to roll out of the pocket and hang upside down. :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh  It might have been better if they just made a deep leather sheath that the knife fit down into, the kind that covers most of the handle.  It's an EDC knife for daily carry.  It will never be confused for a combat knife, but trying to make everything they make appear (at least somewhat) tactical seems to have been Gerber's gimmick for the last 20 years.  In this case they may have taken it too far. :dunno:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #871 on: December 12, 2022, 06:32:40 PM
 :iagree:, must say though the baby blue handles do make it a pretty bench knife.
And, with the engraving an attractive mantle piece for me😀
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #872 on: December 12, 2022, 09:24:23 PM
Since the end of the challenge I ordered myself another Schrade Sharpfinger.  I was thinking to replace the sheath I had but found a new knife in the leather sheath was about the same price as just the leather sheath from most of the sellers on the bay.  Comparing my old U.S.A. made Sharpfinger 152 to the new Chinese made 152OT there are subtle differences.  First the Chinese knife is made of a cheap stainless while the U.S. Sharpfinger is an unknown high carbon. The blade on the U.S. knife has smooth transitions but the Chinese knife has hard lines. It's kind of like comparing a flat grind to a sabre grind, and the new knife also has a pronounced heel or sharpening stop.  The handle on the old knife is very comfortable, with rounded edges but there are hotspots all over the wider handle of the new knife. It is so noticeable that I'm considering sanding the corners off the handle.  I don't think it's just the difference of years of use either.  I think the new knife's handles are just molded blockier than the original's saw cut Delrin.  If anyone of you bought a Sharpfinger due to this challenge and found it uncomfortable that is something you might want to consider as well. :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%