Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bent axe head

Offline connor31556

• New User
Bent axe head
on: December 15, 2022, 05:42:18 AM
Saw this axe at an outdoor tool shop and had to get it. Didn't realize the head was bent until when I got it home tonight. Don't know how well the pictures describe it, but on one side, it is flat, and the other is sort of cupped. Does anyone have any ideas for how to straighten it out before re-hanging it?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Re: Bent axe head
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 09:49:18 AM
Looks like a hewing axe. Designed to make flat sides on beams and planks of wood.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 15, 2022, 07:07:51 PM
I agree with Taz.  The tip geometry is more shaping cut than chopping cut. It's a right handed hewing axe and it might have some collector value since you won't find many in current production. :cheers:

Offline connor31556

• New User
Reply #3 on: December 16, 2022, 09:48:45 AM
Ah. That makes a lot more sence, thank you, for answering my dumb question.

Offline connor31556

• New User
Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 05:05:55 AM
I agree with Taz.  The tip geometry is more shaping cut than chopping cut. It's a right handed hewing axe and it might have some collector value since you won't find many in current production. :cheers:
Follow-up question: any tips on how to hang a hewing axe? It's a 9" blade, so I'm not quite sure how long the handle should be or how angled it should be towards the end, any tips on where I should look to buy a handle for it either?

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 17, 2022, 10:02:23 PM
No idea.  I guess you could Google axe restoration speSmurfpillsts.  At least that's as good a place to start as any.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 18, 2022, 11:49:22 PM
I have never had nor rehung a hewing axe. Is there something wrong with the existing handle?

Do a search for hewing axe handles. theres a seller on eBay, but you need to confirm eye shape and size for your head.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/380762452882

Offline connor31556

• New User
Reply #7 on: December 19, 2022, 12:36:00 AM
I have never had nor rehung a hewing axe. Is there something wrong with the existing handle?

Do a search for hewing axe handles. theres a seller on eBay, but you need to confirm eye shape and size for your head.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/380762452882
The handle on it now is not bent at all, not to mention it is being held on using epoxy, from what I have seen it should be bent, like in that link you sent, thank you for that btw that might end up going with it if I can't find anything more nearby.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD