Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Got some new pants..... Tactical pants.

Aloha · 59 · 2525

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Got some new pants..... Tactical pants.
Reply #30 on: April 09, 2020, 05:24:59 PM
The cargo pockets have a top flap that is held closed by velcro.  You can see mine as worn pretty good.  There is a keeper within the pocket that is great for my keys or whatever you want "secure".  The pocket flap has a hole in the center that you can drop something into pocket without opening flap. 

Lots of room in these cargo pockets.  I put water bottles and cliff bars.  My Maxpedition 3X5 notebook.  I've jammed a lot into these pockets.   

I hope that answered your question. 
IMG_0528.jpg
* IMG_0528.jpg (Filesize: 224.2 KB)
IMG_0529.jpg
* IMG_0529.jpg (Filesize: 228.57 KB)
IMG_0530.jpg
* IMG_0530.jpg (Filesize: 206.84 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #31 on: April 09, 2020, 05:40:55 PM
Ain't nothing wrong with tactical pants! I’m just not a huge fan of the leg pocket,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: April 09, 2020, 05:44:43 PM
No? 
Esse Quam Videri

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: April 09, 2020, 05:53:52 PM
I don’t like whatever bouncing around normally next to the knee, I’m sure if I started wearing them all the time and putting something in the pockets I could get used to it, kinda like what I did with the other back pocket,
The Mrs had me a custom notebook made so rather then just the hanky I put that in the other back pocket plus figured it would kinda counterbalance the wallet and help the back, at first ABSOLUTELY drove me nut at first but now can’t even tell..
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: April 09, 2020, 06:01:05 PM
These cargo pocket are just above the knee.  When loaded the items do bounce for sure.  Its not terrible but I can see how for some it would be a deal breaker.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: April 09, 2020, 06:49:03 PM
I mean those other ones I posted way back are great, no pocket besides a pad holder on the inside, so for someone who had to keep kneeling on concrete was great, but the best is the fact that half the leg zippered off and turned them into shorts,
Now if the had a unique cargo pocket which when you zipped off the bottom half of the leg you could put them into, that would have been smart!
JR

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: April 10, 2020, 01:54:02 AM
I'm in the market for some new clothes...

The last two pairs of trousers I bought had 1% Elastane....I didn't realise it at the time, and whilst I'll "live with it" the feeling of the pants stretching and gripping everywhere drives me nuts. Never would have done it on purpose, and will be paying extra attention in future to avoid it happening again. I don't know if it's availability of materials, sales data, or focus groups, but it appears that the majority of trousers (especially denim ones) are now "stretch fit"

ANYWAY, I've never been big on "tactical" pants, or even "technical" pants, I tend to find them underwheming, overpriced, and they're sold in the sort of shops I don't generally go to.

My "preferred" leg covering (other than a skirt ahem, kilt) is https://www.hardyakka.com.au/men/pants/legends-pant-131.html#80=69&142=4451

They've evolved continuously since first released in around...2006? The originals were very different from the workwear dominating the market at the time. Aside from all kinds of funky speSmurfpillsed pockets they had a thicker waistband (to suit heavier belts) a duck/panama weave instead of twill, and reinforcing up the wazoo on all the pockets, buttons, crotch etc - everywhere the old pants used to fall apart. I imagine a fair chunk of the designs were stolen from foreign markets, but nothing was being produced locally of that style at the time.

They added a cordura/nylon patch pocket you can put foam kneepads in if you wish.

I think they're up the 4th generation or so - as well as stitching reinforcing there is backing/layers on the stress points (the curse of engineering - reinforce what used to be the weak point, find a new weak point...) a gusset in the crotch, extra panels to "shape" the rear of the trousers, and avoid the dreaded "plumbers crack", and "biker" knees (sewn with a slight bend in the leg) so that kneeling, crouching, or bending is "natural" for the trousers and you don't get all the extra material catching and bunching as you move (normal jeans will tend to bunch up in a nice hot sweaty friction ball in your back-knee.)

The main draw card for me is the square woven fabric - I find it much more appealing (in feel and flexibility) than twill - but not many manufacturers seems to like it.

OFF TOPIC - Originally this company, and it's local competitors were Australian Owned and Made, in under two decades there were all bought up by a single (semi Australian) company and owned by them - manufacturing was sent off shore (Taiwan, then China) in 2016 it was bought by a USA company (Hanes) and now it's manufactured in Bangladesh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tfjJcLmyfY

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #37 on: April 10, 2020, 03:24:30 AM
Those pants look like the kind I'd like to wear.

I used to buy hiking trousers from Fjällräven or Lundhags.  The ones from Fjällräven are a bit more durable, but the Lundhags ones are by far the most comfortable pair of trousers I've ever worn. 

They have subtle pieces of stretch fabric on the back of the knees and on your backside, and when you have to raise your leg to climb up a high ridge, there's nothing pulling or pinching.

But, they both went up in price year by year, up to the point that they are ridiculously expensive, I mean prices from 150 to 200 Euro for a pair of trousers is insane (Fjällräven even has trousers that go up to 400-500 Euro 🙄).

Anyway, some of them also have that hole in the pocket flap, I've heard that this was so you could roll up your topomap and put it in the hole, so it's in the pocket and sticking out the top through the hole (some of my Fjällräven winter troussers even have a dedicated map pocket), I also use the hole in the pocket flap to carry a Mora Companion, just drop the Mora through the hole and clip it with the belt clip on the pocket flap.

Works great in winter, so you don't have to lift up your winterjacket and fleece etc. to get to your knife on your belt.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: February 02, 2021, 06:06:19 PM
I'm back with few new reports on my LAPG as they continue to perform wonderfully.  I think I may have mentioned I bought a few more pair of these very nice pants.  I appreciate the small deletion of the logo on the leg, moved to the back waist band.  I cannot tell if that was it as they appear otherwise to be the same. 

I did notice however that when I got splashed with water they had some kind of water repellence to them.  That was nice tho since washing them I haven't noticed it as much. 

I also got some 5.11 pants that are more like "jeans" ( pant # 74251 ) which are nice for yard work and such.  Lots of pockets means lots of stuff I can carry saving trips to the garage.....  Ok who am I kidding, I just like to carry my fun things. 

I did however finally get some 5.11 pants ( #74273 ).   I am loving the slash back pockets.  I also dig the little pocket in front with velcro.  I have worn these a few times and so far I am really liking the a lot.  We'll see how well these hold up as compared to my LAPG which I wear every day for work and the 5.11 74273s will be worn only for off days and the 74251 for yard work. 

IMG_1963.jpg
* IMG_1963.jpg (Filesize: 167.37 KB)
IMG_1964.jpg
* IMG_1964.jpg (Filesize: 235.82 KB)
IMG_1956.jpg
* IMG_1956.jpg (Filesize: 147.58 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: February 02, 2021, 06:23:07 PM
I bought a bunch of pants from them back in the day because we had to wear khakis, some I have still brand new, and since I don’t have many shorts I ended up just trimming them, I was like perfect! I actually took a before and after pic,,
JR

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: February 02, 2021, 06:32:59 PM
 :like:  Nicely done. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: February 02, 2021, 07:11:51 PM
:like:  Nicely done.
Thanks, the advantages of watching your grandma in the younger years and having a sewing machine,,
JR

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: February 02, 2021, 07:17:34 PM
 :salute: Bet you glad you watched.  Mine was chasing and fighting sailors so at least I learned one of the two  :whistle:
Esse Quam Videri

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: February 02, 2021, 08:00:18 PM
:salute: Bet you glad you watched.  Mine was chasing and fighting sailors so at least I learned one of the two  :whistle:
When my grandfather was over in D-day, my grandmother was doing all the sewing, after he returned he built a house from scratch, and from what she learned on sewing she had her own little sewing setup, people would come over to have thing trimmed or fixed, or even made from scratch, in the mean time in the basement my grandfather had an entire shop setup, so when I was a kid I used to spend a lot of time over there since we even lived there for a few years, so I learned a few things, heck I just fixed a hole in one of the Mrs socks, lol..
JR

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: February 02, 2021, 08:02:37 PM
My grandma was a great cook.  I learned that for sure.  She's was also very thrifty as she put it and that was also learned.  Your g'ma sounded like a terrific woman. 
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #45 on: February 02, 2021, 09:10:06 PM

Lemme guess, the chasing part, right?...

:whistle:

:D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #46 on: February 02, 2021, 09:16:39 PM
My grandma was a great cook.  I learned that for sure.  She's was also very thrifty as she put it and that was also learned.  Your g'ma sounded like a terrific woman.
My grandma was also a nut in the kitchen, thus where I get my fabulous chicken parm from :whistle: but when I used to watch I’d get yelled at by my grandfather telling me to get out of the kitchen, that’s the women’s job!
JR

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: September 10, 2021, 07:02:13 PM
LA Police gear pants are holding up awesome.  I've also picked up several more 5.11 pants.  I am really loving these pants.  The 5.11 are so comfortable and cool in our heat and humidity.  I'd have thought the fabric would be hot and sweaty.  I love the extras like the pockets.  I was never a cargo pants wearer on my off days or really any other time in my life.   I wore Dickies and Jeans for work and off days mostly jeans.  Now I wear the 5.11 pants cute quite a bit. I think I have 10 or 12 pairs now. 
IMG_3180.jpg
* IMG_3180.jpg (Filesize: 317.46 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #48 on: September 11, 2021, 08:07:42 AM
I wore jeans for a number of years...first Levi's, and then Carhartts after I had too many issues with the durability of Levi's. After Carhartt discontinued my favorite jeans, I switched over to tactical pants. My first were First Tactical V-2 (okay), followed by Galls G-TAC (subpar). Tru-Spec 24/7 are my current favorite. I'm happy to elaborate if anyone would like.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #49 on: September 11, 2021, 05:17:40 PM
 :tu:  I have a pair of TruSpec as well.  They are nice but I prefer the 5.11s.   I'll have to see which TruSpec I have.  I would have not thought I would be a tactical pant wearer but here I am and I love them.  I do have some Wranglers that I also like.  I also picked up a pair or Wrangler Riggs.  Those are pretty nice as well. 

I wont be wearing Levis any long as they got so thin and dont last.  I got the Wranglers from wallyworld and they are much thicker jean.  We'll see how they hold up but since I am wearing the 5.11s so much they might not get as much wear time.  I also disliked the belt loops on Levi as compared to the Wranger.  I very much like the loops on my 5.11s. 

Those LA police gear are pretty darn nice and for the price  :tu:.  I wear the heck out of them.  Bent knees on all types of floors, up and down ladders and across roof tops.  Heat of SoCal and in many cases getting hit with water.  I keep a maxpedition 5x8 note book cover in my cargo pocket plus a bunch of other things in the other pockets.  They've taken a beating so I bought more for work. 

The 5.11 are a thinner material which is nice. While I wouldn't say the LAPG pants are hot I would say the 5.11s are cool wearing. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #50 on: September 12, 2021, 12:43:16 AM
I haven't tried anything 5.11 yet. Maybe one day I will. Finding a pair or tactical pants that doesn't have really wide belt loops would be nice. That's one thing about the Tru-Specs that I don't like: they offer no good place to attach a carabiner (unless it's really wide). Still, I find no carabiner attachment point preferable to the D-rings on the Galls. Carabiners attached in that manner really bug me.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #51 on: December 21, 2022, 05:47:28 PM
I began this thread with LA Police Gear pants.  I couldn't be happier with the purchase of them.  It was my foray into tactical pants.  I do have to say tho, I thing the naming "tactical" is off.  While I can understand certain fields like pants of this type they certainly aren't that for me.  I also see them more as evolved cargo pants.

So the green pair in my reply 11 were worn the most of all the pants.  I like green.  They were the first to show wear.  I talk about it at about the year mark.  I then follow up to ask how long will these pant survive? 

I'm here late but I have to say the green pair is still alive.  They no longer are used for work tho they could.  I use them for gardeing and things around the house.  I blew out the rear last year.  I sewed them and they are good to go for what I use them for. 

All said and done they lasted as work pants for roughly 4 years.  That might not sound like much for some.  This is kneeling onto a wide variety of surfaces.  Up and down ladders across many roof tops.  Squeezing between brush, along stucco, concrete, wood, etc.  Stuffing the pockets with tools.  Bending and stooping constantly.

Because I liked these pants so much I also used them to hike in.  They got double duty.  I'm not even counting those times.   

I'd wear out Dickie work pants in a year.  Dickie jeans lasted about that as well.

In about 2019 I realized how much I liked these style pants and my journey into "tactical" pants began.  Another story I guess. 

I can fully recommend these LA Police Gear Pants.  I don't know what the current price is but I'm sure its worth it.  I am not getting paid nor sponsored or anything.  I am giving you my honest feedback. 

I only wear these pants for work as I now have 5.11s and other "tactical" pants for off days or hiking.  The green pair served me well and will continue to do so at home in my yard. 

* IMG_7183.jpg (Filesize: 124.66 KB)

* IMG_7184.jpg (Filesize: 136.4 KB)

* IMG_7185.jpg (Filesize: 136.67 KB)

* IMG_7186.jpg (Filesize: 142.25 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #52 on: December 21, 2022, 05:49:14 PM
My sew job.  hahaha, don't judge.   :rofl:

* IMG_7187.jpg (Filesize: 110.05 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #53 on: December 21, 2022, 05:49:45 PM
Great review and testimonial !   

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #54 on: December 21, 2022, 05:54:35 PM
Thank you. 

I stopped wearing jeans for work fairly soon after getting these pants.  I only now wear jeans on my off days BUT I mostly wear "tactical" pants. 

I am not a fan of that name tho.  I get it but I'll disagree.  Cargo pants is what my kids call them. 
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline Echotech

Reply #55 on: December 22, 2022, 09:16:48 AM
Gotta love pants with loads of pockets   8)
Great honest review  :like: those pants have definitely done well, impressive

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #56 on: December 22, 2022, 03:33:50 PM
I didn't know what I didn't know.  These style pants are terrific and very comfortable.  I thought in my hot weather they'd be "sweaty" but I did not experience that. 

I had a quick look at the site and these pants are now 37.99 on sale.  I also got mine on sale at the time.  Seems theres a revolving sale? 

I'm not current on prices for similar style pants.  I'd still say at the price these were well worth it.   

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sos24

Reply #57 on: December 23, 2022, 12:46:09 AM
I would agree that they are well worth it, because that is a real good price nowadays.

I don’t wear tactical pants (because I don’t usually wear pants), but I wear tactical shorts most of the year.  My favorite are Propper Summerweight Tactical Shorts.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #58 on: December 23, 2022, 02:43:22 AM
Nice.  On off days I wear 5.11s but for the price I'd rather beat up the LA Gear pants for work. 

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD