Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multitool knife on Etsy

Adam5 · 10 · 3227

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Multitool knife on Etsy
on: December 27, 2022, 12:51:19 AM
Take the Ozark Trail 15 in 1 multitool sold at Walmart:

Take off the handle containing the PE knife blade, swap out the file with the bottle opener/straight driver, install the pocket clip, then sell it on Etsy:

It is probably an improvement overall. One I might try out myself.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Multitool knife on Etsy
Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 07:24:19 PM
Well, it depends. How much more does it cost in Etsy?

:think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Adam5

Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 10:47:55 PM
$16 for the full MT at Walmart.
$40 for the single handle tool on Etsy.

If someone has some ability to perform simple modifications, they should buy the MT from Walmart.

I endorse the idea of converting the MT into a MT knife. I am not endorsing the idea of selling them on Etsy, but if the buyers are happy (and 2 people have bought it) then I see no problems.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: December 28, 2022, 04:52:24 PM
Crazy for that much of an uncharge :o nice looking knife though :cheers: and I may have to try this myself :facepalm: not the selling but the modding :D

us Online cody6268

Reply #4 on: December 29, 2022, 02:50:54 PM
$16 for the full MT at Walmart.
$40 for the single handle tool on Etsy.

If someone has some ability to perform simple modifications, they should buy the MT from Walmart.

I endorse the idea of converting the MT into a MT knife. I am not endorsing the idea of selling them on Etsy, but if the buyers are happy (and 2 people have bought it) then I see no problems.

Or spend anywhere from the same to only about $15-20 more on an LM Free T-Series that will probably hold up longer?   I had one of these for about a year (as it appeared to me to be a badge-engineered version of the Work Pro I beat the crap out of and use semi-abusively; but with a handy pocket clip, something the hefty Work Pro lacked), and the clip snapped off. Still have got it, and am keeping it as spares in case something on the Work Pro breaks.

My experience with low-end tools has been that the scissors tend to stink, the files are even bad at being a fingernail file, and the drivers are highly polished (and slip) and/or soft.

Speaking of that, I think I'll try this. I'm only out like $15 if I mess this up, and if I get it right, I'll have something like a LM Free T4 at a quarter of the cost.

us Offline Adam5

Reply #5 on: December 29, 2022, 04:54:40 PM
The best I can say for the MT is that the scissors are decent and the knife blade is okay. Those are the 2 parts I used last year for a couple of mods. The other parts remain unused and probably will never be used.

However, I do think it is worth the $16 to convert it into a knife.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #6 on: December 29, 2022, 07:04:22 PM
For some reason it seems that my Walmart has quit carrying the OT knives.  Haven't seen any since last year's supply issues.

Might have to order one though, just for fun, to go with my multiforce knife.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #7 on: December 31, 2022, 03:35:24 AM
I have that Walmart tool, and you can get a better quality tool from Amazon for about the same price and mod it the same way, not that I am a modder myself! Better yet, Amazon has tools like that already for about 20-25.00 and they are very good quality tools for the price. I own a few of them! That Walmart multitool is pretty mediocre in my opinion.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #8 on: January 02, 2023, 01:35:57 AM
I have that Walmart tool, and you can get a better quality tool from Amazon for about the same price and mod it the same way, not that I am a modder myself! Better yet, Amazon has tools like that already for about 20-25.00 and they are very good quality tools for the price. I own a few of them! That Walmart multitool is pretty mediocre in my opinion.

My only problem with the multitool/knives that are available is that they almost always have tools that I don't want.  The ones that I've seen seem to have a saw as well as a one piece can/bottle opener, which I don't care for.   If I do the OT mod it'll only have the tools that I want.
I've already done the multiforce mod and am well pleased with the outcome.

* half mf2.jpg (Filesize: 188.04 KB)
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #9 on: January 02, 2023, 04:30:06 PM
My only problem with the multitool/knives that are available is that they almost always have tools that I don't want.  The ones that I've seen seem to have a saw as well as a one piece can/bottle opener, which I don't care for.   If I do the OT mod it'll only have the tools that I want.
I've already done the multiforce mod and am well pleased with the outcome.

I prefer your version. Nice work!

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD