Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Garage 4

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Re: Leatherman Garage 4
Reply #90 on: February 07, 2023, 06:13:02 PM
Mine is on order  :woohoo:

This is the first garage release that doesn't excite me.  Cork screws are one of the most ridiculous tools on a multitool.  I am a wine drinker and have opened countless wine bottles in my life, and I have never once needed a corkscrew on any multitool.  Still, since I have the first three garage tools, I couldn't pass it up.  $125 is fairly inexpensive considering our current economy.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #91 on: February 07, 2023, 06:14:55 PM
And they're gone! I wonder if we'll see any of these tools on a T/K Series down the road. They haven't offered a can opener on one yet AFAIK.

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #92 on: February 07, 2023, 06:29:28 PM
I was still on the fence when my boss called and needed me to bring some jumper cables.I arrived just about 5 minutes after 12, and I was able to get one in my cart before I got out of my van to help him out. When I got back in my van 15 minutes later to decide whether to order or not, they were gone.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #93 on: February 07, 2023, 06:35:40 PM
I wonder if the SAK mini screwdriver will fit the corkscrew. Or even the Tortoise gear?

Hah I was right about this being a plierless tool! Why am so happy? I don’t know.

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #94 on: February 07, 2023, 06:37:33 PM
I tried and failed.  Sold out in 4 minutes. 

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #95 on: February 07, 2023, 06:41:41 PM
More in stock, just grabbed one.

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #96 on: February 07, 2023, 06:42:47 PM
Just looked and it says there are 10 left.

* 2023-02-07.jpg (Filesize: 109.04 KB)
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

it Offline Andrew

Reply #97 on: February 07, 2023, 06:46:19 PM
I find out that now every leatherman site for each country has the Leatherman garage section. And every country has its own availability. For example in Italy is still available

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #98 on: February 07, 2023, 06:47:11 PM
Over thirty on EBay already  :facepalm:

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #99 on: February 07, 2023, 06:51:09 PM

Yep.  With I'm sure the same ole suspects.  All the people claiming that LM cracked down on this were FOS. 

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #100 on: February 07, 2023, 06:59:43 PM

Not maliciously putting the Garage thing down. I think it’s great stuff. But I do feel that they are putting together leftover parts from either the parts bin or R & D lab. Anything in R & D would have a large failure rate so not much to reuse (Garage # 1).

So all the other releases kinda look repurposed? #4 looks like their Free Ts and Ks.

But again. I thoroughly enjoy seeing them pump these out.

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #101 on: February 07, 2023, 08:04:45 PM
For anyone wHO would like an Europe 75, there are already 42 listings on the 'bay, with  prices in the mid 200USD up to 420USD... :dunno:

us Offline Adam5

Reply #102 on: February 07, 2023, 10:42:11 PM
More in stock, just grabbed one.

:woohoo:

As for me, I am fine about missing out on this one.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #103 on: February 07, 2023, 11:47:33 PM
:woohoo:

As for me, I am fine about missing out on this one.

I got one out of curiosity and also to perhaps pass on to someone who missed out  :tu:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #104 on: February 08, 2023, 02:34:41 AM
Isn't that a P-series can opener?

us Offline Adam5

Reply #105 on: February 08, 2023, 03:21:20 AM

I got one out of curiosity and also to perhaps pass on to someone who missed out  :tu:

Post a few pics of it and that may take care of my curiousity also  :tu:

Offline MrToolJunkie

Reply #106 on: February 08, 2023, 03:51:57 AM
Meh....not much interest in this one. I think this has not turned out to be as innovative or exciting as the Mr. Crunch was, but that is just me. Congrats to those who got one and wanted one.

Offline cdcengineer

Reply #107 on: February 08, 2023, 05:23:35 AM
Magnacut?

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #108 on: February 08, 2023, 01:44:28 PM
I'm not going to pound on this release too much.  It is what it is.  It just seems absurd that the 3D printed a swing arm to recreate a tool that Tim thought was so inferior in 1975 that he dedicated his life to burying it. 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #109 on: February 08, 2023, 04:24:59 PM
 ^^^ :whistle:

WELCOME TO THE LEATHERMAN GARAGE.  WHERE THE FUTURE OF INVENTION BEGINS
Enter The Garage where we explore what's next for Leatherman.  The Leatherman Garage is driven by the same sense of discovery that inspires Leatherman users. It’s raw, “Do It Yourself,” and break-it-until-you-make-it. The Garage puts innovation first, pushing the limits of design, engineering, and even ourselves.

Batch #001. In 1975, Tim Leatherman was looking for a tool that didn't exist. So, he decided to build one. Tim headed to the garage with a few sketches and an idea to create what was in his mind. Fast forward eight years and the Leatherman PST® multi-tool was born.

But during those years, Tim built, tested, broke, and engineered a host of prototypes and parts that ultimately didn't make it to production. Even the name of his patented prototype—Mr. Crunch—was changed in favor of the now-famous "Leatherman." One of the main tools was a double-pliers feature—too costly and complex for manufacturing back then.

Batch #002. For the next Garage release, we’re venturing into THE DARKSIDE. This product embodies the creative process of the Garage, uncovering inspiration in unfamiliar places, and discovering innovation. Inspired by our collaboration with Tom Sachs, we asked the question: Can we push ourselves to make something extraordinary?

Here’s what we learned:

1. We discovered brand-new features we could add to an existing Charge chassis.

2. We’ve explored new ways of using materials and coatings to evolve our aesthetics.

3. We’ve engineered uses for new materials like layered G10 to add unique characteristics to our tools.

THE DARKSIDE was inspired by culture, music, and relationships. We’ve learned new ways of improving and manufacturing our tools. But more important, we’ve reinforced our spirit of innovation that drives us into the unknown. We hope that using THE DARKSIDE does the same for you.

Batch #003. Rooted in our problem-solving spirit, the Garage Batch #003: PARTS release showcases our inventive vision. Our goal is to make the best folding knife possible by using the greatest amount of found resources from the factory. The final product uses 26 parts and includes an innovative interchangeable blade system.

Make the knife suitable to your situation and get the most in versatility with the Batch #003: PARTS multipurpose tool. Switch out the work blade with a standard everyday carry (aka EDC) blade, so you can adapt to whatever you need in the moment. The selection of materials, intentional design, and evolved ergonomics give you comfort, confidence, and functionality throughout your day. The blade is simple and easy-to-launch and is operable from a slim, lightweight frame. The G10 handle scales feel and look good and are built to last, just like every product Leatherman creates.

Batch #004. When Tim and Chau Leatherman journeyed through Europe in the ‘70s, they carried only the necessities—including a pocket knife. It was helpful for daily tasks and on-the-fly fixes to keep the journey going. Ultimately, those experiences sparked the idea to create a better multipurpose tool (the original PST).

For the next Leatherman Garage release, we're bringing to life a modern version of a pocket knife: Batch #004: EUROPE75. With 11 essential tools, it has all the features for traveling close to home or abroad including a handy corkscrew and assist. We also incorporated FREE® technology that gives you sturdy, all-locking tools and quick access to every feature with one hand.

With its compact design, Batch #004: EUROPE75 is a lightweight multi-tool that enhances travel while you soak in new experiences, food, and cultures

Thinking the Garage is much to about nothing but limited editions.  Batch #001 and Batch #002 (pliers only) are the only things that stand out for me.  Batch #003 is left over parts.  Pretty great they used up parts but..... ? Batch #004 is a tool that prompted Tim to spend the next decade working to build what would become Leatherman Tools.  Looks like left over parts mixed with a couple new things?   

I'm not entirely sure they are hitting the mark according to what their Garage page says https://www.leatherman.com/garage-about.html
Esse Quam Videri

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #110 on: February 08, 2023, 04:45:34 PM
  :iagree: Aloha !

I did not like Mr.Crunch as it is build onto the Free platform. Somehow I think that doesn't fit together.

The only thing that makes me want a Dark Side Charge is the screwed pliers. They should make that a standard.

The exchangeable blades do not look very practical and sturdy.

And now we have this scout knife.

Oh... and wasn't there a problem with the warranty?

Sorry if this comes off like a rant  :hatsoff:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #111 on: February 08, 2023, 04:47:33 PM
I misspoke about the blade being Magnacut sorry.  The blade on this Batch #004 is 420HC.  Apologies.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #112 on: February 08, 2023, 04:56:39 PM
If the expectation of Garage is just very innovative tools, then I think the Mr. Crunch plier head is the only thing that qualifies.  If Garage is about Leatherman experimenting with new tool ideas, materials, and processes that they wouldn't have done otherwise, then all 4 releases are great.  I am not really excited about the current Garage release, but it's still a unique tool in Leatherman's catalog that would never have been made without Garage. 

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #113 on: February 08, 2023, 04:58:59 PM

Garage tool warranty is just different since they are limited releases - instead of 25 years replace warranty, they just return your money on Garage tools.

"This is a Leatherman Garage product offering. As a limited-run product, it is not covered by the replacement portion of our standard 25-year warranty on full-size tools. We will still attempt to repair any Garage tools submitted for repair. If a repair can't be made, we will offer a store credit of the full purchase value."

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #114 on: February 08, 2023, 06:38:47 PM
Thanks Rich  :hatsoff:

That should confirm they are collectors pieces only.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #115 on: February 08, 2023, 07:52:07 PM
I decided to cancel my order. When I spoke to the women on the phone she said that they are holding orders 5-7 days until they are reviewed by there team for eligibility.

I wonder how many tools that are listed on eBay will end up getting cancelled by Leatherman  :think:

Offline cnlson

Reply #116 on: February 08, 2023, 09:20:33 PM
  :iagree: Aloha !

I did not like Mr.Crunch as it is build onto the Free platform. Somehow I think that doesn't fit together.

The only thing that makes me want a Dark Side Charge is the screwed pliers. They should make that a standard.

The exchangeable blades do not look very practical and sturdy.

And now we have this scout knife.

Sorry if this comes off like a rant  :hatsoff:

The darkside was a way to cash in on the tom sachs charge. it was essentially the extra tools stolen from that limited edition puked out again with goofy g10 scales. What is crazy is all the broken carbide scratchers. Carbide is hard but brittle. the scribe should have been made out of 420 with a carbide tip insert, rather than all carbide.

I got in an argument on reddit with someone that thought, if only leatherman would release the Mr Crunch as a regular tool. LOL with the fiddly plier caps it would end up spending more time in service than in anyone's pocket.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 09:26:15 PM by cnlson »

Offline cnlson

Reply #117 on: February 08, 2023, 09:23:03 PM
I decided to cancel my order. When I spoke to the women on the phone she said that they are holding orders 5-7 days until they are reviewed by there team for eligibility.

I wonder how many tools that are listed on eBay will end up getting cancelled by Leatherman  :think:
if only it was all of them.
actually I don't care about the speculators, i'm hearing they got plenty burnt on the Parts release. Guy on reddit can't get rid of his for even $120
If they would have led with parts no one would have paid attention to mr crunch or darkside.
The ideas seem to get weaker and weaker as it goes along.

For an ideas group Garage seems to be pretty lacking.

Offline cnlson

Reply #118 on: February 08, 2023, 09:37:38 PM
anyone else wish we could give the garage ideas?
Like i would love a charge surge mashup with a spot in the scales to store a saw or file in addition to the one installed.
a pin in the replaceable cutters so they don't rotate when you grip on something larger.
a firestarter with a blade angle guide built in so  you could take the t shank diamond file and sharpen your knife.

if they gave a tool to people who made suggestions, they would have enough for a lifetime of garage projects and perhaps even a few tools.

@legend any chance you could suggest this? I am sure the garage team underwhelmed with the cheers they are getting over tool 4

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #119 on: February 08, 2023, 09:55:03 PM
I can only go by the fella from LM who came here specifically to tell us to go to reddit to talk to them.   :twak:

They seem to know what they are doing  :salute:.  To say he/they seemed uninterested would be a understatement.  I am underwhelmed by what I took as their mission statement.  I have been known to get it totally wrong so I may have misunderstood LM Garage purpose.  If its solely about creating excitement/sales for limited edition tools then  :hatsoff:.  I can get behind that.  Goodness knows I enjoy being 1 of XXX owner of something neat.     

"The Garage puts innovation first, pushing the limits of design, engineering, and even ourselves."

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD