Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

✬ 2022 Chuck Yeager Memorial Challenge ✬

Nix · 750 · 16358

us Offline marlowe221

Re: ✬ 2022 Chuck Yeager Memorial Challenge ✬
Reply #720 on: January 04, 2023, 02:22:18 AM
I can vouch for the Rambler. It’s amazing and the best 58mm SAK they make (sorry Minichamp and Classic SD). It’s lean and mean - the addition of the combo tool adds a ton of functionality… Size 0 to 2 Phillips screws, a bottle opener that works pretty well despite its size, and a wire bender/stripper groove.

Personally, I don’t go in for the ink pen and/or tiny LED light and stick with the traditional toothpick and tweezers.

Get one!

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #721 on: January 04, 2023, 02:53:25 AM
+1 for the Rambler for 58/65mm sizes, although I personally think the Exec's driver and bottle opening capabilities are close enough that the better file, larger blade, etc. make it a better choice.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #722 on: January 05, 2023, 01:45:19 AM
+1 for the Rambler for 58/65mm sizes, although I personally think the Exec's driver and bottle opening capabilities are close enough that the better file, larger blade, etc. make it a better choice.

That 74mm blade is what sells it for me. The blade and the slightly bigger scissors.  Rambler.....? I've got one......somewhere.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #723 on: January 05, 2023, 04:27:43 AM
I do really like the 74mm blade. It’s a great size and shape. Personally, I think the 58mm blade is the “least good” part of a 58mm SAK. I mean, it’s good. It’s just that the other 58mm tools are amazing.

If I need a small blade I’m much more likely to use the small blade on a 84 or 91mm SAK.

I will also say this about the Rambler. It is often said that the in-line Phillips will go from size 0 up to size 2 screws. I’ve said it myself. But the truth is, whether it actually works on a size 2 has a lot to do with the way the screw is cut. Also, if you have to approach at an angle, like door knob screws, it’s even harder.

The tip of the nail file can come it at an angle just like the can opener Phillips on larger SAKs.

no Offline aicolainen

Reply #724 on: January 05, 2023, 09:52:49 AM
I also want to throw in some support for the Rambler, it is my favorite 58mm. Though it should be said, my opinions on this matter doesn't carry a lot of weight. I simply don't use any of them enough.
My Rambler has at least earned a permanent spot in my lightweight travel dopp kit (No, I don't have a heavy weight dopp kit. Only LW and UL. I'm a simple man I guess), where it adds just that tiny little convenience that I didn't use to care about. With young kids that attracts accidents like magnets and the ever more erratic hair growth that comes with older age, I can see more benefits to always having these implements available in the scenarios where I'm likely to have this dopp bag, i.e. travel. Where my EDC is also not as predictable. This also makes it a backup EDC tool for just these situations, and the phillips combination tool just makes a big difference in that regard. And the size is such that it hardly makes a dent, even in a stripped down lightweight dopp bag.
What puzzles my mind is that the Classic SD seems to be so much more popular than the Rambler. I don't even have a Classic, since the Rambler seemed like a much better fit for me, so I might be missing something.
Like mentioned, the small blades on the 58s aren't all that much, but it's not an issue for me. They are hardly ever the only blade at hand. And I hardly ever use the blades on 58s or 74s outside of the challenges I've participated in. They're just there if I run out of other options, or convenience dictates it's the better choice - and then it's always better than nothing

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #725 on: January 05, 2023, 04:13:58 PM
I think the popularity of the Classic comes down to cost and tradition. The Rambler is better than the Classic, but if you're using them as a promo, souvenir, etc. (which is where I would bet the majority of Classic sales come from), jumping from ~$20 to ~$30 is pretty significant. They're also the Swiss Army Knife to a lot of people. I don't think I even knew there were other 58s until I got decently into the hobby, compared to 91s that I knew there were tons of different models as a kid.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #726 on: January 05, 2023, 04:42:08 PM
I knew about the larger models because I had an Explorer when I was in Boy Scouts. But for many years I had no idea that there were other 58mm SAKs beyond the Classic SD.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #727 on: January 06, 2023, 02:18:16 AM
I think the popularity of the Classic comes down to cost and tradition. The Rambler is better than the Classic, but if you're using them as a promo, souvenir, etc. (which is where I would bet the majority of Classic sales come from), jumping from ~$20 to ~$30 is pretty significant. They're also the Swiss Army Knife to a lot of people. I don't think I even knew there were other 58s until I got decently into the hobby, compared to 91s that I knew there were tons of different models as a kid.

I have both Alox and Celidor Ramblers. Like 'em both.  :tu:
However....I carry the Classic more often. For a long time I carried the Alox Rambler as part of my EDC. Now a Classic is more likely to be in my pocket. Or an Executive...or Ambassador.   :dunno:

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #728 on: January 06, 2023, 11:38:40 PM
I think a big part of the popularity of Classics comes down variety as well as price.  The Classic is available in tons different designs and colors, that the Rambler is not.  If you are not a fan of the red there are over a dozen different colors of Classics in alox or cellidor depending on preference.  If you are wanting a cool design on your scale instead of just plain, there are store exclusives, seasonal, location, etc in the cellidor.  Every year there are more varieties of Classics released.  Yet it seems if you want a Rambler in anything other than red, you have to buy scales separately or possibly even a Classic and swap scales.  For most people it probably is worth it for the small increase in utility that the Rambler provides, especially when the Rambler bottle opener is even that good.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #729 on: January 07, 2023, 06:55:39 PM
I've never carried a classic, though I do stash them in places that I want to keep a pair of scissors.  The minimum that I'll have is a Rambler, followed by a MiniChamp.

I'd love to lay my hands onto an Alox Rambler, but the prices prohibit that and I'm not adept at mods. Still, an Alox MiniChamp is almost as thin as a Celidor Rambler.
 :like:
As to the LE classics, my issue is the scale image wears off too easy.  I've bought some to swap the scales onto MiniChamps and have been disappointed that after only minimal carry the image is damaged.
I found a seller on the eBay that sells Classics, that he's added new scales to, for cheaper than a set of new scales alone.  So, if my red Celidor MiniChamp starts to feel a little blue, eBay here I come.  :mail: (Then I have another naked classic to drop into another Paracord box.) :dunno:
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #730 on: January 07, 2023, 11:30:07 PM
This Classic had white scales, before removing them for a MiniChamp swap.
It simply stays in my beading box.

* 0107231719.jpg (Filesize: 161.16 KB)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #731 on: January 07, 2023, 11:43:02 PM
Hey, it's a family forum!!!

:dwts:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #732 on: January 08, 2023, 01:29:25 AM
 :rofl:
Barry

us Offline Sos24

Reply #733 on: January 08, 2023, 05:24:05 AM
I've never carried a classic, though I do stash them in places that I want to keep a pair of scissors.  The minimum that I'll have is a Rambler, followed by a MiniChamp.

I'd love to lay my hands onto an Alox Rambler, but the prices prohibit that and I'm not adept at mods. Still, an Alox MiniChamp is almost as thin as a Celidor Rambler.
As to the LE classics, my issue is the scale image wears off too easy.  I've bought some to swap the scales onto MiniChamps and have been disappointed that after only minimal carry the image is damaged.
I found a seller on the eBay that sells Classics, that he's added new scales to, for cheaper than a set of new scales alone.  So, if my red Celidor MiniChamp starts to feel a little blue, eBay here I come.  :mail: (Then I have another naked classic to drop into another Paracord box.) :dunno:
I have a couple Alox Classics, but no cellidor.  I’ve bought some for the scales and then put the plain scales from the Rambler and give them away.  I like to give a Classic and flashlight (AAA or rechargeable) on a microlock to friends who I think could benefit and would appreciate them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #734 on: January 08, 2023, 03:33:32 PM
I've carried a Classic on a keychain for years.  I agree with SOS24, in that they make great gifts, especially to non knife people who could benefit from a small tool that will get them out of day to day jams.  They don't intimidate anyone, and I love to see some of the creative uses people come up with using theirs.
Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #735 on: January 08, 2023, 03:45:05 PM
 :iagree:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #736 on: January 09, 2023, 02:26:28 AM
they make great gifts, especially to non knife people who could benefit from a small tool that will get them out of day to day jams

This is what keeps me giving them away.  The person will be gracious at first, but you can tell they don’t really see a need or purpose.  But then later almost everyone has come back to tell me a specific situation where one or the other came in handy and how useful they’ve become.  The Classic (or SAKs in general) are a tool that many don’t realize the utility of until they have it and start using it.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #737 on: January 09, 2023, 04:39:54 AM
Exactly!  :like:
Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #738 on: January 09, 2023, 02:41:34 PM
This is what keeps me giving them away.  The person will be gracious at first, but you can tell they don’t really see a need or purpose.  But then later almost everyone has come back to tell me a specific situation where one or the other came in handy and how useful they’ve become.  The Classic (or SAKs in general) are a tool that many don’t realize the utility of until they have it and start using it.

:dd: :SAKnight:

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #739 on: January 09, 2023, 04:29:59 PM
It's unfortunate that the 58mm line seems to have crowded the 74mm line right out of production. I mean, I can see how it happened. But I don't like it.

To me a 58mm and a 74mm SAK serve different purposes so, the one is not a replacement for the other. In my mind, the 58mm SAK is the key chain/5th pocket back up tool, though it might be all the SAK a lot of people need day to day. But at 74mm, the Executive is more of a full fledged pocket knife! Sure, it's on the smaller side as "regular" pocket knives go. But it seems to fit that kind of "Case Peanut" role but with even more utility than a Peanut.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #740 on: January 09, 2023, 05:41:53 PM
But at 74mm, the Executive is more of a full fledged pocket knife! Sure, it's on the smaller side as "regular" pocket knives go. But it seems to fit that kind of "Case Peanut" role but with even more utility than a Peanut.

I agree somewhat about the 74mm line.
While I almost always carry a large stockman knife, I like a smaller knife also.
While the Executive is an excellent knife I wish that Victorinox would have upped the game on it with something like a MidiChamp as the combo tool on my MiniChamp had to be my favorite tool.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #741 on: January 09, 2023, 06:03:37 PM
A 74mm Minichamp would have been ideal, a bit larger than my favorite, the Wenger PTC.
Barry

it Offline Mini

Reply #742 on: January 09, 2023, 09:27:14 PM
Greetings to all!  I haven't posted in a long time, but it's always a pleasure to join the forum.  I have read that the executive will no longer be produced.  it's my favorite sak, pocket-sized and handy.
I have a backup up of It. And a backup of the backup... And others backup...
I don't know exactly how many I have  :D :D :D

us Offline Sos24

Reply #743 on: January 10, 2023, 07:09:52 AM
It's unfortunate that the 58mm line seems to have crowded the 74mm line right out of production. I mean, I can see how it happened. But I don't like it.

To me a 58mm and a 74mm SAK serve different purposes so, the one is not a replacement for the other. In my mind, the 58mm SAK is the key chain/5th pocket back up tool, though it might be all the SAK a lot of people need day to day. But at 74mm, the Executive is more of a full fledged pocket knife! Sure, it's on the smaller side as "regular" pocket knives go. But it seems to fit that kind of "Case Peanut" role but with even more utility than a Peanut.
I completely agree. 

The 58mm to me is the perfect back-up tool for the average person or primary for a person who would otherwise not carry anything.

Whereas, the 74mm in my mind is the perfect primary tool for a “white collar” office environment (you know like the name implies “Executive”etc) where anything large might get dirty looks.  I think where the mark was missed is instead of discontinuing, they should have kept producing them while also offering some classier scale materials. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #744 on: January 11, 2023, 04:10:23 AM
 :iagree:

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #745 on: January 11, 2023, 04:22:43 AM
 :iagree: Methinks Kirinite would suit an Executive very well.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #746 on: January 11, 2023, 04:45:16 PM
:iagree: Methinks Kirinite would suit an Executive very well.
I'd like a nice set of stag scales for Patch.

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #747 on: January 12, 2023, 07:19:21 AM
A 74mm Minichamp would have been ideal, a bit larger than my favorite, the Wenger PTC.

Spot on Barry. I tend to think my Rambler is my sweet spot but that’s just because the 74mm range is what it is. And neither Executive nor Rambler have the small screwdriver the PTC has which is desirable but only rarely essential. I’ve gone years without needing one to tighten a grub screw on my or anyone else’s glasses but when you need one … you really need one. Work colleagues have been very grateful as they suddenly have a small glasses crisis.
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #748 on: January 14, 2023, 03:45:12 AM
I've carried a Classic on a keychain for years.
:facepalm:
After all of my naysaying, about the Classic,  I now have one that will keep it's scales.
I saw a fellow on Facebook that was selling an Alox MiniChamp/Alox Classic as a pair, for a good price.  Now y'all know how I feel about Alox MiniChamps...
I had to promise the Boss Lady that this would probably be my last one too.  ::)

Unless I find a Red one at a realistic price.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #749 on: January 14, 2023, 02:45:38 PM
I don't even try to appease Mrs R anymore  :facepalm:. Now she knows what to get me for gifts  :D
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD