Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC setup under 50 dollar challenge

Offline bryan123

EDC setup under 50 dollar challenge
on: January 09, 2023, 01:18:43 AM
Can you put together a full EDC setup with real functionality for under 50 bucks?

Knife
Multitool of some kind
Flashlight
Watch
Wallet 9f some kind
Pen

I'll start!  Up for a challenge?
Compress_20230108_191712_2801.jpg
* Compress_20230108_191712_2801.jpg (Filesize: 94.01 KB)

By the way you will not find a better working money clip at any price point.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Re: EDC setup under 50 dollar challenge
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 05:40:03 AM
Interesting challenge.  Trying to get all that under $50 is tough.  Virtually all other considerations have to be sacrificed for price, and I suspect there won’t actually be too many decent options.  Not to take anything away from Opinel, but for most of that gear, I would encourage the prospective purchaser to save up a little longer and buy something that would be a bit more expensive but would probably serve them better.

no Offline aicolainen

Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 10:20:03 AM
agree with nate on this one.
Having budget options is nice. High value, good quality budget options that fit your needs is even better.
If the endpoint is focused to stringently on a arbitrary total sum, you may end up sacrificing some of those high value options that align with your needs over something whose main attribute is a lower price.
Depending on how you look at it, that isn't necessarily the best deal in the long run.
There are lots of YT videos on this theme, at different price points, and I just don't see the value. IMO it would make more sense to focus on individual items, because most people aren't starting from scratch (there is probably a pen or wallet or something, laying around somewhere) and we all prioritize the importance of each item differently.
It's a more likely scenario that I already have a half decent EDC, but one or two items are missing or just not working very well for me - then it makes sense to look for just those, within your specific budget.

With all that tangential TL;DR said, most of that EDC would work just fine for me.
At some point, probably sooner than later, I'd have to switch out the knife and "wallet". The ones selected just wouldn't work for me. It doesn't have to be expensive, but I need my folder to be slim, lightweight and one hand operating (preferably a mid backlock) and a proper wallet with some organization.

Just for the mind exercise, I threw together a budget EDC that would work well for me. Not sure about the price exactly, but quite affordable.

Watch: Timex Expedition Scout (bought it some 7 years ago as an affordable, low risk "test drive" when I got interested in watches, just to see how I'd like a field watch and figure out my preferences size wise).
Wallet: No idea what it is. Generic leather wallet from the family's overshoot bin. Probably a gift or giveaway or something that nobody really needed or wanted and has been floating around ever since. Looks decent, but if I were to use it, I'd remove the snap closure to slim it down a little.
Knife: My sons Spyderco Manbug that I got on a crazy 50% off sale at Lamnia. Though I prefer a Dragonfly, I'd get by with this. Handles and carries much the same.
Prybar: CountyCOMM 3" thing. This is the one I actually EDC, so it's a very realistic option. Also very affordable.
Flashlight: Maratac AAA (maybe the same as the OP?) Well made and affordable. I even used to have a more affordable option, an Olight i3e that I got for free, but I gave it to my son. A simple but well made, super compact option that I carried for a good while myself.
Pen: Pilot super grip. Stolen... ehh, I mean borrowed from work. Probably very affordable. I believe it comes with a G2 cartridge, either way the writing experience is more than adequate for me even if the plastic makes it feel a bit cheap. I don't always carry a pen and if I do, I carry one made from metal  rather than plastic, just because I have that option, but I regularly carry the mechanical pencil version of the Pilot Super grip, so I know it would work well for me. The plastic pocket clips are notorious for breaking though.

us Offline edc yes

Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 09:12:27 AM
Can you put together a full EDC setup with real functionality for under 50 bucks?

Knife
Multitool of some kind
Flashlight
Watch
Wallet 9f some kind
Pen

I'll start!  Up for a challenge?  [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  

By the way you will not find a better working money clip at any price point.

Yeah, what if your last EDC fell out of a boat, and you need to cover the basics as cheap as possible because you're broke. It can be done.
-Craftsman/Sheffield box cutter, color of the day
-NXT700 (700/NXT hybrid)
-The year before last year's portable electronic interface (holster modded)
-Mountainsmith Day Pack, mildly modded

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 04:07:07 AM
I’ve thought about this a bit more, and here’s what I’ve come up with:

Vic Money Clip - I just snagged (another) one of these for $35.  This should cover knife, MT, and wallet.

Fisher Bullet - Currently $27 for basic chrome.  There are certainly cheaper pens, but none that I would want to carry around in my pocket.

Fenix E01 V2 - Again, there are cheaper options out there, but my Fenix lights have never let me down, and this one boasts three output levels while running on a single AAA battery.  $13

Watch - None.  In an age when everyone has a cell phone, some may prefer to also have a watch for reasons of convenience and or fashion.  But it is difficult to make the case that a watch is a must have item, especially if one is really on that tight of a budget.

So, not under $50, but for $75 I could get a functional EDC setup that, while decidedly minimalist for my taste, would consist of items I would actually be pleased to carry and use.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023, 05:05:21 AM
Hmm, this should be good, I’ll have to sit in and watch,, I’m on a very tight budget and some of the things I carry I’ve made, so this should be interesting!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%