Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Durable Fountain Pens

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Durable Fountain Pens
on: January 10, 2023, 11:52:06 PM
Not sure where to put this, so just dropping it in general.

I got into fountain pens about 15 years ago. I love the feel in hand, the way they write, and the fact that I'm not tossing them in the landfill like I would a ballpoint.

Or I wouldn't if the damn things didn't break on me all the time. Several Lamy Safaris, a Pelican, a couple Twisbis. I had a Lamy 2000 break in half, and people have told me they couldn't break one if they tried. I guess I'm just hard on my pens.

Anyone want to recommend a real bulletproof fountain pen? I'd prefer an internal filler, but beyond that I don't have any strong preferences.

Offline GrouchoM

Re: Durable Fountain Pens
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 01:21:34 AM
Opus88 pocket or Demonstrator. They're eyedropper filled with cut-off valves. Also, Kaweco Sport.

Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™

de Offline Shuya

Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 02:09:45 PM
Kaweco Allrounder.

3 parts of machined aluminium, screwed construction (body, grip part and cap).

Cant imagine anyone breaks this. Its on my workdesk.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 02:48:42 PM
That sounds more like what I'm looking for. So many pens have 10 or so parts, made of different materials, but they make sure they use the weakest ones for the points that have to move. "Here's a metal pen. Except for where they nib attaches, that's plastic."

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 01:58:31 AM
I can vouch for the Kaweco Sport line in metals; they're crafted from aluminium, brass or stainless steel, have screw on caps, optional pocket clips (in two styles and three finishes no less), easily replaceable nib units in EF, F, B, DB, and three sizes of italic nibs. They're pocket friendly but at the same time, once posted, a full-length nice-girth pens. One caveat: can not be converted to eyedroppers as the plastic ones can, as the ink will react with the brass and aluminium ones (not so sure about the stainless ones, as the standard nibs from Kaweco -crafted by  Bock, now by Jowo in recent years, are stainless steel) so, either international short cartridges (most capacity; easily refilled with syringe) or Kaweco's proprietry mini converter (half the capacity of the cartridge, but sturdy and easy to use). I have Sports and Liliputs running from EF to DB nibs and have been awesome from the get-go.
Just a teaser: Liliputs keyed in yellow; Sports in red.😁

20230111_205158_copy_681x909.jpg
* 20230111_205158_copy_681x909.jpg (Filesize: 249.67 KB)

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 12, 2023, 02:10:28 AM
That sounds more like what I'm looking for. So many pens have 10 or so parts, made of different materials, but they make sure they use the weakest ones for the points that have to move. "Here's a metal pen. Except for where they nib attaches, that's plastic."

To tell the truth, the nib's feed and collar ARE plastic, but reside in the pen's section or "grip area" which is metal. The first picture is from the cap, nib section with cartridge and body of the Brass Sport; the second one is the cap, nib with collar separated from section and body. Hope it helps.

20230111_210838_copy_797x797.jpg
* 20230111_210838_copy_797x797.jpg (Filesize: 485.95 KB)

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 12, 2023, 05:51:36 AM
I think my problem is that I over tighten, because internal pistons tend to lean there (I should just make sure they're well greased). With a cartridge/converter, there's probably less chance of leaking there, so I wouldn't be as likely to abuse them.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 19, 2023, 03:52:50 PM
I can vouch for the Kaweco Sport line in metals; they're crafted from aluminium, brass or stainless steel, have screw on caps, optional pocket clips (in two styles and three finishes no less), easily replaceable nib units in EF, F, B, DB, and three sizes of italic nibs. They're pocket friendly but at the same time, once posted, a full-length nice-girth pens. One caveat: can not be converted to eyedroppers as the plastic ones can, as the ink will react with the brass and aluminium ones (not so sure about the stainless ones, as the standard nibs from Kaweco -crafted by  Bock, now by Jowo in recent years, are stainless steel) so, either international short cartridges (most capacity; easily refilled with syringe) or Kaweco's proprietry mini converter (half the capacity of the cartridge, but sturdy and easy to use). I have Sports and Liliputs running from EF to DB nibs and have been awesome from the get-go.
Just a teaser: Liliputs keyed in yellow; Sports in red.😁
  [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]

Beautiful collection.

What are the four metal shorter pens in the top row? Could you tell me a little about em?

Might be perfect for a leather belt sheath I am close to buying.

Thanks

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 20, 2023, 12:29:36 AM
Thank you for the compliment, Harley;  top row consists, from left to right: modified Pilot Varsity/VPen, kaweco Liliputs in copper, brass (with wavy texture), brass (smooth texture), stainless steel, black anodized aluminum; kaweco Collection Sport (plastic), Kaweco Brass Sport, Al Sport in Anthracite and Deep Red; (2) modified Zebra V-301's. All Kawecos are run-of-mill, regular models (although the Collection Sport was a special edition, it is still found in most venues, affordably); the Pilot had been shortened, cleared of markings/ and the nib ground and polished. The Zebras had been shortened and debadged. If you were asking for the Kawecos, I can vouch for the great-sturdy-durable-pens they are (even the plastic one when its limitation is considered), and how great they  are as EDC (even sheathed carry like in the Leatherman's "premium" line of sheaths), and use standard short international cartridges (plenty to choose, easily available, refillable). The Sport also comes in stainless steel, if you're interested. Hope it helped.

Offline GrouchoM

Reply #9 on: January 20, 2023, 06:46:39 AM
Kara's Kustom?
https://karaskustoms.com/product-category/fountain-k-v2/

Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #10 on: January 20, 2023, 11:13:26 AM
Thank you for the compliment, Harley;  top row consists, from left to right: modified Pilot Varsity/VPen, kaweco Liliputs in copper, brass (with wavy texture), brass (smooth texture), stainless steel, black anodized aluminum; kaweco Collection Sport (plastic), Kaweco Brass Sport, Al Sport in Anthracite and Deep Red; (2) modified Zebra V-301's. All Kawecos are run-of-mill, regular models (although the Collection Sport was a special edition, it is still found in most venues, affordably); the Pilot had been shortened, cleared of markings/ and the nib ground and polished. The Zebras had been shortened and debadged. If you were asking for the Kawecos, I can vouch for the great-sturdy-durable-pens they are (even the plastic one when its limitation is considered), and how great they  are as EDC (even sheathed carry like in the Leatherman's "premium" line of sheaths), and use standard short international cartridges (plenty to choose, easily available, refillable). The Sport also comes in stainless steel, if you're interested. Hope it helped.

Very helpful thanks.

The Lilliput doesn’t come with a clip? The one you can add, does it stay on well?

The sheath I am looking at needs a good clip for the pen to stay in place.

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 20, 2023, 11:23:22 AM
 Liliput nor the Sport come with clip and, being slip-on type and the sheath probably leather (being thicker that textile), I wouldn't trust it if not glued (CA; epoxy) or tapped and bolted on. I only use the clips as "anti rolling devices" as I pocket carry them (they're THAT small.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #12 on: January 20, 2023, 08:15:13 PM
Held a plastic Kaweco Classic Sport this week, but found it to light for my taste. Looking for a brass model, but the cheapest one I found so far is €75.

Not helping, that price and the awlmost 20 other fountain pens I awlready have...

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 20, 2023, 08:57:56 PM
Perhaps an Al Sport!?! Not as light as the regular Sport, cheaper than the brass model, anodized or raw, rugged ... besides, how many of the twenty are really pocket pens!   :pok: :D

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #14 on: January 27, 2023, 01:59:00 AM
Perhaps an Al Sport!?! Not as light as the regular Sport, cheaper than the brass model, anodized or raw, rugged ... besides, how many of the twenty are really pocket pens!   :pok: :D

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #15 on: February 02, 2023, 11:53:04 AM
Just want to get this here in writing.

I blame Juan.

Just ordered a Pilot Metro, AKA the gateway pen.

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 03, 2023, 05:59:02 PM
Just want to get this here in writing.

I blame Juan.

Just ordered a Pilot Metro
, AKA the gateway pen.

Me!?!?!? ... Naaaaah, how could it be ... :think:

But really, congratulations; you won't be dissappointed!!! Brass body and cap, with a secure snap closure, sturdy nib section, the ability to use converters (comes with the CON-B "squeeze" converter and also accepts the CON-40) or cartridges, and the nibs tend to be flawless from the get-go (and thinner writing than western nibs to boot!) Don't let the budget price fool you, as it is a well designed and crafted pen, that should last a lifetime. The only caveat is that the converters and  cartridges are proprietary (but easily refillable with the ink of choice; The ink that it comes with is their basic Pilot/Namiki black, which has good flow and is water resistant). Enjoy!

( I should know as I've added a Metro/MR Retro Pop  in orange color and <F> nib to the collection, as well as a Parker Jotter, and two more Vanishing Points... :facepalm:; Yep, a Rabbit's Hole it is...)

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #17 on: February 04, 2023, 01:03:43 AM

Me!?!?!? ... Naaaaah, how could it be ... :think:

But really, congratulations; you won't be dissappointed!!! Brass body and cap, with a secure snap closure, sturdy nib section, the ability to use converters (comes with the CON-B "squeeze" converter and also accepts the CON-40) or cartridges, and the nibs tend to be flawless from the get-go (and thinner writing than western nibs to boot!) Don't let the budget price fool you, as it is a well designed and crafted pen, that should last a lifetime. The only caveat is that the converters and  cartridges are proprietary (but easily refillable with the ink of choice; The ink that it comes with is their basic Pilot/Namiki black, which has good flow and is water resistant). Enjoy!

( I should know as I've added a Metro/MR Retro Pop  in orange color and <F> nib to the collection, as well as a Parker Jotter, and two more Vanishing Points... :facepalm:; Yep, a Rabbit's Hole it is...)

I have a feeling you are correct about the rabbit hole.

How you getting on with the Jotter? Had one in my had a few days again at the store but passed because I have the Metro coming.

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 04, 2023, 01:10:56 AM
Bought it more for nostalgia ( and was on sale!), as my father's pens were Jotters (although ballpoints). It is an OK pen, as it looks classy, it is sturdy, comes with a cartridge of the famous Quink "washable Blue" ink; cap is of the snap on type and, since it is an <M> nib, flows quite nice. BUT, does not compare to my <F> Metropolitan in smoothess, overall fit, finish, and feel.

Edit- the Jotter is stainless steel, with a stainless steel "tubular" nib, which makes it a great EDC and, if you notice in the following picture smaller than the Pilot making it more pocket friendly-er.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 01:33:18 AM by Juan el Boricua »

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 04, 2023, 01:20:21 AM
Here they are, just in case it might help ...

20230203_201729_copy_825x864.jpg
* 20230203_201729_copy_825x864.jpg (Filesize: 491.33 KB)

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #20 on: February 06, 2023, 10:41:12 PM

Dang it Juan.

A disposable fountain pen came with this order because free shipping and I already tried it out. This is going to cost me. It wrote so smooth and with very little pressure. Sigh.

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: February 06, 2023, 11:04:07 PM
Dang it Juan.

A disposable fountain pen came with this order because free shipping and I already tried it out. This is going to cost me. It wrote so smooth and with very little pressure. Sigh.

Was it a Varsity/V Pen?!

(Image removed from quote.)

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: February 07, 2023, 12:42:22 AM
Good on you then!; that's one heck of a "disposable pen", as it writes quite smooth and it is pretty sturdy (the body and cap are somewhat maleable and hard to crack) for EDC and to lend. It can be refilled, if youl'd like. Please, do show the Metro ...   :D :popcorn:

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #24 on: February 07, 2023, 02:26:45 AM
Good on you then!; that's one heck of a "disposable pen", as it writes quite smooth and it is pretty sturdy (the body and cap are somewhat maleable and hard to crack) for EDC and to lend. It can be refilled, if youl'd like. Please, do show the Metro ...   :D :popcorn:

Not so happy with the way the Metro writes with the blue cartridge installed. Washed the nib out and put a black cartridge in it and now it barely writes. Probably should have let the water evaporate before installing the new nib?

Also when I put the blue cartridge in it and squeezed it a couple times ink came out not at the point but from near where you hold your hand underneath. Very confusing this is.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #25 on: February 07, 2023, 02:29:52 AM

Yeah your Metro writes much better then mine did. My letter were kinda transparent like maybe not enough ink got to the paper?

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: February 07, 2023, 03:04:29 AM
I figured you folks might like this

https://www.bokerusa.com/tactical-fountain-pen-09bo029

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: February 07, 2023, 04:34:52 AM
Oooh, sorry about your experience. Maybe the ink got diluted with the water residue from the flush? Lets try this:
20230206_232624_copy_687x1062.jpg
* 20230206_232624_copy_687x1062.jpg (Filesize: 462.75 KB)

20230206_232103_copy_1139x640.jpg
* 20230206_232103_copy_1139x640.jpg (Filesize: 397.71 KB)

Allow it to dry overnight on the tissue paper wad, as it will wick the water and any ink/manufacturing release agent/oil from the channel. Press cartridge firmly in; either flick the pen lightly (watch out for curtains, drapes, linens, rugs, SWMBO, or any other ink sensitive surface) or, cap it and lightly tap on table ( you may cushion it with a newspaper) instead of squeezing.
Good luck!

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: February 07, 2023, 04:42:07 AM
EB, thanks for the heads up on the Boker!   :tu:
Interesting that they went for a somewhat proprietary cartridge and not long international, BUT, I'm almost sure that a Lamy Z series converter will work fine!!! I do wonder whos nib will they use? :think:

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #29 on: February 07, 2023, 03:29:56 PM
Oooh, sorry about your experience. Maybe the ink got diluted with the water residue from the flush? Lets try this:  [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]    [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  

Allow it to dry overnight on the tissue paper wad, as it will wick the water and any ink/manufacturing release agent/oil from the channel. Press cartridge firmly in; either flick the pen lightly (watch out for curtains, drapes, linens, rugs, SWMBO, or any other ink sensitive surface) or, cap it and lightly tap on table ( you may cushion it with a newspaper) instead of squeezing.
Good luck!

Did some video research and I think you’re right about the water not being removed before I put the new cartridge in.

Will mess with it again when I get a chance.

Also I think the ink did come out that breather hole like you said.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%