Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How to get started?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
How to get started?
on: February 01, 2023, 03:54:48 PM
I was reading this interesting article on getting started in canoeing and I started to wonder how it would relate to multitool and SAK collecting?

I know most of us started off with one that we liked, but it was missing ______ so we bought another one, but it need a _______ and so we got another one, and eventually lead to us having an army of knives and tools.

So, given that many of us have followed that path, and imagining someone asks you for advice on collecting, what wisdom would you impart?

For me, I'd say to join up on groups like MTO if for no other reason than to learn and be able to buy and trade with other like minded people. 

I'd think that would be the best advice, but I also agree with the canoe guide suggestion of learning some first aid, especially since I think we all have a scar or two from this hobby!   :ahhh

Anytging else?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: How to get started?
Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 04:04:10 PM
Have fun.  It is not a competition.  Be patient and enjoy the journey.  Spending more doesn't always equate to better.  Joining groups of like minded individuals is great.  Share your hobby. 

Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 04:20:07 PM
Have fun.  It is not a competition.  Be patient and enjoy the journey.  Spending more doesn't always equate to better.  Joining groups of like minded individuals is great.  Share your hobby.

Such good advice there that I feel like I can lock this thread right now and consider it a resounding success!   :tu:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 04:57:27 PM
I think it's easier to start with too much (Supertool, Swisschamp, etc.) and pare down to what you find yourself using. Otherwise you'll (like you said) keep going, "Well maybe I want a saw too... I could really use scissors... maybe I want a diamond file..." If you'd asked me 2 years ago what tools SAK had the tools I needed, I'd have said a Huntsman (and I still often recommend it to people who inexplicably only want to own one SAK.) After I did a challenge with the Champion, I realized I don't actually use the saw all that often unless I'm out at camp or something (in which case, I'm not grabbing my regular EDC.) One the other hand, I used the (I assumed worthless) fishscaler a couple times a week. Which meant I had to track down an Angler from the brief period that they made them as a 4 layer model w/ scissors/hook and no pliers.

Which brings me to sourcing:
1. Find a good local dealer, if you can. They'll help steer you to the right tool, and know where to find the weird stuff.
2. Don't be afraid to buy used. You can save a ton of money, find discontinued models, and any tool worth owning is durable (or warrantied) enough that it's ok to take a second chance on.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: February 01, 2023, 05:36:53 PM
I for one, enjoy the thrill of the hunt and finding deals on rare tools :ahhh as well as regular in production tools :woohoo:

So, a person needs to arm themselves with info from places like MTO an head out into the world or on ebay and enjoy the hunt :woohoo:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 02:17:28 AM
I had so much fun getting to this level of collecting that I hesitate to answer when someone asks, "what's your favorite?" or, "what's the best tool for X,Y, or Z random tasks?".  Guiding them instead to groups of tools and letting them have that experience of finding their own favorite or best tools for their needs.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023, 05:10:26 PM
I had always been an accumulator.  It wasn't until I bought my first CASE Seahorse Whittler that I felt the need to have access to a spare knife.  After that I needed to have a replacement, in case something happened to both of my first seahorse and my spare.
Unfortunately, the same process has happened with my obsession with Swiss Army knives and multitools.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

de Offline Shuya

Reply #7 on: February 03, 2023, 08:18:04 AM
I dont collect, I gather / hoard knives, use them all, no safequeens.

My advice: dont get dazzled by all the shiny pics on some social networks etc.
You dont have to catch up.
Sit back and think about your desires and priorities, and go your own path. Its ok to step left and right of that (aka the impulsive buy we all know).
And: dont be afraid to use.
In my early days I carried a lot of good OHO knives, BM, Spyderco, Microtech. Didnt use them much, carried a SAK in addition that saw a lot of uses.
Knivelaws changed here, and with shifted liking I know have a bunch of nice knives I rarely carry that I didnt enjoy when I was tooting them.
Now, since I no longer care, I freed my mind a lot.
The first scratch kind of hurts, from the second scratch on your knife gains beauty ("beausage" ).

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #8 on: February 04, 2023, 05:39:20 AM
Don't be afraid to buy used.
+1. Though discontinued stuff can go for stupid money, you can awlso find excellent users for surprisingly little money. I've seen very usable Spartans on eBay for about $10 (exclusive of shipping and sales tax).

If you're just getting into trads, start with used ones and/or Rough Ryders. Buying brand-new Cases while you're trying to find your favorite pattern(s) can get very expensive. Ask me how I know. :facepalm:
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 18, 2023, 08:23:16 PM
Do some research and find out what works for you. It might take some searching but you will find what does it. It took quite a bit of SAKs and Leatherman models to figure out the Spirit is the ideal mt for me. Also Super Tinker is the ideal edc SAK for me.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10 on: February 23, 2023, 01:31:33 PM

Pretty much this. Get what you like/can. Enjoy it. Learn about it. Pass it along.

:cheers: :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD