Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A great little screwdriver (sort of)

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
A great little screwdriver (sort of)
on: January 11, 2023, 04:24:10 AM
So with my work, it's often common for me to have to disassemble things and adjust things. So for the last few years I've been looking for a one tool fits most solution.

I think this Wera 8009 has come the closest yet, albeit at a cost.

Specs (from Wera)

Compact Zyklop ratchet with bit magazine for the pocket. Magnetic direct mounting for ¼” bits and 3/8” sockets. Rapid tool change thanks to the non-locking mounting. As the head is lockable at 0°, 15° and 90°, the tool can be used as a ratchet and as a ratchet screwdriver. The fine toothing with 72 teeth allows for a low return angle of 5°. Wide range of applications thanks to 12 bits integrated in the handle. The robust ratchet mechanism allows for ample torque. Perfect combination of a Zyklop ratchet with a 12-piece screwdriver set. The 75 mm long universal holder for 1/4” bits can be used as an extension. Including sockets in the commonest dimensions. One robust textile holster 9468 to be attached to the belt and docked onto the Wera 2go system.

And now for the sort of part of the description, it's expensive £100 to £130 expensive.

But is it worth it? In my use case yes, I have to carry less, of course only you can decide if it's for you.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: A great little screwdriver (sort of)
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 07:37:54 PM
That seems like a nice and compact package. I have some other Wera kits myself, and I'd say they are well made but comes at a cost. I still consider them value for money so I bought them.

They also do have some nice sockets which will hold nuts or bolts while you install them. Those are nice, and especially in cumbersome tight spaces. (Look for sockets with a black band around them).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 09:00:55 AM
They also do have some nice sockets which will hold nuts or bolts while you install them. Those are nice, and especially in cumbersome tight spaces. (Look for sockets with a black band around them).

I've been looking at those sockets, thanks for heads up. I may have to buy a few and give them a try :tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

gb Offline Chippyjosh

Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 09:35:43 PM
Been looking at this but have the zyclop 1/4 socket set and the Kraft form komoacy so can’t justify the cost at the moment

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 01:33:58 PM
That looks nice but  :o  expensive !

Offline refleks

Reply #5 on: February 28, 2023, 05:33:37 AM
I do like the idea. My 18v impact driver takes 1/4" bits but it's also got a 1/2" socket integrated.  This seems to do the same with 3/8" sockets. I've heard some disappointment in the retention being magnet only and not particularly strong,  and the other main complaint is that it has no locked mode (stopping the ratchet) to use as a completely manual screwdriver, which some prefer as an option. I haven't decided yet.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #6 on: March 02, 2023, 04:04:06 PM
oh wow, I've seen this but I had not noticed it also takes bits right away. Nice! :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%