Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

LM (UK) Moving to Germany

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
LM (UK) Moving to Germany
on: January 13, 2023, 06:18:54 PM
Awl,

Just received this from LM (UK)

It seems that we will now have to buy from Germany! Good or bad  :dunno:

I know no more than that which is contained within the email (direct lift is minus pictures etc)  :sa:

"Dear Valued Customer,

We are writing to inform you of a change to the Leatherman UK Website. As you may know, Whitby & Company are the sole UK Distributor for Leatherman products and we have been for over 25 years. On behalf of the Brand, we have operated the UK website for Leatherman. This Leatherman UK website is no longer active and from Monday (16th January 2023) the brand will be taking control of a UK website via its EU headquarters in Germany. This means that any purchases made from now will be supplied directly to you from the Brand in Germany. 

This change will bring some benefits to you, as certain products that haven’t been available to purchase in the UK before such as apparel and customised tools, will now be available.

We would like to say a massive thank you for your loyal support and custom over the years. You can continue to purchase Leatherman products directly from us in the UK via our other websites - Whitby & Co and Berry. Both of these websites can offer you 24hr and 48hr delivery options.

To thank you for your loyal custom we are pleased to offer you a one-time use discount code on either of the above websites. Simply add the code LOYAL20 at checkout to receive your 20% discount."

Discuss... :duel:
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: LM (UK) Moving to Germany
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 07:57:51 PM
Wonder why the change  :think:

I do hope that it helps all the ones affected instead of hinder though :salute:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 08:05:27 PM
I'm sure it will be hard for them to continue as sole UK distributor if they have no UK presence, physical or web...and UK is no longer EU.  :think:

Will be interesting to see if LM appoints a new UK distributor...
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 08:36:54 PM
It will increase the already ridiculous prices, it will also increase the amount of parcels that are seized and disposed of.

I'm pretty sure it will lead to the demise of LM in the UK, which is exactly what some people want.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 08:48:59 PM
As I read the letter, Whitney & Company values their loyal customers, and that Leatherman is the one severing the outlet from their list of representatives in Europe.

So sorry to learn of this change for our Great Britain members, another obstacle to deal with in this global society.  :pok:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 09:08:52 PM by LoopCutter »
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #5 on: January 13, 2023, 08:54:33 PM
I'm sure this decision makes sense.to someone. But I sure as hell ain't that person. Smashie, I'm afraid, will be dead-on accurate.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: January 14, 2023, 05:36:40 PM
I'm sure this decision makes sense.to someone. But I sure as hell ain't that person. Smashie, I'm afraid, will be dead-on accurate.

:iagree:

I know it's early days yet but I tried to order something (as a test) and the only country shown as a delivery option was - wait for it...Germany  :facepalm:

Now that may change as the takeover happens but, given the prices in Euros are pretty much the same as GBP I'm not sure I'm seeing any benefit to me in the UK.

I don't really want any "merch" and the Garage range wasn't available outside of the US so that may well be the end of me and LM, unless Whitby, Knives and Tools etc. are doing any deals  :dunno:

So much for being a "valued customer" I may have to change my user name  :think: :rofl:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: January 14, 2023, 05:41:49 PM
I am sorry to hear this.  I also think Smashie is spot on tho I sure hope this is not the situation. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #8 on: January 14, 2023, 09:10:44 PM
 :iagree: I may need to set up a knife/multi-tool forwarding service... :think:
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

gb Offline Dexter

Reply #9 on: January 15, 2023, 12:40:36 PM
I had the same email. Fortunately I managed to get my skeletool back from warranty before they close shop.

I wonder how warranty claims will be handled with this change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: January 15, 2023, 01:45:58 PM
Sad news for Leatherman fans in the UK   :(

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #11 on: January 15, 2023, 09:35:53 PM
Dear 'valued' UK customer....

Your country sucks anyway, but since you can't just choose to carry a locking blade without good reason and your post-Brexit regulations are a right royal pain in the bum, we're not making enough money from you.
Therefore we're making you order from a country that has such a hatred for what your government has done, that it often outright refuses to ship to you.

Goodbye and thanks for all the fish,
Leather Man.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: January 16, 2023, 08:29:46 AM

Your country sucks anyway, but since you can't just choose to carry a locking blade without good reason and your post-Brexit regulations are a right royal pain in the bum, we're not making enough money from you.
Therefore we're making you order from a country that has such a hatred for what your government has done, that it often outright refuses to ship to you.

Leather Man.

Sad but true  ::)

Love the "Hitchhiker's Guide" ref'  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

gb Offline Cakemonster

Reply #13 on: January 16, 2023, 02:22:09 PM
Has anyone managed to find the "new" website?
Leatherman.co.uk (Whitby) still exists and as far as Leatherman.com is concerned United Kingdom is not a country in the drop down box...

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #14 on: January 17, 2023, 12:34:46 AM
Has anyone managed to find the "new" website?
Leatherman.co.uk (Whitby) still exists and as far as Leatherman.com is concerned United Kingdom is not a country in the drop down box...

From the email I was sent I presumed it to be this one  :think: Unless they plan on setting up another one :dunno:

https://www.leatherman.com/en_DE/home

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #15 on: January 17, 2023, 02:40:12 AM
The new website has replaced the old one at Leatherman.co.uk
It looks almost identical, but there are some changes - some tools now say they’re “customisable”, we can buy a 2H Wave (no thumb holes, so legal in places where one hand opening is illegal)
The 2H Wave + is £112, £135 for the standard one!
Annoyingly, we don’t have access to everything available in Germany. No Crunch for example, but it’s showing on Leatherman.de

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #16 on: January 19, 2023, 06:28:41 AM

Leather Man.
I wasn't going to be quite that blunt, but you've nailed it.

Quite frankly Whitby have been taking the p*** with their pricing for years. So I'm not sorry to see them lose out.

What is going to f people over is the warranty, posting a bladed article, as a private individual, can be very hit or miss. Such is the ongoing demonising of knives in the UK.

I don't like the direction of the “free” tools, so I won't be missing anything there. So I'll keep looking for the 2 discontinued models I've been after for ages.

I'm not sure fish had anything to do with it (I do get the reference). It seems more of an FU from LM.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #17 on: January 19, 2023, 11:08:26 AM
I'm not sure fish had anything to do with it (I do get the reference). It seems more of an FU from LM.
The reference is deliberately incorrect, reflecting how I believe LM never quite understand their target markets.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #18 on: January 19, 2023, 02:14:10 PM
The reference is deliberately incorrect, reflecting how I believe LM never quite understand their target markets.

Or indeed, dolphins

Curiously enough, the dolphins had long known of the impending demolition of Earth and had made many attempts to alert mankind to the danger. But most of their communications were misinterpreted as amusing attempts to punch footballs, or whistle for titbits, so they eventually gave up and left the Earth by their own means - shortly before the Vogons arrived. The last ever dolphin message was misinterpreted as a surprisingly sophisticated attempt to do a double backwards somersault through a hoop, whilst whistling the ‘Star-Spangled Banner’. But, in fact, the message was this “So long and thanks for all the fish”.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: January 19, 2023, 06:38:14 PM
:iagree:

I know it's early days yet but I tried to order something (as a test) and the only country shown as a delivery option was - wait for it...Germany  :facepalm:

That, and exactly that, always was my problem over here with LM Germany... and wait for it... LM UK !

I could never order anything from either both of them. LM UK only shipped to the UK, and LM Germany to Germany.

And I am in the EU as Germany is.

It just doesn't make any sense to me  :dunno:

gb Offline Cakemonster

Reply #20 on: February 09, 2023, 11:58:28 AM

It just doesn't make any sense to me  :dunno:

...much like the Newsletter from Leatherman, which I subscribed to the other day. It's in Dutch...

Most Dutch folk I've met speak English extremely well (better than me...), unfortunately I can't reciprocate.

"Goed werk, Leatherman "

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #21 on: May 01, 2023, 06:51:00 AM
Is Whitby still handling warranty claims or do the tools have to be sent to Germany ?

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #22 on: May 01, 2023, 08:14:00 AM
Is Whitby still handling warranty claims or do the tools have to be sent to Germany ?

Apparently so, but with a metric f***ton of caveats.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #23 on: May 01, 2023, 09:55:07 AM
Apparently so, but with a metric f***ton of caveats.

I know they are refusing Amazon purchased tools but is there anything specific they are bringing in ?

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #24 on: May 04, 2023, 06:43:23 PM
I know they are refusing Amazon purchased tools but is there anything specific they are bringing in ?
I dunno why LM warranty varies in diffrent countries, example if i send tool to warranty here in Finland they dont care where did you get that tool nor they need receipt for warranty just only tool.

Only Tools Matters

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: May 04, 2023, 06:53:09 PM
 :iagree: I can never get past how LM doesn't regulate things like their warranty with all their distributors  :dunno: :facepalm: :oops:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: May 07, 2023, 03:28:59 PM
 :iagree:  Fix the tool and give the customer great service.  If they cannot fix the tool then replace as they would here in the US.  Regardless of where they are sold if its a legit distributor take care of your customers. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #27 on: May 07, 2023, 04:41:18 PM
 :iagree: Exactly 💯
Barry

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: May 12, 2023, 04:21:16 PM
I guess LM will save substantially on honouring their 25yr warranty as most Brits  will be put off sending abroad for fear of it not returning.

Don’t we get ripped off by import duty now we are out of the EU?
I’m sure I read numerous scare stories of UK peoples EU orders having all kinds of extra fees applied - probably explains why I haven’t bought anything from there since Brexit.

So long as I’m able to get the next LM milestone (40th anniversary model ?? ) I’m not too fussed as I never buy new anyway…way way too expensive.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 04:33:22 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%