Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vintage SAK 30 day challenge May 2023 (SAK’s from 1986 and earlier)

Echotech · 961 · 20293

au Online Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
:like: Great you still have it and use it Fireman :like:

If anyone ever asks which SAK I’d recommend for their first SAK I nearly always suggest the Climber, it’s such a great all round SAK. Easy to carry with a great complement of tools

:cheers:

us Offline psyjohn

A lot of beautiful pics already!
I'm starting with where I started, a 79 Hoffritz Classic. It was my first SAK and I carried it everywhere for about 5 years, when I lost it. This one is identical to it. Bought it a few years ago out of nostalgia.

* 20230501_065431.jpg (Filesize: 171.67 KB)

au Online Echotech

:ahhh real shame you lost your original Hoffritz Psyjohn but good you were able to eventually replace it  :cheers:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
A lot of beautiful pics already!
I'm starting with where I started, a 79 Hoffritz Classic. It was my first SAK and I carried it everywhere for about 5 years, when I lost it. This one is identical to it. Bought it a few years ago out of nostalgia.

Please remember to put the what the day is in front of your post   :tu:

us Offline knifecoop

May 1 - Starting with this older 84 mm Tinker.  She has seen some use, her original scales were in rough shape so  I rehandled her with buffalo horn scales.

* IMG_1298_edited.jpg (Filesize: 314.39 KB)
Cheers!

de Offline peddy v

• ...more like a wizard than a knight
1. May: The candidates for me, a 70s Bijou and my Soldat 08 from 1939. Looking forward to all of your pictures :gimme: edit: after posting i saw you allready posted some very beautiful saks, very nice all:)

* 1. mai.jpg (Filesize: 190.15 KB)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 04:38:57 PM by peddy v »

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Anybody have any tips on loosening up the tools on older knives? I've tried the usual soap, water, brush, and mineral oil, but they're still really stiff. I know some of this is that the springs are simply firmer, but I think there's some real deep in gunk that I haven't managed to work out yet. I was thinking of trying some WD-40, or maybe the ultrasonic cleaner, but wanted to check in first to make sure I didn't damage it.

us Online Adam5

From what I have seen so far, this will be an awesome Challenge  :tu:

Extra Day 1 photo:

I used the main blade to unpackage this exterior outlet cover:

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Day 1:
1947 ish Victorinox huntsman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

de Offline peddy v

• ...more like a wizard than a knight
Anybody have any tips on loosening up the tools on older knives? I've tried the usual soap, water, brush, and mineral oil, but they're still really stiff. I know some of this is that the springs are simply firmer, but I think there's some real deep in gunk that I haven't managed to work out yet. I was thinking of trying some WD-40, or maybe the ultrasonic cleaner, but wanted to check in first to make sure I didn't damage it.

I use the multitool oil from Victorinox, its not cheap but very good and food save. Wd40 is not food save and Ballistol can interact with the ali liners, make it stiffer afterall.

@tjfarrington2000 that Huntsman is fire, tasty:)

00 Offline elsinox

Day 1:
(Image removed from quote.)

Whow what a knife! Dont use it too hard please ;-)

gb Offline MichaelGT83

• No Life Club
Day 1

1983 BYSAK opening some Bank Holiday refreshments.

We have the tools, we have the talent!

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Day 1 - Going with my pre 1971 Victoria Super Tinker. One of my favorites. Replaced scissor spring and upgraded the scales to some patriotic DLT warthog scales.

* IMG_3746.jpg (Filesize: 231.02 KB)

* IMG_3747.jpg (Filesize: 223.32 KB)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 08:20:53 PM by pa_strunk »
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Vintage SAK 30 Day Challenge
Day 1 of 30
1970-ish Pioneer

Didn't find any uses for it today, but it sure did carry well.

* 20230501_075243 (650 x 488).jpg (Filesize: 91.15 KB)
Jason - N4RBZ- A Harley can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no Harley____O~`o__

us Offline psyjohn

:ahhh real shame you lost your original Hoffritz Psyjohn but good you were able to eventually replace it  :cheers:

The folly of youth. I carried it every day in Jr High and High School. That was many years ago. I replaced it with a Climber that I still have. That knife was the beginning of my addiction.

us Offline psyjohn

Day 1:

That is a gorgeous SAK. I have to say I'm a little jealous.

Whow what a knife! Dont use it too hard please ;-)
It's actually my regular EDC, and has been for about a year now! It's built much better than modern Victorinox knives so I'm not all that concerned around damaging it.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Day 1

Decided to work through the knives in reverse date order so I'd have a little more time to clean up the '43.

Used the toothpick as intended, and small blade for mail. Magnifier to check out my thumb after I tore up the nail trying to open the Soldat last night.

* thumb.jpg (Filesize: 126.15 KB)

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
:like: Great you still have it and use it Fireman :like:

If anyone ever asks which SAK I’d recommend for their first SAK I nearly always suggest the Climber, it’s such a great all round SAK. Easy to carry with a great complement of tools

Stay tuned for tomorrow's follow up... ;)

us Offline Sos24

Day 1
The Climber was just blending in

us Offline marlowe221

Day 1

Here’s my early 80s Camper!

IMG_1274.jpg
* IMG_1274.jpg (Filesize: 104.15 KB)

I used it to open this stubborn package of cheese.

IMG_1275.jpg
* IMG_1275.jpg (Filesize: 76.64 KB)

us Offline marlowe221

Also, I would just like to say that I scoured eBay for a Recruit of the right vintage. But it’s not easy to shop for when the tang stamp is really the only thing you have to go on!

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
DAY 01

And we’re off!

Used this 70s era Director to open a package. I’ve been wanting to carry this one a bit more so it will be making some intermittent cameos throughout this challenge.

Picked it up on eBay for $14 and It’s engraved with the letters R.A.B. which I always thought stood for
Radical Association of Badasses  :2tu:

Some mighty fine vintage models so far :ahhh

DAY 01

And we’re off!

Used this 70s era Director to open a package. I’ve been wanting to carry this one a bit more so it will be making some intermittent cameos throughout this challenge.

Picked it up on eBay for $14 and It’s engraved with the letters R.A.B. which I always thought stood for
Radical Association of Badasses  :2tu:

Some mighty fine vintage models so far :ahhh

YOU BOUGHT THAT!  :rant: I wanted that knife and right as I went to buy it the knife sold! Glad it went to a good home!

au Online Echotech

May 1 - Starting with this older 84 mm Tinker.  She has seen some use, her original scales were in rough shape so  I rehandled her with buffalo horn scales.

:like: great job on those scales

au Online Echotech

1. May: The candidates for me, a 70s Bijou and my Soldat 08 from 1939. Looking forward to all of your pictures :gimme: edit: after posting i saw you allready posted some very beautiful saks, very nice all:)

Nice combo peddy, love the old soldiers knives  :like:

au Online Echotech

I feel your pain mate, i've some real nail breakers. I tend to think it's mostly down to the springs as you say   :cheers:

au Online Echotech

Day 1:

:drool: :drool: :drool:

au Online Echotech

Day 1

1983 BYSAK opening some Bank Holiday refreshments.

Very nice Michael, both a BYSAK and a beer, perfect  :like:

au Online Echotech

Day 1 - Going with my pre 1971 Victoria Super Tinker. One of my favorites. Replaced scissor spring and upgraded the scales to some patriotic DLT warthog scales.

Great scales and you gotta love those square philips...good use of the hidden magnet  :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%