Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vintage SAK 30 day challenge May 2023 (SAK’s from 1986 and earlier)

Echotech · 961 · 20120

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Thanks FX glad you enjoyed it and got to put them to the test. Agree re opener layer :cheers:

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Wow - some marathon cooking going on here!  :drool:

Day 30

Back to a Wenger M61 BYSAK from ‘65 for yet more awlsome duty opening up fat blocks (the birds are really getting through these this Spring!) - they never seem to rip open well without a tool, so good job I’ve got a ready supply of SAKs to hand! I have relatively few older SAKs, so none of the tools are that different from their current counterparts with the exception of the awl on the 234k which is more fun to use than the modern backside awl on 91/84mm knives and gives the 93mm awl a good run for its money,though the latter still comes out top imo. It’s been great to see so many vintage knives being put to good use! Thanks for hosting, Echotech (though Coco seems to have lost interest on this one - can’t blame them as SAKs aren’t really for dogs!  :rofl:)!  :cheers: And thanks to you and Comis for the new badge!  :hatsoff:

au Offline Echotech

Thanks Rizio :tu: :hatsoff:

Interesting your thoughts on the awl :think: think I now prefer the 08 old style awl over all newer ones. It was the tool I used the most in the end and made some good screw pilot holes in some shelves and untangled a knot very effectively….mod 61/modern 93mm a close second for me

:cheers:

gb Offline MichaelGT83

• No Life Club
Blimey, I've come on for a quick gander this morning and now I'm absolutely starving!
We have the tools, we have the talent!

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
DAY 30! :nanadance:

This is my most vintage SAK.   If it has a weakness, it's that  I don't carry or use it much.  This challenge forced me to do both, and I'm glad I did. 

Thanks to all fellow challengers for the great pics!

us Offline Adam5

Day 30

This is my only vintage SAK, and man it is great  :D
The only thing I missed was scissors. Everything else about it is top notch  :tu:

Thanks for hosting the challenge, Echo, and congratulations to everyone who has earnes the badge  :cheers:

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club

DAY 29
it was a beautiful day and the 70s Director accompanied me on some adventures. Here it is pictured with a banana plant. No uses but some great memories.
Passed out early last night, so this one is a bit late my bad.

us Offline knifecoop

Day 29 - No major work for the Salesman other than opening a couple of boxes.

Day 30 - back to work in the office, the Salesman will be used to open today's mail.

* IMG_1382_edited.jpg (Filesize: 232.19 KB)
Cheers!

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Day 30:
Finishing strong with a NOS Victoria Ambassador!

This knife has literally never been used, so I figured I’d finish off the challenge with something special! I’d also like to note as one of the reasons this challenge was started I don’t plan on frequently using anything OTHER than a vintage SAK. The build quality of these vintage models is light years ahead of what you can get today, and I see the knife I carry as a personal statement, the same as a vintage watch, and these knives, especially the 30s and 40s models do make quite a statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Also, how do we request the badge?

• No Life Club
Day 30 bonus

Just off the train back from a day in the office in London, so time to exercise the M61 BYSAK ‘65’s bottle opener (my favourite bottle opener - the modern ones work well, but lack the chunkyness of the M61 and its wire stripper blade!  :cheers: :drink:

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
DAY30
Carried and used my 1966 mod61 for some electrical work, the wire stripping portion of the cap lifter is really cool on these  :multi:

* 30_soldier_mod61_elec.jpg (Filesize: 157.91 KB)
Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

gb Offline MichaelGT83

• No Life Club
Day 30

Just a simple shot to finish. It's been a good challenge, I'd like to try a mod 61 from the same era that is in slightly better nick to see how it compares. But I think I'll be reaching for a Pioneer for a bit when the need arises!

We have the tools, we have the talent!

us Offline psyjohn

Hi everyone, I'm sorry but I'm not able to complete the challenge. Between wrapping up the school year, taking a weekend getaway with my wife, and getting ready to leave for a beach vacation, I haven't had time to photograph and post. I had a lot of fun and loved seeing all the beautiful vintage SAKs. I'm also a lot more comfortable carrying some of my shelf queens.

Here's a couple pics I did snap this week of my 60s blue Prince with the detailed metal inlay, and my 60s President (Climber) helping make dinner..

* 20230522_145259.jpg (Filesize: 278.17 KB)

* 20230528_195616.jpg (Filesize: 224.57 KB)

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Day 30

Back to the Huntsman today. I forgot to take a picture of slicing a banana for my students to share, so have a dramatic reenactment. They graduate next week, and none of them went, "IS THAT A KNIFE!?" They've come so far. I'm proud.

Overall Impressions

Huntsman and Explorer: Aside from missing the hook a couple times, no big revelations here. Any four layer SAK is still going to be a great companion for whatever you need, regardless of model, year, etc.

Electrician: Meh. 2 layer Alox is a pretty limited toolset, and I'd rather have the can opener than the electrician's blade. This one will probably come out again someday for an old cross challenge, maybe I'll click with it then.

'43: I always love pulling out an old tool to see how they've changed. I babied this one a little (and it broke a bunch of my nails in return) but it was cool to see what we'd have "back in the day."

I love the giant round awl. It just feels good to use. The can opener was fun, although the modern one is more functional. I didn't get a ton of milage out of the BEEFY flat head, but it sure felt nice and sturdy.

A pleasure to go on this journey with you, gentlefolk.  :salute: I'll see a lot of you next month for the Tweeners!

* bananas.jpg (Filesize: 63.11 KB)

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Vintage SAK 30 Day Challenge
Day 30 of 30
1970-ish Pioneer

Another great challenge is in the history books!! Thanks to everyone who participated and kept it interesting. Congrats to everyone who earned the new badge!!

* 20230530_180046 (1) (650 x 488).jpg (Filesize: 54.52 KB)
Jason - N4RBZ- A Harley can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no Harley____O~`o__

au Offline Echotech

Also, how do we request the badge?

I know there's a thread explaining the process but can't find it, so will have a go myself

On the website, (not Tapatalk if you're using that), go to your Profile (click your user name top left), a little way down the page there's a bar with "Profile info" "Awards" "Modify profile", click on "Awards", then click on "Show available awards".

Find the Vintage SAK award (it's the very last one listed on page 8), on the right hand side there's some small icons, one says request award when you hover over it, click it.
A box will open up asking why you should get the reward, you will need to copy a link to your Day 30 posting and a quick explanation, submit.

That's it, a Mod will do it usually in next 24 hours

:cheers:

au Offline Echotech

Excellent Day 30 guys, great to read your round ups and glad you all enjoyed it, congratulations on your badge  :salute:

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club

DAY 30
Wow Last Day  :o  Badge Requested  :ahhh

This has been a great challenge and it’s been quite wonderful seeing all of the vintage SAKs everyone brought out for this one!  :salute:  :cheers: :salute:

The 1970s, Director accompanied me to PT today. Then the scissors were used to cut open a well deserved chocolate covered ice cream Häagen-Dazs pop. Yum.

No action shot bic was too excited for the ice cream so here is a shot of the 70s Director in all its glory with one of my favorite books on beatles.

Carried the 70s Director a bunch for this challenge, because I wanted to see how it would fare on its own, and for how it compares to my favorite smaller carry the minichamp alox.

The Director is such a great tool set- super dense for its two layer size and extra slim due to the stainless steel alox scales. I’d say for now I can’t really make up my mind because I really enjoy carrying them both for different reasons.  :dunno: time will tell.

As always, it was a pleasure and an honor participating in this challenge with all of you.

Happy trails!

au Offline Echotech

:like: great pic to finish with mate :hatsoff:

us Offline marlowe221

Day 30

Used the main blade on my early 80s Climber to free a banana for my son.

IMG_1344.jpg
* IMG_1344.jpg (Filesize: 99.82 KB)

Looking back on the past month, I can’t say that I have any great revelations. The SAKs I used for this challenge are just slightly earlier versions of current models that I like and frequently carry.

One big difference is that SAKs used to be heavier! Especially the Camper with that stainless steel inlay on the scale and a full height liner between the opener layer and the wood saw that isn’t there on my modern Camper.  At least with the qualifying SAKs I have access to, I’m not sure the additional weight confers any real advantage when it comes to use so I’m glad they’ve lost some weight over the years.

Badge requested please!

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Day 30 - packed and ready to go on another 2 week military adventure for ILE.

* IMG_3830.jpg (Filesize: 216.61 KB)
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

00 Offline elsinox

Day 31 - last day

model no. 40 JRIS

Used the large cutting blade to sharpen a pencil.

Since the blade was sharp, it worked tip-top. For such work, however, I prefer a modern SAK, since the blade tension is usually stronger. Point for the modern SAK.

final score
Vintage 18:13 Modern

Conclusion: exciting challenge. Was surprised myself that the vintage SAK did so well. I think that has something to do with the fact that development at Victorinox is moving towards packing more and more functions into individual tools while at the same time reducing the thickness of the material, which is at the expense of stability.

* 20230509_135103-01_copy_602x954.jpg (Filesize: 199.85 KB)

au Offline Echotech

:tu: :hatsoff: Elsinox, very much enjoyed reading your tests :cheers:

• No Life Club
Congratulations everyone on completing the challenge and thanks for showing such a fascinating variety of vintage SAKness! Thanks mods for the lovely shiny new badge (and to Echotech and Comis for the design)!  :cheers:

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
:like: great pic to finish with mate :hatsoff:

Cheers John and Thanks for hosting this was a great one!  :cheers:

us Offline marlowe221

The badge looks awesome! Thanks for the great challenge and the spiffy new badge! Catch you in the Tweener Challenge tomorrow!

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
DAY31
Let's round this with a knife that came in today : a Wengerinox - Wenger Switzerland mod. 1908 without datestamp but with two cross stamped on the scales soooooo... I don't know if civilian or military, regardless it is from somewhere between 1940 and 1950.

31_mod1908_noDate_WengerInox.jpg
* 31_mod1908_noDate_WengerInox.jpg (Filesize: 163.03 KB)

And below is all the pics of my participation :)

2023_Vintage_Challenge.jpg
* 2023_Vintage_Challenge.jpg (Filesize: 146.76 KB)
Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

au Offline Echotech

Congratulations everyone on completing the challenge and thanks for showing such a fascinating variety of vintage SAKness! Thanks mods for the lovely shiny new badge (and to Echotech and Comis for the design)!  :cheers:

Cheers John and Thanks for hosting this was a great one!  :cheers:

The badge looks awesome! Thanks for the great challenge and the spiffy new badge! Catch you in the Tweener Challenge tomorrow!

Thanks guys :tu: glad you enjoyed it :cheers:

au Offline Echotech

DAY31
Let's round this with a knife that came in today : a Wengerinox - Wenger Switzerland mod. 1908 without datestamp but with two cross stamped on the scales soooooo... I don't know if civilian or military, regardless it is from somewhere between 1940 and 1950.
  [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  

And below is all the pics of my participation :)
  [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]
:drool: perfect way to finish up :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44