Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Higher end knife steel these days?

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Higher end knife steel these days?
Reply #30 on: January 17, 2023, 01:27:28 PM
It's hard to know what people want. Seeing how my own preferences skew over time, it's safe to say I hardly know what I want myself.
But I know this. Neither any of the available SAKs or the Medford ASKs hits the mark for me. But it's much easier to spend around $30-40 on something that isn't quite what you want, than shelling out $240 + shipping and import fees for something that might be even less right (for me).
Further, the pricetag on most SAKs make them a much more compelling alternative as something you can throw around and abuse, and/or a plattform to dabble with modding.

I like what Medford is doing with the ASK, he's adding some of the ingredients SAKs we sometimes miss in our SAKs, but in true Medford style he's overdoing it. To beefy. Too specialized and too pricey.
Something in between, that leans more toward SAKs with regads to "beefyness" and tool density, but with better steels and a more modern tool selection would be a welcome addition.
Agree on the beefiness, some reviewers on YT commented how 'light' the ASK Jefferson was, but in reality, the counterpart in SAK is probably much lighter with high tool density. 

I often hear people talk about 'modernized' tools, and wonder what does it actually means?  More hex and torx bits like the Cybertool?

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: January 17, 2023, 03:51:19 PM
I’ve looked at the ASK knives before, and my first thought was “way too expensive”.

I’m also not thrilled that they have molded plastic scales, especially for the price.

The Malga 6 manages to have G10 or micarta scales and a M390 blade for about $100.  The problem is that, except for the blade, most of the rest of the tools don’t seem to well-designed/well-executed.

Although, with the way SAK prices have been going (for example, most places seem to be listing the Farmer X for $70 now), it starts to make ~$200 for a SAK-alike with upgraded steel look somewhat more reasonable.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: January 17, 2023, 09:16:16 PM
 :iagree:

Well said.  My own taste have changed over time.  I often thougth someone should make SAK replacement blades for those who mod.  Just supply the market with 91, 93, and 111mm blades for swap. 

Steels can be anything from S30V to 20CV.  Not sure how many modders are running about but when I see those Spydernox SAKs it makes me think there is a small but enthusiastic market.  Why remold the SAK or try to compete?  Just supply the market with blades and inline awls for 91mm.  Maybe even other demanded parts.  Are 84mm scissors so hard to make if thats all you did? 

Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: January 17, 2023, 11:42:43 PM
Don't take SAKish too literal as in meaning very similar to Victorinox. The outer shape and size factors are similar, but everything between the scales are very different. :)
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: January 17, 2023, 11:50:26 PM
I often hear people talk about 'modernized' tools, and wonder what does it actually means?  More hex and torx bits like the Cybertool?

I don't think it is a term with a single universal meaning so I have no idea what others would mean. But for me it means exploiting the possibilities of modern manufacturing methods and materials, and disregarding any previous but now irrelevant design guidelines, in order to achieve better function, less weight, better use of space and if possible more elegant.

(Any tool that has been standardized effectively turns into a technological time capsule so within that realm alone there is plenty to explore, although it might be far between the big potentials).

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%