Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Better Armbar Drive alternative

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Better Armbar Drive alternative
on: January 17, 2023, 05:36:35 PM
I had an Armbar Drive, and pretty much hated it. The constantly-collapsing screwdriver was super annoying for me.  But I was surfing a month or so ago, and I found an alternative that works so much better. This: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804548884450.html

The SwissTech brand has been put on some pretty decent multitools of late, and some of them are even sold in stores stateside. (I got a knife tool from Bass Pro, for instance).

Now, like the armbar drive, the screwdriver has a backspring. Unlike the Armbar Drive, this backspring is stiff enough to keep the driver from collapsing under normal usage.  The blade is super sharp right out of the box, and the scissors and package opener work well. Can opener opens cans too, and it's got a nice edge on it.  And it has an extra tool - a saw blade. More AND it has a pocket clip. So much right out of the box that the Armbar Drive completely missed.

The SwissTech is a little fatter and a little longer, but weight in the pocket is similar. But, I actually carry this one because it has a pocket clip.

Looking at this further, it uses the same tools as Walmart's Ozark Trail Multiforce. (In fact there's a SwissTech-branded version of the Multiforce available on Aliexpress).  The scissors, can opener, blade, and saw are all the same. It has one new tool, the package opener/small prybar/small flat head driver.  All of these tools are locking. IMO it would make more sense if the screwdriver were locking, as the other tools work fine with a backspring. But, it's really not that big a deal. I used the bit driver all weekend and it never collapsed on me, even when I was putting serious force on it.

The tool itself is basically one handle from a multiforce. The frame is actually different, and there are a lot of extra components not on a multiforce, but it's the same concept. It doesn't look like half a multitool, it looks like a well-designed knife. It feels good in the hand too. No sharp edges.

Note that I did try modding it. Getting a locking driver could be done, but it's not just an easy swap of the existing tools. The bit holder is re-profiled to work with the backspring, but otherwise it's the same tool as the multiforce has. One would have to get an unmolested bit holder from a multiforce, and then re-profile the existing tools so they work with the backspring. That was more work than I was willing to do, as I really like the tool and want to EDC it for a month before I decide if it stays in the rotation.

So far I'm really enjoying using the tool. It's everything I wanted the Armbar Drive to be.

Charles.

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Better Armbar Drive alternative
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 10:48:45 PM
Nice review.  It does look like it has a lot of utility

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 11:52:23 PM
This is how I have it right now.  I put a longer screwdriver bit in there. The bit driver doesn't have a magnet, but this bit actually jams in place and is held by plenty of friction. I made a little dangling doohickey that can attach directly to the knife, and it stores 4 bits. Usually however I carry the extra bits in my jeans' coin pocket or occasionally from a beltloop.

IMG_1407.jpg
* IMG_1407.jpg (Filesize: 172.31 KB)

IMG_1408.jpg
* IMG_1408.jpg (Filesize: 194.54 KB)

Charles.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 05:12:47 AM
   I own three tools like this, and also the Armbar. All of them are better to me than the Armbar. I would get that one if I could find a US source for it!

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 18, 2023, 09:32:18 PM
I had an Armbar Drive, and pretty much hated it. The constantly-collapsing screwdriver was super annoying for me.  But I was surfing a month or so ago, and I found an alternative that works so much better. This: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804548884450.html

The SwissTech brand has been put on some pretty decent multitools of late, and some of them are even sold in stores stateside. (I got a knife tool from Bass Pro, for instance).

Now, like the armbar drive, the screwdriver has a backspring. Unlike the Armbar Drive, this backspring is stiff enough to keep the driver from collapsing under normal usage.  The blade is super sharp right out of the box, and the scissors and package opener work well. Can opener opens cans too, and it's got a nice edge on it.  And it has an extra tool - a saw blade. More AND it has a pocket clip. So much right out of the box that the Armbar Drive completely missed.

The SwissTech is a little fatter and a little longer, but weight in the pocket is similar. But, I actually carry this one because it has a pocket clip.

Looking at this further, it uses the same tools as Walmart's Ozark Trail Multiforce. (In fact there's a SwissTech-branded version of the Multiforce available on Aliexpress).  The scissors, can opener, blade, and saw are all the same. It has one new tool, the package opener/small prybar/small flat head driver.  All of these tools are locking. IMO it would make more sense if the screwdriver were locking, as the other tools work fine with a backspring. But, it's really not that big a deal. I used the bit driver all weekend and it never collapsed on me, even when I was putting serious force on it.

The tool itself is basically one handle from a multiforce. The frame is actually different, and there are a lot of extra components not on a multiforce, but it's the same concept. It doesn't look like half a multitool, it looks like a well-designed knife. It feels good in the hand too. No sharp edges.

Note that I did try modding it. Getting a locking driver could be done, but it's not just an easy swap of the existing tools. The bit holder is re-profiled to work with the backspring, but otherwise it's the same tool as the multiforce has. One would have to get an unmolested bit holder from a multiforce, and then re-profile the existing tools so they work with the backspring. That was more work than I was willing to do, as I really like the tool and want to EDC it for a month before I decide if it stays in the rotation.

So far I'm really enjoying using the tool. It's everything I wanted the Armbar Drive to be.

Charles.

Nice find Charles  :tu:

I clicked on the link but it's dead (at least in the UK) Could you share the model name/number etc?

Cheers  :cheers:
They don't like it up 'em!

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 20, 2023, 03:50:40 PM
Here's another link:  https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804831473278.html

SwissTech Folding 11 in 1 Multitool

Charles.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: January 29, 2023, 12:00:04 PM
It's nice to see Swiss Tech may be coming back.  Initially their tools were good, but then they seemed more interested in chasing the useless cheap gadget market along with True Utility and Nite Ize. 

Hopefully this is a sign of more positive things to come.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%